scoop, n. 1. ladle, spoon, dipper, bailer; shovel, backhoe; (of a dredge or backhoe) bucket.
2. hollow, crater, pit, dimple, concavity; hole, cavity, depression, dent.
3. dip, ball, spoonful, ladleful.
4. (of news stories) beat, exclusive.
5. Informal, inside information, SI. poop, Inf. low-down, real story, inside story; facts, information, SI. info, Brit. SI. gen.
-v. 6. ladle, spoon, dip, lade, bail, shovel.
7. hollow out, pit, dent, dig, gouge, excavate.
8. sweep up, gather, haul in, take in.
scope, n. 1. extent, range, reach, compass; depth, width, length, breadth; space, area, expanse, stretch, spread, sweep, span; sphere, orbit, influence, realm. 2. purpose, aim, object, goal, end, target, heart's desire, intent, drift,
scorch, v. 1. char, toast, brown, tan, blacken; blister, sunburn.
2. parch, sear, bake, roast, torrefy, scald, wither, shrivel; heat, singe, burn.
3. excoriate, scathe, denounce, condemn; scarify, flay, lacerate, lash, cut to ribbons, cut up, attack; deride, mock, ridicule; criticize, Inf. knock, SI. rap, SI. slam, rake over the coals, Inf. blast, SI. let [s.o.] have it; castigate, censure.
4. (of crops, towns, land) burn down, set the match to, devastate, raze, destroy, ruin.
scorching, adj. 1. burning, hot, fiery, flaming, sizzling, red-hot, searing, roasting, broiling; sweltering, torrid, hellish, tropical.
2. scathing, caustic, vitriolic, mordant, trenchant, incisive, cutting, sharp; acrimonious, bitter, biting, harsh,
score, n. 1. record of points, reckoning, tally, sum, amount, number, count, computation, calculation.
2. amount due, bill, check, Inf. tab; fee, charge, price; dun, demand for payment.
3. notch, nick, groove, nock, hole, gouge; cut, incision, slit, gash, scotch, slash; crenation, crenelation, crenature, crenel; indentation, indent, dent, dint; chip, flaw, defect.
4. scores multitude, host, mass, crowd, throng, crush, SI. mess, horde; drove, bevy, herd, pack, flock, swarm, school, shoal; army, legion, band, team, troop, company, group, party, body.
5. reason, basis, cause, ground, grounds; inducement, inspiration, impetus, incentive; instigation, incitement, provocation.
a. situation, status, point of progress; story, Inf. latest, scoop,
b. successful move or remark, good hit, coup, master stroke; great idea, bright thought; triumph, victory, conquest; knockout, win, SI. killing.
7. settle a score retaliate, return like for like, give tit for tat, give a blow for a blow, give measure for measure or pound for pound; give [s.o.] a dose or taste of his own medicine, pay [s.o.] back in his own coin, pay back in kind, repay.
-v. 8. make a point, earn a point or points; earn, make, get, SI. hit, SI. cop, SI. bag, SI. catch.
score up reckon, calculate, compute, tally, figure, give a figure to, put a figure on; add up, tally up, sum up, total up, figure up; count, enumerate, numerate, number.
10. notch, nick, nock, gouge; cut, make a cut in, chip; cut into, incise, slit, split, gash, slash; scrape, scratch, scarify; chisel, carve.