-adj. 2. comparative, correlative, correspondent, proportionate, proportional; analogous, parallel, approximate, proximate, equivalent; near, close, similar, like; comparable, homologous, in common, common to; matchable, commensurate, commensurable.
3. dependent, contingent, subject to; provisory, provisional, liable, conditioned; subordinate, subservient, ancillary, auxiliary, subsidiary, subordinate; accessory, accompanying, complementary, attendant.
4. connected, related, allied, affiliated; correlative, correlated, interrelated, interconnected, interdependent; associated, associative, associate, in association, connective, linking; agnate, enate, cognate, kindred, kin.
5. relevant, pertinent, appurtenant, pertaining, referring; germane, apropos, Latin, ad rem, material, applicable; apposite, appropriate, proper, due, meet; apt, fitting, befitting, suitable, suited, congruous, pat; belonging, involving, in point, Fr. d propos.
relatively, adv. respectively, in respect to, in relation to, in a relative manner, in a like or similar manner; comparatively, pertinently, appositely, germanely, apropos of; conditionally, provisionally, contingently.
relax, v. 1. loose, slacken, untighten, relieve tension, Obs. slake; relinquish one's grip or hold, let go of, release, free, liberate.
2. lessen, diminish, lower, decrease, decline; abate, bate, subside, recede, ebb, lull, quell, slake; flag, wane, fade away, tail off, let down, run down, die down, dwindle, taper off, attenuate.
3. ease up, ease off, Inf. let up, slack off or up, Inf. let up on; go easy, be easy or lenient or clement, show clemency or mercy, forbear, give in; modulate, soften, cushion, milden, mellow, lighten, reduce, weaken, tone down, Inf. soft-pedal, downplay; moderate, subdue, chasten, temper, check, curb, take the edge off; mitigate, alleviate, allay, assuage, mollify, dulcify; muffle, hush, quiet, damp, dull, blunt, deaden, Music. flatten.
4. calm, tranquilize, quiet, soothe, smooth, pacify; calm down, unwind, unbend, loosen up, hang loose, Inf. let oneself go, be oneself, Inf. let one's hair down, SI. let it all hang out; be calm, be tranquil, be or hold or lie still, not move a muscle, be quiet, quiet down, be inactive.