brew, v. 1. steep, soak, ferment; cook, stew, boil, simmer, seethe, decoct; mix, concoct, stir up, blend, make, prepare, commix.
2. contrive, bring about, think up, hatch, spin, coin, forge; invent, design, shape, devise, plan, get up, Inf. cook up; start, organize, begin.
-n. 3. mixture, concoction, fermentation, stew, potpourri; creation, formula; beer, ale.
bribe, n. 1. graft, Inf. kickback, Inf. payola, Inf. plugola, Inf. hush money, Inf. protection or protection money, SI.boodle; inducement, lure, reward, gift, gratuity.
-v. 2. pay off, buy, buy off, suborn, corrupt, SI. grease [s.o.'s] palm; fix, Inf. rig, Inf. square; induce, tempt, lure, entice, coax, influence.
bridal, adj.nuptial, wedding, marriage, matrimonial; conjugal, hymeneal; marital, spousal, connubial; nubile, marriageable.
bride, n. wife, spouse, Inf. better half, Inf. missis, Inf. little woman, Scot. Inf. wifey, Rhyming SI.
trouble and strife; mate, helpmeet, partner. See - partner (def 3).
bridge, n. 1. span, viaduct, Scot.
brig; overpass, Brit,
2. connection, link, bond, tie.
-v. 3. span, cross, traverse, go over, extend over, pass over, arch over; join, conjoin, connect, unite, link, tie.
bridle, n. 1. halter, hackamore, headgear, headstall; governor, control, restraint, trammel, check, curb.
-v. 2. restrain, check, curb, arrest, hold back, keep back; control, govern, keep in check.
3. bristle, raise one's hackles, get one's back up.
brief, adj.1. momentary, temporary, of short duration, short; impermanent, mortal, unenduring, fleeting, passing, fading; transitory, transient, fugacious, caducous, deciduous, monohemerous, monemerous, evanescent, ephemeral; mercurial, volatile, perishable, precarious; fast, swift, brisk, sudden, quick, fleet, meteoric; cursory, hurried, hasty.
2. concise, succinct, to the point, short and sweet; short-winded, straightforward, direct, pointed, emphatic; abbreviated, abridged, condensed, compressed, summarized, thumbnail, curtailed, curtate, contracted, Obs. breviate; compact, lean, compendious, packed, close, neat; comprehensive, summary, synoptic, Inf. meaty; pithy, sententious, epigrammatic, crisp, precise, exact, gnomic; laconic, terse, elliptical, breviloquent, Rare,
pauciloquent; reticent, halting, sparing of words.
3. curt, sharp, abrupt, short-spoken, short; cutting, biting, sarcastic, acute, keen; caustic, acrimonious, virulent, mordant, trenchant; sullen, tart, sour, petulant, splenetic, choleric, acetose; testy, edgy, touchy, grouchy, irascible, short-tempered, short-fused; crabbed, crabby, peevish, snapping, snarling, growling, bearish, currish, waspish; brusque, brash, gruff, peppery, surly, crusty, thorny; unmannerly, rude, impolite, discourteous, ungraceful; stern, austere.
4. outline, sketch, draft, analysis, abstract, resume, syllabus; compendium, survey, synopsis, summary, precis, conspectus, prospectus; digest, epitome, extract, excerpt, minutes, pandect.
5. argument, demonstration, data, ground, proof, evidence; memorandum, memo, minute, entry, document, list of agenda, list of items; writ, warrant, summons, subpoena, injunction, Rom. Cath. Ch.
6. briefs underpants, underwear, underdrawers, drawers, SI.skivvies, SI.undies, Trademark.
Fruit of the Looms, trunks, Brit,