3. formality, stiffness, primness; remoteness, inaccessibility, aloofness, reserve; reticence, unfriendliness, unsociability, unamicability; standoffishness, sternness, severity, austerity, seriousness, lack of humor. frill, n. 1. fringe, border, trimming; ruff, ruffle, flounce, furbelow, galloon; valance, orphrey, purfle; decoration, ornament, flourish.
2. finery, frippery, frilliness, frills and furbelows, falderal, fuss, frou-frou, Inf. foofaraw, SI. jazz; affectation, ostentation, meretriciousness, flamboyance, showiness, SI. flash.
fringe, n. 1. border, trimming; frill, ruff, ruffle, flounce, furbelow; filigree, decoration, ornament.
2. perimeter, periphery, edge, rim, verge, skirt.
3. Slang, fringe benefit, bonus, extra, plus; perquisite, Inf. perk. See - emolument (def. 1).
fringed, adj. trimmed, befringed, fimbriate; bordered, edged, skirted; decorated, ornamented, embellished.
frippery, n. 1. finery, best clothes, best bib and tucker, Inf. Sunday clothes, Inf Sunday best, Inf. Sunday-go-to-meetings, SI. glad rags, SI. heavy threads.
2. frilliness, frills, frills and furbelows, falderal, trumpery, gaudery, fuss, Inf. foofaraw, SI. jazz; ostentation, meretriciousness, flamboyance, showiness, show, flashiness, SI. flash; gaudiness, garishness, tawdriness.
3. decorations, ornamentation, adornments, tinsel, spangles; trifles, trinkets, baubles, knickknacks, gim-cracks, gewgaws, Inf. doodads, Inf. fandangles.
frisk, v. frolic, cavort, gambol, caper, cut capers, curvet, skip, trip, jump about, romp,
frisky, adj. lively, active, animated, spirited, coltish, Inf. full of beans, Inf. full of pep; gay, exuberant, joyful; playful, sportive, frolicsome,
fritter, v. 1. squander, dissipate, waste, scatter, disperse; spend, spend money like water, spend to the last penny or farthing, SI. blow, overspend; gamble away, fool away, misuse, misspend; while away, idle away, dilly-dally, putter, dawdle.
2. shred, tear up, rip up, clip, cut up, strip, make into confetti; grate, pulverize, shiver, crumble, splinter, shatter.
3. dwindle, shrink, lessen, decrease; degenerate, deteriorate, dry up, drain away, ebb.
-n. 4. shred, fragment, piece, scrap, remnant, bit,
ort, morsel; snip, chip, rag, tatter, wisp,
frivolity, n. light-heartedness, gaiety, levity, lightness; foolishness, folly, silliness, fribble, puerility, frivolousness; clownishness, zaniness, buffoonery; triviality, superficiality, shallowness.
frivolous, adj. 1. trivial, trifling, fribbling, yeasty, nugatory, niggling, Inf. piddling; unimportant, insignificant, inconsiderable, petty, paltry, SI. small-time, SI. two-bit; superficial, shallow, inane, empty, vacuous; light, airy, frothy, slight, flimsy.
2. flighty, giddy, dizzy, facetious, lightsome, flyaway; scatterbrained, featherbrained, birdbrained, SI. gaga.
3. idle, silly, foolish, asinine; childish, immature, juvenile, puerile.
frizzle1, v. 1. friz, crinkle, scallop, ripple, corrugate; crisp, crimp, crape; curl, turn up, wave, flip. -n. 2. curl, twist, roll, coil, crinkle; ringlet, curlicue, lovelock.
frizzle1, v. 1. sizzle, sputter, hiss, sibilate, fizz, fizzle, effervesce, popple.
2. fry, grill, roast, bake, broil, barbecue,
frock, n. 1. dress, gown, garment, tunic, sari,