white, adj. 1. snowy, snow-white, niveous, ivory, creamy; milky, milk-white, opalescent, opaline, pearly, nacreous; marble, marmoreal; chalky, chalk-white, cretaceous; whitish, albescent; white-hot, candent.
2. light-skinned, Caucasoid, Caucasian.
3. pallid, pale, peaked, wan, ashen; pasty, sallow, waxen; sickly, faint, drained, bloodless, anemic; ghastly, deathlike, cadaverous.
4. colorless, lackluster, dull, dingy, dun, hueless, Optics. achromatic; bland, nondescript, vanilla, insipid; uncolorful, ordinary, Sl. blah.
5. silvery, gray, smoky, hoary, Rare, hoar, grayhaired, white-haired, (of plants) canescent; grizzled, grizzly.
6. pure, unsullied, unstained, stainless, spotless; immaculate, virtuous, undefiled, chaste, innocent, virginal.
whiten, v. 1. blanch, bleach, pale, gray, wash out; etiolate, achromatize, decolor, decolorize; dim, fade, cloud, grow dull, lose luster or brightness.
2. blench, go white, pale, grow pale, become pallid, Archaic, wan; droop, flag, sag, faint, sink to the floor, Inf. pass out, swoon, black out, Inf. keel over,
whitewash, v. 1. calcimine, whiten, Archaic, white; paint over, coat, cover.
2. cover up, gild, color, varnish, gloss over, smooth over, veneer; sweeten, sugar-coat, candy-coat, dulcify; lighten, soften, lessen, diminish, moderate, temper, qualify; palliate, extenuate, minimize, make light of, soft-pedal, tone down, play down, downplay; justify, excuse, rationalize, apologize for, make allowances for.
whiz, v. 1. whir, burr, hum, buzz, hiss, whistle; rustle, swish; fizzle, sizzle.
2. rush, race, tear, fly, fly on the wings of the wind, outstrip the wind, zoom, Inf. zip; whisk, flit, shoot, dart, skim; scurry, scud, scuttle, scamper,
whole, adj. 1. entire, full, total, plenary, integral, complete, round, aggregate; comprehensive, universal, inclusive, all-inclusive, all-embracing; extensive, extended, widespread; full, filled, pregnant.
2. solid, unbroken, unsevered, uncut, unshorn, unshortened, unabridged, all in one, unitary; undivided, indiscrete, indivisible, undividable, indiscerptible, inseparable; undiminished, unlessened, unreduced, unabated.
3. sound, indissoluble, intact, hale, hearty, in one piece; healthy, vigorous, robust, strong, recovered, well; unimpaired, undamaged, unharmed, uninjured, unscathed, unmutilated, undecayed, inviolate; pure, unmixed, unmingled, unblended, unalloyed; faultless, flawless, defectless; unblemished, spotless, unspotted, stainless, taintless, untainted, unsullied, unsoiled.
4. self-contained, self-supporting, autonomous, independent; well-rounded, all-sided, fully realized, consummate, enlightened.
5. thorough, thoroughgoing, exhaustive, in-depth, A to Z, Brit. A to Zed, Brit. Dial, gradely; absolute, dyed-in-the-wool, full-fledged, complete; utter, gross, rank, sheer, radical, sweeping; outright, downright, out-and-out, straight-out, all-out, across-the-board; unqualified, unmodified, uncompromised, unconditional, unconditioned, unreserved, unmitigated; unrestricted, unlimited, unhampered, unimpeded, unbounded; unequivocal, clear, unambiguous, explicit, express.
6. out of whole cloth fictitious, untrue, false, unreal, fanciful; imaginary, imagined, invented, improvised, created, feigned, fabricated. -n. 1. aggregate, collective, ensemble, Fr. tout ensemble, assemblage, unit; all, alpha and omega, beginning and end, length and breadth; entire amount,