muddy, adj. 1. miry, mucky, oozy, sludgy, slushy, sloshy, sloppy, squashy, squishy, squelchy, slimy, feculent; dirty, grimy, grubby, SI. grungy; boggy, marshy, swampy, fenny, quaggy, sloughy, turbid.
2. dingy, sooty, smoky, smudgy, fulginous, murky; colorless, hueless, dull, mat, flat, dead, leaden, lackluster, lusterless; washed-out, faded.
3. confused, confounded, mystified, muddled, be-muddled; at a loss, at sea, adrift, uncertain, unsure; fuzzy, in a daze, Inf. muzzy, SI. out of it, SI. in the ozone.
4. (all of expression, thought, etc.) obscure, vague, indistinct, opaque, fuzzy, unclear, Inf. clear as mud. -v. 5. dirty, soil, besoil, begrime, mire, bemire, muck, smudge, smear, besmear.
6. confuse, confound, perplex, bewilder, puzzle, nonplus, mystify, baffle, pose, obfuscate, befog, buffalo, muddle, bemuddle, SI. snow.
muff, n. 1. failure, bungle, botch, botchery, blunder; slip, trip, stumble, bumble, fumble, clumsy performance, gaucherie; bad job, sad performance, hash, mess; careless or hasty work, slovenly performance, slapdash work, Inf. a lick and a promise, Inf. a onceover job.
-v. 2. Informal, bungle, fumble, Inf. flub, handle clumsily; botch, spoil, make a mess of, SI. blow; bosh, hash, mess up, bugger, Inf. gum up the works; mismanage, manage improperly, misapply, misdirect, misadminister, Inf. drop the ball; flounder, stumble, trip, slip up.
muffin, n. English muffin, bran muffin, corn muffin, blueberry muffin; bun, roll, scone, cupcake; biscuit, beaten biscuit, brioche, croissant.
muffle, v. 1. Often
muffle up wrap, envelop, swaddle, swathe; cloak, cover, hood; conceal, veil, shroud, mask, hide, disguise.
2. pad, damp, damper, mute, soft-pedal, tone down; hush, quiet, still, muzzle, silence; quell, suppress, stifle, gag, choke, stop.
muffled, adj. dampened, muted, padded; soft, softened, subdued, toned down, suppressed; faint, indistinct, unclear, dim, barely audible; nonresonant, dead, dead-sounding; It. sordo, flat, dull, toneless.
muffler, n. neck scarf, boa, neckerchief; tippet, ascot, stock, cravat; chemisette, guimpe.
mug, n. 1. tankard, toby, beaker, chalice, schooner, pot.
a. face, visage, countenance, features, lineaments; SI. pan, SI. phiz, SI. puss; mouth, SI. kisser,
b. grimace, sneer, frown, pout, black look, Fr. moue; smile, grin, smirk, sardonic expression; look, mein, aspect, expression.
-v. 3. assault, attack, knock down; strong-arm, throttle, garrote, choke; rob, steal from, pursesnatch.
4. Slang, grimace, Inf. make a face, Fr. faire la moue, screw up one's face; frown, pout, sneer; grin, smirk, smile.
muggy, adj. humid, Inf. close, sticky, mucky, clammy, moist, damp; sultry, sweltering, sudorific, diaphoretic; steamy, steaming, dank, soggy, watery, wettish; dewy, foggy, vaporous, vaporific, misty, drizzly, dripping, rainy; tropical, hot, oppressive.