6. court, lane, way, drive, circle; alley, Chiefly Brit. mews, Chiefly Brit, terrace; road, avenue, street.
7. house, home, abode, dwelling, domicile, residence, habitation, Scot. howf; lodgings, quarters, living quarters, rooms, accommodations, housing, roof over one's head, Inf. pad, Brit. Inf. digs; apartment, flat, tenement, walk-up, Brit, chambers.
8. lieu, stead, substitution, exchange.
9. go places Slang, progress, make progress, advance, gain, proceed, get along, come on, come along, make steps, make headway, make strides or rapid strides; succeed, make it, make it big, SI. go far.
10. in place in position, in trim, in order, set in order, set up, ordered, arranged, Inf. to rights.
11. out of place a. out of order, in disorder, disorderly, disorganized, disarranged, deranged, in a mess, helter-skelter, higgledy-piggledy, skimble-skamble, topsy-turvy, SI. arsy-varsy. b. inapposite, out-of-line, out-of-bounds, out-of-step, out-of-keeping; unseemly, unbecoming, improper, off-color.
12. put someone in his place humble, humiliate, mortify, bring down, Inf. take or bring down a notch or peg, SI. put down, make [s.o.] eat humble pie, Inf. make [s.o.] eat crow, Inf. make [s.o.] eat his words, Inf. make [s.o.] swallow his pride.
13. take place happen, Archaic, hap, occur, come to pass, come to be, come about, come, Inf. come off; befall, supervene, betide, chance, Archaic, bechance, Archaic, arrive; transpire, intervene, crop up.
-v. 14. arrange, order, dispose, array, assort, col locate; group, sort, classify, class, categorize, bracket; size, grade, graduate, rank.
15. lay, set, put, seat, posit; locate, situate, position, pinpoint; quarter, house, reposit, deposit; consign, localize, post, station.
16. hire, engage, employ, retain, secure the services of, contract with; enlist, sign on, take on, Inf. take on board.
17. appoint, commission, charge, entrust, commit, depute, delegate; invest, install, induct, ordain; specify, fix, determine, prescribe.
18. identify, recognize, know, make out, Inf. spot, Inf. nail, Inf. peg.
placement, n. 1. arrangement, disposition, disposal, deployment, ordering, arraying; emplacement, situation, positioning, locating, stationing; categorization, classification, stratification, ranking, grouping, pigeonholing; assortment, sorting, sorting out; attribution, ascription, imputation.
2. employment, engagement, hiring, Inf taking on; appointment, assignment, instatement, installment, ordination, investiture; commission, delegation, deputation.
placid, adj. 1. quiet, quiescent, calm, tranquil, serene, undisturbed, halcyon, Brit. Dial. (of places) bonny; still, stock-still, Chiefly Literary, stilly; unmov-ing, unmoved, immovable, immobile; motionless, stationary, becalmed.
2. peaceful, peaceable, pacific, restful, reposeful; sleepy, sleeping, slumbering, slumberous, slumbery, dozing, dozy, drowsing, drowsy, somnolent; inactive, latent, dormant, dormient.
3. composed, collected, self-possessed; steady, equable, level, level-headed; even-tempered, temperate, moderate, cool, cool-headed; unexcited, inex-citable, unruffled, unagitated, unperturbed, imperturbable; unemotional, unimpassioned, unimpassion-ate, impassive, dispassionate; stoical, philosophical.
4. reserved, reticent, taciturn, uncommunicative;