nourishing, adj. 1. nutritious, nutritive, alimenta-tive, alimentary, alible; life-giving, life-sustaining, health-giving, healthy, healthful, wholesome, salutary, beneficial, good for you.
2. nurturing, cherishing, fostering; strengthening, furthering, encouraging, promoting, supporting, supportive; contributive, contributing, contributary, conducive, helpful,
nourishment, n. food, nutriment, nutrition, nurture, pabulum, sustenance, sustentation, subsistence; aliment, viands, meat, alimentation, bread or daily bread, groceries, foodstuffs, solids, edibles, Inf. grub, SI. eats, SI. chow, Chiefly Brit. SI. scoff; snack, between-meal snack, bite, nosh, SI. munchies; victuals, provisions, cheer, provender, rations, commons, comestibles, Western U.S. SI. chuck, Brit. SI. prog; board, fare, meals, mess, menu, table, diet, regimen; (all of livestock) feed, fodder, hay, oats, barley, corn, grain, bran, meal, mash; swill, Inf. glop, SI. slop,
nouveau riche, n. new-rich, parvenu, upstart, arriviste, arrivd, Chiefly Brit. SI. bounder.
novel1, n. 1. narrative, story, tale, account, history, chronicle, saga, yarn; fiction, romance, Fr. roman; drama, adventure, mystery, detective novel or fiction, Inf. whodunit, thriller, suspense novel, spy novel, intrigue, science fiction, SI. sci-fi novel, speculative fiction, cowboy story, Inf. Western, historical novel, war novel, Gothic novel, love story, problem novel, psychological novel, novel of manners, comic novel, picaresque novel, Fr. roman a clef fictionalized account; serialized novel, dime novel, penny dreadful; light reading, bedtime reading, summer reading; latest novel, best seller.
2. book, volume, edition, tome, publication; paperback, pocket book, soft-cover, hard-cover, title, offering, trade book, juvenile, Inf. pot boiler; writing, work, brainchild, opus, magnum opus, great work, classic, standard work; piece of writing, composition, opuscule, production, literary production, literature.
novel2, adj. 1. new, newfashioned, neoteric, unprecedented, original, imaginative, creative, unhackneyed; advanced, recent, late, modern; latest, newest, last, hot, just out, hot off the press, hot off the griddle or fire, up-to-the-minute, spanking, brand-new, late-model, modernistic, futuristic, ultramodern, revolutionary, avant-garde, SI. far out, SI. way out, newfangled, new as tomorrow.
2. fresh, fresh as a daisy, new as a new day; first, first of its kind, bright, clever; initial, natal, pristine, raw, new-fledged, newborn, the latest thing, trendsetting, breakthrough; unused, unhandled, unhandseled, untouched, unexplored, uncharted, unventured, untrodden, unbeaten; untested, untried, unknown, experimental, still on the drawing board, worth exploring, worth looking into.
3. refreshed, renewed, restored, reinvigorated, revivified, reborn, renascent, regenerated; changed, rebuilt, recreated, reconstructed, remodeled, modernized.
4. unfamiliar, outside of one's previous experience, hitherto unknown, unheard of, something else, another story, a horse of a different color; distinctive, noteworthy, singular, exceptional, extraordinary, uncommon, not something you see every day; rare, unique, out of the ordinary, off the beaten path or track; different, strange, unusual, curious, foreign, alien, exotic, from another world; quaint, droll, bizarre, odd, arresting, boggling, surprising, astonishing, startling, amazing, remarkable, Inf wild, Inf. crazy; outlandish, far-fetched, peculiar, unconventional, fanciful, freakish, unaccustomed, unwonted.