hungry, adj. 1. starving, famishing, craving, esurient, appetitive; hungering, ravening, ravenous, sharp-set; famished, starved, peckish; half-starved, halffamished, hungry as a bear, growling.
2. desirous, wishful, wistful, longing, yearning, pining; solicitous, desiderative, needing, wanting; covetous, greedy, avaricious, voracious, rapacious; devouring, gobbling, grasping; eager, hungering, Inf hankering; keen on, bent on, set on, itching to, aching to, dying to, fain to, Inf. spoiling for; desiring, libidinous, lusting, lustful.
3. poor, barren, sterile, Bot. acarpous, fallow; spare, lean, thin, slight, meager, jejune; depleted, unproductive, unfertile, fruitless; underfed, undernourished, stinted, malnourished, starved; worn, wasted, emaciated, gaunt, hollow, wizened.
hunk, n. 1. Informal, chunk, large piece, block, square; portion, serving, share, Inf. whack, part; cut, slice, wedge, chop, slab, rasher, Brit. Dial, collop; mass, lump, clump, clod; mound, Inf. gob, dollop, blob. 2. Adonis, god; he-man, Inf. bruiser, muscle-man.
hunt, v. 1. chase, give chase, run down or after, make after, pursue, course, Brit, chevy, (in India) shikar, follow close or hot on one's heels; hound, dog, hawk, pigstick; stalk, still-hunt, track, trail, follow, shadow, haunt, Inf. tail; track down, hunt down, trace down, search out, seek out; ferret out, drive out, chase out, put to flight.
hunt up or
out search or search for, quest for, go in search or quest for, treasure-hunt, look for, seek or seek for; dig for, dive for, fish or fish for, try to find, forage for, scrounge around, rummage through; ransack, go through, take apart, dismantle, turn everything upside down or inside out; leave no stone unturned, search thoroughly, rake, scour, look high and low, look all over or everywhere; explore, delve into, investigate, study, research, Inf. check out, examine, go over with a fine-tooth comb; ask around, query, question, inquire into, look into, pry into; search out, nose out, sniff out, find out.
-n. 3. pursuit, chase, chasing, hunting, sport, sporting, course, coursing, (in India) shikan, Brit, chevy, Archaic. venery; hawking, falconry, Chiefly Brit, beagling, fox hunting; stalking, still hunt, tracking or tracking down, hunting down; pursuing, following, trailing, Inf. tailing.
4. search, forage, rummage, ransacking; quest, treasure hunt, exploration, look, Sl. look-see; inquiry, investigation, study, research.
hunter, n. 1. huntsman, huntress, gunner, chaser, courser, Fr. chasseur, (in India) shikari, sportsman; pursuer, stalker, tracker; deer-stalker, fox hunter, hawker, falconer, pig-sticker.
2. seeker, searcher, quester, treasure hunter, explorer.
3. hunting horse, stalking-horse, hunting mount; hunting dog, hound, Southern U.S. Dial, hound dog; foxhound, retriever, deerhound.
hunting, n. pursuing, chasing, sporting, coursing. See - hunt (def. 3).
huntsman, n. hunter, gunner, chaser, courser. See - hunter (def. 1).