2. fuss, bustle, scuffle. See - scuffle (def. 2).
scutcheon, n. escutcheon. See - escutcheon (def. 1).
scuttle1, v. 1. hurry, scurry. See - scurry (defs. 1, 2).
-n. 2. quick or running pace, run, dead run, gallop, full gallop.
3. dash, sprint, race, clip, career, speed, scud, swoop; burst, burst of speed, spurt; rush, plunge, headlong rush or plunge; scoot, scamper, scurry.
scuttle1, v. 1. sink, swamp, send to the bottom,
send to Davy Jones's locker.
2. abandon, ditch, forsake, desert, quit, leave, give up on; withdraw, back out, pull out, Inf. stand down.
3. wreck, ruin, destroy, scotch, SI. dish; do for, undo, do in, Inf fix, Sl. put the kibosh on.
scuttlebutt, n. Informal, rumor, grapevine, See - rumor (def. 1).
sea, n. 1. ocean, ocean blue, brine, Inf. briny,
Inf. briny deep, Chiefly Literary, the deep, deep blue sea, Neptune's kingdom, hydrospace, Inf. the drink, Sl. the big drink; open ocean or sea, Literary, main, Literary, bounding main, high sea; Neptune, Poseidon, Naut. Davy Jones's locker.
2. wave, swell, heave, billow, surge, roller, breaker, Physics, undulation.
3. abundance, superabundance, plethora, profusion, flood, spate, Inf. lot, Inf. raft; ton, mountain, pile, heap, stack, load, slew, mint, million, trillion, Inf. zillion; host, army, legion; Inf. lots, Inf. tons, Inf. heaps, Inf oodles, Inf. gobs, Sl. scads.
4. at sea perplexed, bewildered, baffled, confused, mystified, at a loss, Inf. beat; uncertain, unsure, undecided; adrift, astray, lost, disoriented, off the track, out of one's bearings.
seacoast, n. seashore, shore, seaside, seaboard, strand, shore, coast, littoral, water's edge; shoreline, coastline, strand line; beach, sands, sand, foreshore, inning, Fr. plage, Chiefly Brit, shingle.
seal1, n. 1. emblem, representation, symbol, badge, insignia, regalia, token, sign, mark; label, monogram, cartouche, signet, stamp, imprint; coat of arms, escutcheon, crest; seal ring, ring, medallion, die.
2. sealant, sealing wax, adhesive, tape, stamp; closure, fastening, fastener, lock, bolt, bar; clasp, catch, snap, hook and eye.
3. assurance, pledge, promise, vow, oath, word of honor; guaranty, guarantee, warrant, warranty, contract, bond, security, surety, confirmation.
-v.4. affix a seal to, set one's seal to, authorize, sanction, approve, endorse, sign, stamp, Inf O.K.;