-n. 3. (often of troops) marshalling, muster, assembling, amassing, amassment, collection, agglomeration, aggregation, congregation; disposition, arrangement, line-up; display, parade, show, exhibition, exhibit.
4. apparel, attire, clothing, dress, wear, Inf. gear, Inf. toggery, Inf. duds, Si. threads, SI. rags; raiment, vestments, garments; finery, caparison, SI. glad rags, SI. heavy threads, SI. Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes; regalia, outfit, ensemble, Inf. getup, Inf. rig. arrear, n. 1. Usu. arrears unpaid debt, payment outstanding, moneys owed, liabilities; arrearage, amount due or overdue, remaining balance; debt, financial obligation, debit, deficit, deficiency.
2. in arrears in debt, in default, in the hole, in the red; behind, late, overdue, arrest, v. 1. seize, take into custody, apprehend, haul in, Inf. pick up, Inf. nab, Inf. pinch, SI. bust, SI. nail, SI. run in, put the arm on [s.o.]; capture, catch, detain; hold, secure, collar; take prisoner, imprison, jail, incarcerate.
2. attract, catch, hold the attention of, engross, engage, absorb, occupy, rivet.
3. stop, halt, check, abort, end; stay, stall, bring to a standstill; block, obstruct, prevent; hinder, inhibit, restrain, delay, interrupt, suspend, suppress; stunt, dwarf, nip in the bud. -n. 4. seizure, apprehension, police detention, legal restraint, constraint, capture; SI. bust; taking into custody, imprisonment, incarceration, durance.
5. stoppage, cessation, check, stay; delay, suspension, interruption; hindrance, obstruction, prevention, suppression, restraining. arresting, adj. attention-getting, striking, stunning; stimulating, exciting, electrifying, dazzling; impressive, noticeable, noteworthy, remarkable, conspicuous; unusual, out-of-the-ordinary, extraordinary, standout, singular, arrival, n. 1. advent, coming, appearance, forthcoming, approach, access, accession; return, reappearance, coming back.
2. landing, alighting, dismounting, debarkation, disembarkation, debusing, deplaning, detraining.
3. attainment, reaching, realization, actualization; consummation, fulfillment, fruition; completion, finishing, termination.
4. comer, incomer; newcomer, immigrant; visitor, visitant, guest; newborn, baby. arrive, v. 1. come, land, pull in, get here or there, get in; appear, show up, turn up, SI. blow in, set in, present itself or oneself; arrive in, SI. hit; alight, deplane, detrain, disembark, debark, debus, dismount; return, come back, get back.
2. succeed, Inf. make it, SI. make the scene, Inf get somewhere, get ahead, get ahead in the world, be somebody; thrive, prosper, flourish.
3. occur, happen, befall, come to pass, eventuate.
4. arrive at reach, attain, realize, get to, gain, arrogance, n. 1. haughtiness, loftiness, hauteur, self-importance; presumption, presumptuousness, overconfidence, fatuousness; pride, vanity, vainglory, conceit, snobbery, snobbishness, airs; pomposity, pompousness, egotism, superciliousness, contempt, contemptuousness, disdain, disdainfulness, scorn, scornfulness, contumely, contumeliousness.