-adj. 2. prodigal, profligate, wasteful, extravagant; dissipative, squandering, improvident, thriftless; munificent, generous, open-handed, free-handed, spent, adj. used up, consumed, emptied, drained, depleted; exhausted, prostrate, prostrated, worn-out, jaded, SI. burned-out; played out, U.S. Inf. tuckered out, Inf. beat, beaten, Inf. done for, Inf. done in; fatigued, tired, wearied, weary, fagged out, Inf. bushed; on one's last legs, ready to drop, half-dead, more dead than alive; weak, weakened, feeble, enfeebled, faint, emasculate, emasculated. spew, v. 1. disgorge, spit out, vomit, vomit forth; regurgitate, throw up, heave, be sick, puke, retch, SI. barf, SI. upchuck, SI. blow lunch.
2. gush, issue, spout, spurt; emit, send forth, eject, discharge. sphere, n. 1. globe, ball, orb, round, globoid; globule, spherule, spheroid, oval.
2. planet, moon, star, luminary, heavenly or celestial body, orb.
3. field, domain, realm, district; territory, province, bailiwick, bounds, department; environment, habitat, medium, element; beat, jurisdiction, precinct; office, function, responsibility.
4. discipline, specialization, forte, specialty, expertise, SI. bag, SI. thing, Inf. cup of tea.
5. rank, class, level, stratum, caste; state, station, place, position, standing, status, situation, circumstances; grade, estate, order, range. spherical, adj. globular, global, globulous, globeshaped, globate, globoid, globose, globelike; spheroid, spheroidal, sphery, spheral, orbicular, orbiculate, round, rounded, rotund, bulbous, bulb-shaped; oval, ovate, oviform, ovoid, egg-shaped; elliptical, ellipsoidal, circular, cyclindrical, cyclindroid; bell-shaped, campanulate; pear-shaped, pyriform. spice, n. 1. seasoning, herb, relish, condiment, flavoring, flavor; salt, pepper, cayenne, chili pepper, horseradish, garlic. See seasoning.
2. piquancy, spiciness, pungency, poignancy, sharpness; zest, relish, tang, Inf. twang; bite, sting, edge, race, zip, SI. kick, SI. punch, Inf. ginger; acidity, keenness, hotness, pepperiness, snappiness.
3. appeal, interest, charm, glamor, witchery, provocativeness, invitingness, bewitchery, winning ways; fascination, stimulation, provocation, attraction; liveliness, spirit, vigor, vim.
-v. 4. season, salt, pepper; spruce up, enliven, enhance, improve, heighten, add to, give relish to. spicy, adj. 1. seasoned, spiced, tangy, tart, hot, burning, racy, heady, Inf. zippy, peppery, curried; strong, sharp, nippy; savory, full-bodied, rich; zesty, zestful, well-seasoned, snappy, with a kick; sweet, sweet and sour.
2. aromatic, fragrant, sweet-smelling, scented, balmy, redolent, odorous, odoriferous.
3. piquant, pungent, sharp, biting, poignant; harsh, rough, gamy, caustic; strong, astringent, mordant, piercing, stinging, acerb, cutting, acrid.
4. risqu£, suggestive, off-color, indelicate, improper, indecorous; offensive, unseemly, tasteless, in poor taste, indecent, racy; not fit for delicate ears, bawdy, sexy.
5. Informal, lively, spirited, vigorous, peppy, full of pep, full of vim and vigor; brisk, crisp, hearty, buoyant, enthusiastic; sharp, clever, keen, quick-witted, fast, quick. spigot, n. 1. peg, spill, spile; plug, stopper, stopple, cork, bung; wedge, wad, packing, stuffing; Dentistry. dowel.
2. faucet, tap, valve, cock, petcock, stopcock.