port, livelihood, sustenance, sustainment, sustenta-tion, necessaries, provision; board and lodging, room and board; nourishment, nurture, nutriment, aliment, rations, fare, diet, regimen, grubstake.
13. inner tower, donjon, dungeon, stronghold, fastness; castle, chateau, citadel; fort, fortress, fortification.
14. for keeps a. seriously, intently, gravely, sincerely, earnestly, soberly, grimly, determinedly, resolutely,
b. finally, permanently, resolutely, unequivocally, ultimately, conclusively; once and for all, for good, forever.
keeper, n. 1. jailer, SI. screw, turnkey, sheriff; guard, warden, doorkeeper, watchman; sentry, sentinel, outpost.
2. guardian, chaperon, (in Spain and Portugal) duenna; escort, bodyguard, convoy; governess, nurse, wet nurse, dry nurse, nursemaid, (in India and the Orient) amah, U.S. mammy; guardian angel; lifeguard.
3. manager, proprietor, owner, entrepreneur; superintendent, director, supervisor, administrator, executive; maintenance man, janitor, custodian, caretaker, housekeeper, concierge, steward; curator, conservator; overseer, proctor, procurator.
4. (all of animals) gamekeeper, game warden; cow-keeper, cowboy, cowpuncher, cowgirl, drover, herder, herdsman, herdboy, cowherd; swineherd, goatherd, gooseherd, shepherd, shepherdess, sheeprancher; stockman, breeder, trainer; stableman, equerry, groom, ostler, hostler; beekeeper, apiculturist, apiarist.
keeping, n. 1. agreement, congruity, harmony, conformity; correspondence, accordance, concurrence, accord, consistency; likeness, similarity, uniformity, resemblance, affinity, similitude; proportion, balance, evenness, parallelism; compliance, obedience, assent, concession, consent, acquiescence, acknowledgment, accommodation; performance, observance.
2. protection, safekeeping, safeguard; care, charge, custody; auspices, aegis, patronage; guardianship, trusteeship, Law. ward, tutelage, wardenship, detention, protectorship, protectorate.
3. keep, subsistence, maintenance, upkeep, support. See - keep (def. 12).
4. retaining, preserving, reserving, keeping in possession, maintaining; saving, hoarding, amassing, husbanding, storing up, putting by for a rainy day; holding, holding fast, gripping, embracing, grasping, clutching.
keepsake, n. remembrance, memento, relic, souvenir, favor, token, token of remembrance, token of appreciation.
keg, n. barrel, cask, hogshead, puncheon, butt, tierce, tun, rundlet; vat, tank, tub, firkin; container, vessel.
ken, n. 1. cognizance, knowledge, familiarity, acquaintance; percipience, discernment, discrimination; perception, apprehension, comprehension, understanding, appreciation; awareness, consciousness, sentience, sensibility, sensitivity; realization, recognition, notice.
2. purview, field of vision, field of view, vision, visibility, view, range of vision, eyeshot, eyesight, sight.
kennel, n. 1. doghouse, doghole; dog pound, dog shelter.
2. lair, den, cave, hole, burrow; shelter, hiding place, haunt.
kerchief, n. scarf, babushka, headdress, kaffiveh; neckerchief, muffler, bandana, handkerchief, cloth.
kernel, n. 1. grain, seed, stone, Embryol. germ, nut, nutlet, nutmeat, meat.
My Account / Test History
I put my watch with the radio news.
I set my watch by the radio news.