stumbling block, n. obstacle, obstruction, block, impediment, hindrance, barrier, bar; difficulty, hurdle; snag, hitch, catch, drawback, rub, fly in the ointment, Inf. joker, Inf. one small problem,
stump, n. 1. trunk, stem, stalk; remnant, remains; stub, end, butt, tail end, tail, dock.
2. heavy footfall or footstep, clump, clunk, thud, thump; tramp, stomping, lumbering.
3. hustings, campaign trail, rubber-chicken circuit; podium, dais, speaker's platform.
-v. 4. truncate, shorten, lop or lop off, cut off, dock, amputate; crop, poll, clip, snip, trim, prune, pollard; chop down, hack, hew, fell.
5. nonplus, render at a loss, perplex, puzzle, confuse, confound, baffle, bewilder, mystify; embarrass, disconcert, perturb, ruffle; outwit, trick, surprise.
6. clump, clomp, clunk, peg, hobble, limp; stomp, stamp, trudge, lumber, plod.
7. Informal, campaign, whistle-stop, take to the stump or hustings, run, run hard; kiss babies, shake hands, ring doorbells, visit factory gates, work the crowds; electioneer, canvass, round up votes, count votes.
stun, v. 1. deaden, numb, benumb, anesthetize, knock out, Euph. put to sleep; All Sl. KO, kayo, lay out, coldcock.
2. shock, startle, gravel, jar, jolt, shake, shake up, give one a turn, take aback, Inf. discombobulate; hit like a ton of bricks, daze, bedaze, strike dumb, stupefy, paralyze, freeze; terrify, frighten out of one's wits or senses, Sl. scare stiff.
3. amaze, astound, astonish, take one's breath away, make one's head swim, overwhelm, overpower, Inf. flabbergast, Inf. bowl over, Inf. snow, Sl. blow away, Sl. blow one's mind; dumfound, confound, nonplus, bewilder, discompose, Inf. flummox.
stunning, adj. 1. astonishing, astounding, amazing, extraordinary, out of the ordinary, incredible, unbelievable; marvelous, wonderful, wondrous, fabulous, prodigious, miraculous; sensational, spectacular; startling, shocking, staggering, jolting, jarring, eye-opening; overwhelming, overpowering, mind-boggling, Sl. mind-blowing; confounding, bewildering, stupefying, paralyzing; petrifying, terrifying, frightening.
2. dazzling, resplendent, brilliant, foudroyant, gorgeous, glorious, ravishing, divine, sublime, Sl. devastating, Sl. killing; splendid, capital, grand, magnificent, superb, exquisite, Sl. out of this world; beautiful, lovely, fetching.
stunt1, v. 1. dwarf, stop, slow, check, arrest, abort, hinder, hamper, impede; curb, restrain, restrict, confine, delimit, cramp.
-n. 2. hindrance, impediment, dwarfing, check, curb, restraint, confinement, delimitation.
3. dwarf, midget, pygmy, runt, shrimp, homunculus, Archaic, atomy, bantam.