2. obscenity, Sl. raunch, pornography, Inf porn.
-v. 3. soil, smudge, smear, streak, smutch. See - smudge (def. 2). smutty, adj. 1. dirty, sooty, unclean, grimy, Sl. grungy, filthy, muddied, dirt-encrusted; soiled, sullied, stained, spotted, smudged, smeared, streaked, smutched, smirched; begrimed, besmeared, besmirched, bedaubed.
2. indecent, obscene, suggestive, risqu^, racy, offcolor, dirty; vulgar, ribald, bawdy, gross, low, Sl. gutter, coarse, earthy, rude, crude, offensive, tasteless; pornographic, blue, Sl. raunchy, salacious, lewd; lascivious, lustful, concupiscent, prurient, libidinous, Archaic. lickerish, perverted; wanton, loose, promiscuous, libertine, dissolute, profligate, immoral, shameless.
snack, n. 1. nosh, bite, bite to eat, between-meal snack, light or small meal, light lunch; canap^, hors d'oeuvre, appetizer, tidbit, morsel, nibbles ornibblies, Sl. munchies.
-v. 2. nosh, nibble, Sl. munch or munch out, eat between meals, pop [s.t.] into one's mouth, sneak [s.t.] to eat, eat on the sly.
snag, n. 1. concealed log, projection, prominence. 2. impediment, hindrance, encumbrance, obstacle, obstruction, stumbling block, road block; knot, hitch, curb, bit, tether; inhibition, restriction, determent, damper, restraint; bar, barrier, block, counteraction, embargo, stricture, blockade; opposition, objection, discouragement, difficulty, drawback, disadvantage; problem, catch, complication, intricacy, Gordian knot; delay, hang-up, snarl, tangle, bottleneck, red tape, interference, setback, drag,
snake, n. 1. serpent, viper, pit viper, ophidian, sea snake, Archaic, dragon, cockatrice.
2. snake in the grass, traitor, quisling, turncoat, renegade, Benedict Arnold; double-dealer, Inf. double-crosser, betrayer, Judas; fifth-columnist, informer, subversive, double agent; spy, company spy, Sl. fink, Sl. weasel, Sl. stool; pigeon, Sl. stoolie; swindler, Sl. con artist, Sl. con man, Inf. flimflammer; seducer, perverter, wolf in sheep's clothing, beguiler; intriguer, Machiavelli, Rasputin, Sl. string-puller, power behind the throne, maneuverer, contriver, schemer, plotter,
snaky, adj. 1. serpentine, anguine, colubrine; snake-infested, snake-ridden.
2. twisting, winding, sinuous. See - serpentine (def. 2).
3. venomous, poisonous, toxic, baneful, virulent; malignant, malicious, malevolent; noxious, pernicious, injurious, destructive; spiteful, vicious, acrimonious; treacherous, treasonous, faithless, traitorous, perfidious, disloyal, two-faced; untrustworthy, sneaky, sly, cunning; insidious, subtle, beguiling; deceitful, guileful, underhanded, furtive, slippery.
snap, v. 1. crack, crackle, crepitate, decrepitate, pop; click, clink.
2. catch, hook, pin, clasp, secure; link, couple, clinch.
3. break, fracture, fragmentize, splinter, shiver, chip; separate, cleave, sunder, disjoint, sever.
4. sparkle, flash, twinkle, dance; glow, radiate.
snap at bite, nip, gnash, growl at, lunge at; attack, lash out at, loose one's temper, Inf. fly off the handle; be abrupt, be short, be brusque, be curt.
snap up or
off seize, take, grab, nab, pluck hook, pounce upon, swoop down on.
7. snap out of it Informal, recover, get over, come around, revive; pull oneself together, get a hold or a grip on oneself; perk up, cheer up, liven up.
-n. 8. crack, crackle, pop; click, clink, clank.
9. catch, fastener, coupler, copula, hook, pin, clasp.
10. Informal, briskness, vigor, energy, vitality, get up and go; animation, liveliness, sprightliness, vivacity, spirit; dash, dan, zest, verve, flair, panache, zing; bounce, sparkle, Inf. zip, Inf. pep, SI. oomph.