insert, v. 1. put in or into, inset, inlay, set or place in; tuck in, pop in, slide in, slip in; work in or into, press in, push in, thrust in, force in, drive in, wedge in, sandwich in, jam in, cram or stuff in, ram in or up, stick in or up; (all of words, phrases, etc.) parenthesize, interline, interlineate, margin, add in, write in.
2. introduce, indoctrinate, inoculate, imbue, infect, impregnate; instill, infuse, insinuate, inculcate; infix, implant, imbed, ingrain.
3. inject, interject, interpolate, interpose, intercalate; intervene, intercede, interfere, come between; interrupt, intrude, break in on.
-n. 4. inset, extra page or leaf; printed paper, notice, bulletin, announcement; circular, advertisement, ad.
inside, prep. 1. on the inner side, on the inner part, within, inside of; prior to, before.
-adv. 2. indoors, in the house, in the building; off the streets.
3. instinctively, intuitively, impulsively; emotionally, viscerally, intestinally; involuntarily, spontaneously; immediately.
4. naturally, basically, fundamentally, inherently, innately, intrinsically.
-n. 5. interior, interior part; inner part, inner space, inner side, inner surface.
insides viscera, body organs, internal organs, internals; inwards, Inf. innards, SI. guts; vital parts, vital organs, vitals, Inf. solar plexus, SI. where one lives; intestine, intestines, bowel, bowels, colon, colons, (of swine) chitterlings, (of animals) entrails; alimentary canal, abdomen, belly, stomach, Inf. tummy, Inf. gizzard, SI. breadbasket; pouch, (of birds) crop, craw, maw, ingluvies, (of birds) proventriculus; (both of ruminating animals) first stomach, rumen.
7. contents, parts, elements, components, constituents.
8. select group, select circle, exclusive group, exclu sive circle, chosen group, chosen circle, Inf. in crowd, Sociol. ingroup. '
9. inside out, a. reversed, backward, back in front,
b. perfectly, completely, thoroughly, All Inf. backward and forward, backwards and forwards, from A to Z.
-adj. 10. interior, inner, internal; on the inside, in the inside; indoor, intramural, Latin, intra muros.
11. inmost, innermost, Scot., Irish, benmost.
12. innate, intrinsic, indwelling, immanent, intimate, inherent, indigenous; ingrained, engrained, inwrought, enwrought.
13. fundamental, elemental, radical, basic, organic, constitutional; pithy, substantial, meaty, essential, quintessential; central, nuclear.
14. private, privy, intimate, personal, nonpublic, confidential; restricted, reserved, privileged; esoteric, secret, occult, veiled, hidden, enclosed, obscure.
insidious, adj. guileful, artful, arch, crafty, cunning, Machiavellian; subtle, sly, feline, wily, snaky, foxy, SI. crazy like a fox, Scot. and North Eng. pawky; deceitful, tricky, crooked, dishonest, underhanded, Inf. lefthanded; false, false-hearted, double-dealing, twofaced, Janus-faced; shifty, slippery, shady, smooth, slick; disingenuous, insincere, scheming, plotting, designing, calculating, contriving; perfidious, treacher
insight, n. 1. intuition, perception, Psychol, apperception, percipience, sensitivity, flair; apprehension, understanding, Obs. skill, cognition, comprehension; perspicacity, keenness, acuteness, sharpness, acuity; acumen, perceptiveness, perspicaciousness, penetration; discernment, discrimination, distinguishment; cleverness, astuteness, shrewdness, ingenuity, ingeniousness.