wheeler-dealer; top executive, business leader, director, manager; SI. honcho, SI. top dog, SI. Mr. Big.
2. personage, person of importance, person of influence or consequence, man of distinction or eminence, person to be reckoned with; giant, leading figure, mastodon; power, power elite, Chiefly Brit, notability, leading light, luminary, worthy, pillar of society, dignitary, distinguished person; personality, name, big name, star, super-star, celebrity, person of eminence; elder, elder statesman, panjandrum, sachem; All Inf. somebody, Very Important Person, V.I.P., big shot, big gun, bigwig, big brass; All Inf. lion, wheel, big wheel, big cheese, big-timer, big-time operator; SI. top banana, Si high-muck-a-muck.
3. aristocratic, lord, peer, nobleman, noble, partri-cian.
magnet, n. 1. lodestone, magnetite, paramagnet; attractor, attractant; field magnet, bar magnet, horseshoe magnet, electromagnet, solenoid.
2. focus, focal point, prime focus, point of convergence; center of attraction or interest, center or focus of attention, cynosure, lodestar, polestar.
3. lure, charm, fascination, captivation, attraction, interest, appeal, drawing card, draw card, bait; temptation, tantalization, allure, allurement, enticement, invitation.
magnetic, adj. 1. attracting, drawing, attrahent, pulling, dragging, tugging; magnetized; attractive, interesting, appealing, engaging, alluring, fascinating, enthralling, captivating, enchanting; hypnotic, mesmerizing, mesmeric, entrancing, irresistible, taking, winnfng, winsome; inviting, tempting, enticing, seductive, provocative, siren, tantalizing, Inf. come-hither; charming, glamorous, witching, bewitching, beguiling. 2. gripping, holding, arresting, engrossing, binding, absorbing, intriguing, grabbing, catching; electric, electrical, dynamic, exciting, kinetic, charged; powerful, potent, forceful, vital, effective, authoritative, overwhelming, overpowering, spellbinding, persuasive, compelling, charismatic.
magnetism, n. 1. magnetic force or intensity, Elect, gauss, Elect, oersted; magnetomotive force, magnetomotivity, magnetic flux density, magnetic field, electromagnetic field, electroaffinity, electromagnetic attraction, electromagnetic repulsion.
2. gravity, gravitation; capillarity, capillary attraction; affinity, sympathy, inclination, tendency.
3. attraction, interest, charm, glamour, appeal, enchantment, attractiveness, seductiveness, winsomeness, winning ways, likability, lovability; charisma, Sp. duende, personal magnetism, animal magnetism, sex appeal, Si SA; power of attraction, force, power, personality, energy, potency, vitality, dynamism, authority, hold, sway, dominance, influence; pulling or drawing power, drag, pull, tug, traction, electrification.
4. allurement, irresistibility, fascination, captivation, enchantment; desirability, lure, witchery, bewitchment, spell, magic; temptation, enticement, seduction, provocativeness; sorcery, mesmerism, hypnotic influence, siren song, invitation; come-hither quality, flame to a moth, that certain something, Si come-on.
magnetize, v. 1. magnify, electromagnetize, elec
trify, charge, energize.
2. attract, pull, draw, drag, tug; lure, charm, entice, tempt, seduce, lead on, ensnare, Archaic, entoil, draw in, Inf suck or rope in; inveigle, entangle, get a hold on; compel, galvanize, rivet, electrify, carry away, sway, move, spellbind, interest, appeal, engage; influence, act on, work on, take hold of, Inf. get at, Inf get the ear of; intrigue, hold the attention of.