retouch, v. touch up, brush up, furbish; rework, revamp, renovate, refurbish, recondition, refresh.
retract1, v. draw back or in, pull back or in, withdraw, abduce, Physiol, abduct, Dentistry, retrude.
retract2, v. 1. disavow, recant, unsay, withdraw, take back, Inf. eat or swallow one's words; deny, gainsay, renounce, forswear, abjure; repudiate, disclaim disown; back down or out of, renege, backtrack, backpedal, shift one's ground, Inf. flip-flop, about-face, do an about-face, change one's mind, tergiversate.
2. revoke, annul, disannul, nullify, void, declare null and void, cancel; rescind, recall, repeal, dissolve, abolish, abrogate; reverse, override, overrule, set aside, quash, countermand, counterorder,
retraction, n. 1. disavowal, recantation, unsaying, withdrawal, taking back, retractation; palinode; denial, renunciation, abjuration; repudiation, disclaimer, disowning; reversal, Inf. flip-flop, backtracking, back-pedaling, tergiversation.
2. revocation, annulment, disannulment, nullification, voidance, cancellation; rescission, repeal, dissolution, abolition, abolishment, abrogation,
retreat, n. 1. (all usu. of armed forces) strategic withdrawal, countermarch, volte-face, recoil, pullout, rout, evacuation, exodus, stampede, katabasis.
2. departure, flight, hegira, escape, getaway.
3. backing away, reversal, about-face, turnabout, Inf. flip-flop, backtracking, back-pedaling, retraction, disavowal.
4. receding, recession, retrocession; ebb, reflux, refluence; falling back, regression, retrogression, relapse, reversion, retrogradation.
5. retirement, withdrawal, seclusion, isolation, solitude, privacy; rustication; concealment, obscurity, exile, separation, reclusion; recess, rest, respite, sabbatical.
6. refuge, haven, asylum, shelter, sanctuary, sanctum sanctorum, ark, covert, hermitage, hideaway; cloister, monastery, friary, abbey, priory, convent, nunnery.
7. cabin, cottage, cot, hut, bungalow, shack, shanty; villa, lodge; den, lair, hibernaculum, hibernacle; nest, aerie, perch, roost; cell, study, library, Brit, snuggery.
8. fortress, fastness, stronghold, keep; dugout, bivouac.
-v. 9. (usu. of troops) recoil, flee, take flight, turn tail, beat a retreat; pull or drop back, give way, give or lose ground, back away or off, fall back.
10. escape, make off, cut and run, make a getaway, get clear of, take to one's heels, show a clean pair of heels, give [s.o.] the slip.
11. depart, leave, go off, withdraw; decamp, evacuate, vacate.
12. recede, slope backward, move back, retrocede, retire, ebb.