apply, v. 1. use, utilize, engage, employ, put to use, bring to bear, practice, exercise, bring into play, ply; execute, administer, direct, bring into effect, actualize, put into practice, carry out.
2. use for, assign, appropriate, allot, credit.
3. lay or spread on, rub on or in, put to or on, lay over, place over, cover over; touch to; install, deposit, put in place.
4. (usu. of oneself) devote, dedicate, give wholly to, be assiduous, persevere; work at, labor at or over, Inf. sweat over, buckle down to, Inf. knuckle down, put one's nose to the grindstone, study, concentrate.
5. make application, job seek, job hunt, put in for, put in a bid for, bid, try out for, audition; appeal, solicit, petition, sue, entreat, seek, look for, call upon, have recourse to.
appoint, v. 1. name, designate, nominate, tab; assign, select, Mil. detail.
2. commission, delegate, deputize, depute; elect, vote in, place in office, install, invest, Obs. ordain.
3. determine, fix, settle, set, establish, prescribe, decide upon, arrange.
appointee, n. 1. selectee, nominee, candidate; (all resulting from a legal appointment) beneficiary, legatee, Law. donee, Law. devisee, Law. grantee.
2. deputy, commissioner, commissary, agent, factor; representative, alternate, surrogate, proxy; delegate, legate, envoy, emissary; intermediary, mediator, middleman, go-between, medium, intermediate,
appointment, n. 1. designation, assignment, nomination, naming, ordainment; deputation, delegation; election, selection.
2. office, position, post, place, berth, billet, station, SI. gig.
3. engagement, meeting, interview, arrangement; tryst, rendezvous, assignation, date.
appointments equipment, furnishings, accouterments, appurtenances, fixtures, gear, apparatus; paraphernalia, fittings, habiliments, Inf things; outfit, outfitting, turnout, rig.
5. appointments caparison, harness, trappings, tack, tackle, rigging; All Mil. arms, armaments, munitions, materiel.
apportion, v. allocate, allot, distribute, dispense; ration, measure out, measure off, admeasure; mete out, portion out, divide and assign, parcel out, deal out, dole out; cast out, disperse, scatter; divide up, Inf divvy up, subdivide, share, partition, part, adjust; appropriate, designate, set apart, earmark, intend; specify, detail, list; assign, administer, award, grant, appoint.