snitch, cabbage; peculate, embezzle, misappropriate, pocket, shark; shoplift, SI. boost, walk off or away with, help oneself to, make free with, Euph. remove,
piratical, adj. 1. plundering, pillaging, marauding, buccaneering, privateering, piratic, piratelike; preying, predatory, predacious, rapacious; thievish.
2. criminal, felonious, lawless, unprincipled, unscrupulous, crooked, corrupt; dishonest, fraudulent, underhand, underhanded.
pirouette, n. 1. spin, twirl, whirl; pivot, turn, revolution.
-v. 2. spin, twirl, whirl; pivot, turn, revolve, wheel around,
pistol, n. handgun, revolver, Trademark. Colt, derringer, six-shooter, automatic pistol, repeater, Mil. side arm, zip gun, short firearm; All SI. rod, piece, gat, Saturday night special, heater, iron or shooting iron,
pit', n. 1. hole, cavity, excavation, quarry, diggings, workings; shaft, mine, tunnel, bank, coal mine, gold mine, silver mine; ditch, grave, burial site; dip, sink, gully, gulch, furrow, burrow, trough; foxhole, bunker, entrenchment, trench; well, abyss, chasm, deep, crevasse; crater, pocket, cup, bowl; pothole, chuck-hole, mudhole.
2. trap, trapfall, deadfall, pitfall; snare, gin, meshes.
3. abode of evil spirits, hell, the lower world, the infernal regions, nether world; inferno, underworld, pandemonium, everlasting fire, hellfire; abyss, bottomless pit, maw.
4. hollow, dent, indentation, depression; dint, cleft, dimple, Biol, alveolus; gouge, honeycomb, imprint, stamp; sinus, socket, Anat. lacuna, Anat. antrum.
5. pock, pockmark, scar, cicatrix, mark, crater, blemish.
6. ring, arena, bowl, floor, ground; cockpit, bear garden, bull ring.
-v. 7. indent, dent, dint, press in; depress, punch, dimple, tweak, hollow; notch, nick, stamp; dig, scoop, gouge; pock, pockmark, scar.
8. set against, match, oppose, set at odds, put in opposition; juxtapose, contrapose, polarize, contrast.
pit1, n. stone, nut, kernel, seed, pip, core,
pitapat, adv. 1. flutteringly, in a flutter, atremble, with palpitations, tremulously, twitteringly, in a twitter, pitter-patter. -n. 2. patter, pitter-patter, flutter, palpitation; drumming, pounding, beating, throbbing, pulsing, pulsation, tattoo.
pitch1, v. 1. erect, set up, raise, rear; encamp, station, locate, situate.
2. establish, fix, determine, decide upon, settle, set, stabilize; plant, put, place.
3. fling, cast, throw, toss; heave, hurl, sling, catapult, launch; dart, Brit. SI. bung, fire, shoot, let sail or fly; dash, chuck, send, Inf. put some oomph into it;
All Baseball, peg, throw smoke, put smoke on it, bear down, throw a high, hard one.
4. pave, revet, cobble, face, tar.
5. fall down, take a spill, tumble; go head over heels, plunge, plummet, dive, take a nosedive; fall over, keel over, collapse, slump, crumple, fall into a heap.
6. (usu. of a ship) lurch, roll, reel, flounder, welter, wallow, make heavy weather, be the sport of wind and waves; keel, list, sway, rock.
7. dip, decline, slope, incline, slant, tilt, tip, cant, go downhill.
8. pitch in contribute, add to, bear a part; join in, help, assist, lend a hand, be of service.
9. pitch into Informal, assail, attack, assault, set upon, SI. jump; beset, besiege, importune, harass, harry; revile, vituperate, abuse, belabor, lash, rail against, light into, Inf. sail into, Inf. tear into Inf. rip into, Inf. lace into, Inf. jump down [s.o.'s] throat.