11. vibration, rattle, chatter, motion; tremor, twitter, Both Music, vibrato, tremolo; tremble, quiver, shudder, shiver; quaver, quake, earthquake; the shakes, convulsion, palsy, twitch, tick, vellication; swing, sway, swivel, oscillation, roll, wave, ripple, wriggle, undulation; palpitation, thrill, jump, pulsation, throb, heartbeat, beat; sputter, splutter, flutter, flicker; wavering, faltering, wobble, teeter, totter, stagger, skip.
12. shock, start, scare, chill, surprise, stun; blow, jolt, wound, hurt; disturbance, upset, disappointment.
13. crack, break, rupture, fracture, fissure, split; hiatus, gap, space, hole, opening, cavity; chink, chip, chap, crevice, cranny; chasm, gorge, canyon. shakedown, n. 1. extortion, blackmail, badger game, skin game, Inf. the squeeze, Sl. murphy; milking, wringing, blood-sucking. Inf. bleeding; wresting, wrenching, exaction, extraction, obtaining by force; coercion, threat, terrorization, intimidation, bullying. 2. investigation, search, exploration, probe, inquiry; inspection, examination, scrutinization, scrutiny, Sl. casing; purge, weeding out, winnowing, removal, elimination, search and destroy mission. shaky, adj. 1. shaking, chattering; convulsive, twitching, jerky, vellicative; tremulous, tremulant, vibratory, vibrative, vibratile, quivering, twittery, resonant; trembling, quavering, shuddery, shuddering, shivery, shivering; skittish, jumpy, jittery, high-strung, nervous; fearful, afraid, frightened, scared, having cold feet; timid, timorous, easily frightened, cowardly, weak-kneed, lily-livered, Inf. yellow, Sl. chicken.
2. wobbly, rattly, rattling, wiggly, jiggly, loose, movable, Inf. floppy; flimsy, rickety, ramshackle, tumble-down, decrepit, jerry-built, gimcrack, cheap, unsubstantial; teetering, tottery, tottering, staggering, doddering, ready to topple or fall down; unsteady, unstable, insecure, unfortified; unsupported, unsound, ungrounded, unfounded, unproven; unreliable, undependable, untrustworthy, not to be counted on; perilous, vulnerable, dangerous, hazardous.
3. tenuous, tentative, up in the air, dubious, questionable, half-hearted; wavering, fluttering, flickering, sputtering, spluttering, faltering, failing, fading; unsure, unconfidant, hesitant, shilly-shallying, irresolute, undecided, uncommitted; fluctuating, vacillating, oscillatory, swinging back and forth, inconstant, variable, irregular, fitful.
shallow, adj. 1. not deep, shoal.
2. superficial, skin-deep, external, outward, on the surface; unprofound, empty, meaningless, without substance; trifling, unimportant, petty, trivial, frivolous.
-n. 3. Usu. shallows shoal, flat, sandbank, sand bar, shelf. sham, n. 1. imitation, counterfeit, copy, duplicate, forgery, fake; bastard, two-dollar bill, wooden nickel; substitute, ersatz.
2. impostor, fraud, pretender, make-believe, fake, Inf. faker, Inf. phony; masquerader, humbug, wolf in sheep's clothing, dissembler, hypocrite, pharisee.
3. cover, slipcover, pillow sham, pillowcase, pillowslip.
-adj. 4. pretended, feigned, simulated, make-believe, fairy-tale, fictitious, made-up, unreal, mock; assumed, put-on, fake, faked, contrived, factitious, Sl. hokey; ersatz, artificial, synthetic, plastic; counterfeit, forged, copied, duplicated; fraudulent, fraud, imitation, insincere, ungenuine, unauthentic, false, Inf. phony; bogus, spurious, supposititious, pinchbeck, bastardly, Australian, bunyip.
-v. 5. counterfeit, make an imitation of, forge,