5. characterize, distinguish, reveal, show to be; brand, name, designate, denominate, dub; style, term, label, tag, nickname.
6. tread, tramp, SI. tromp, Inf. stomp.
-n. 7. postage stamp, trading stamp, Trademark. S & H Green Stamps.
8. die, block, plate, intaglio, mold, Print, matrix, punch; seal ring, ring, seal, medallion.
9. design, pattern, legend, inscription, engraving; print, imprint, impression, mark.
10. seal, official seal, emblem, representation, symbol, badge, insignia, regalia; coat of arms, escutcheon, crest; label, monogram, cartouche, signet, initials, signature, mark, sign.
11. label, brand, trademark, logo; tag, earmark, hallmark.
12. character, sort, kind, kidney, variety, type, genre; make, cast, cut, mold, form, style, manner; grain, feather, tone, color, stripe; name, brand, designation, description, denomination; species, class, classification, group, grouping.
13. pestle, stamper, crusher, pulverizer, pounder, mallet, hammer.
stampede, n. 1. rush, dash, race, run, flight, rout, Chiefly Australian, breakaway, panic, scattering.
-v. 2. scatter, flee, rout, rush, dash, race, Inf. tear off, take flight, take to one's heels, panic.
stand, v. 1. rise, rise to one's feet, get up; remain upright, hold oneself erect, be vertical.
2. set upright, place on end, upend; set, position, place, put.
3. (usu. imperative) halt, stop, pause, come to a halt or standstill.
4. last, continue on, continue to exist, persist, per-dure; endure, be steadfast, be constant, be permanent; be durable, wear, wear well, stand up.
5. remain, remain in force, obtain, be the case, hold, hold good; abide, stay.
6. face, encounter, meet, meet with; undergo, experience, submit to.
7. withstand, endure, resist, tolerate, brave, breast, suffer; bear, weather, hold out against, cope with, handle.
8. stand by
a. uphold, support, defend, stand or stick up for, go to bat for, take the side of, stand behind, b. adhere to, affirm, stick with; repeat, reiterate; stick to one's guns. c. wait, hold on, tarry, bide one's time; be patient.
9. stand for a. represent, symbolize, exemplify, illustrate; embody, personify, typify, epitomize; be the equivalent of, be regarded as. b. advocate, favor, countenance, support, back, second; champion, defend, sponsor, promote; speak in favor of, argue for, uphold; subscribe to, take the side of, fall in with, lend one's name to, take up or espouse the cause of. c. Informal. allow, permit, sanction, put up with, hear of, countenance, approve of; tolerate, suffer, brook, abide, acquiesce in; swallow, stomach, digest, pocket; condone, forgive, overlook.
stand out a. project, protrude, jut out, stick out, poke out; extend, bulge, obtrude, excurve; overhang, beetle, b. be conspicuous, be prominent, be noticeable; be extraordinary, be singular.
stand up to confront, meet boldly, defy, face in defiance; question, dispute, challenge, oppugn.
-n. 12. stance, posture, carriage, bearing, port.
13. defensive effort, resistance, opposition, withstanding, counteraction; repulsion, repulse, front, rebuff; defiance, refusal, oppugnancy.