to the quick, cut to the heart; afflict, distress, disquiet, disturb, trouble, harry,
angular, adj.1. pointed, sharp-cornered, Y-shaped, V-shaped; forked, crotched, bifurcate, divaricate; jagged, scraggy.
2. bony, gaunt, rawboned, spare, lean, thin, lank, lanky, scrawny.
3. awkward, ungraceful, ungainly, uncouth, gauche, maladroit.
4. stiff, unbending, stern, austere, unyielding; abrupt, edged, sharp, crabbed.
animadversion, n.1. criticism, adverse orhostile criticism, Inf.flak, SI.knock, SI.swipe, SI.slam; rebuke, reproof, reprimand, check.
2. censure, reproach, invective, reprehension, reflection, disapproval, disapprobation, stricture; aspersion, imputation, derogation, reprobation; chastisement, castigation, scolding, upbraiding, chiding,
animal, n.1. creature, beast, brute, Dial,
varmint; mammal, mammalian.
2. monster, fiend, demon, devil, mad dog; barbarian, savage, troglodyte, wild man; dog, cur, hound, swine, pig, ape.
-adj.3. animalistic, animalian, zooid, zooidal; in
stinctive, instinctual, nonrational.
4. physical, carnal, fleshly, bodily, sensual; coarse, vulgar, low, gross, obscene; inhuman, savage, bestial, beastly, beastlike, brutish; brutal, cruel, ferocious.
animate, v. 1. create, breathe life into; vivify, quicken, vitalize; enliven, invigorate, energize, fortify, strengthen.
2. encourage, inspire, inspirit, buoy, hearten, en-hearten, embolden; elate, gladden, cheer, Inf.pep up, Inf.buck up; delight, exhilarate.
3. actuate, activate, motivate, move, rouse, waken; incite, stimulate, arouse, rouse up; fire, kindle, enkindle, stir, goad, spur on, prod, prick; push, egg on, urge, impel, exhort; boost, promote, prompt, Inf. spark, Inf.sparkplug, instigate, foment, provoke; excite, work up. -adj.
4. alive, live, living, breathing; existing, existent; sensible, animal, self-moving, self-propelling.
5. lively, spirited, vivacious. See - animated (def.1). animated, adj.1. lively, full of life, vivacious, enlivened; inspirited, invigorated, energized, energetic, vivified, vitalized, reanimated, revived, revitalized, rejuvenated; vigorous, forceful, dynamic; inspired, eager, Inf.psyched orpsyched up, hopeful; sunny, radiant, glowing, alive, Inf.bright-eyed and bushy-tailed; stimulated, excited, aroused, Inf.hot; intensely desirous, impassioned, passionate; zealous, ardent, vehement, fervent, fervid, perfervid; enkindled, kindled, sparkling, Inf.sparking, inflamed, fired up; stirred up, roused, awake; active, alert, quick, bright.
2. happy, blissful, beatific, pleased, delighted, Inf. tickled pink; blithe, blithesome, merry, gay, gleeful; glad, gladsome, joyful, joyous; ebullient, bubbling, bubbly, effervescent; charming, winsome, riant, laughing, smiling, happy as a lark, in good orhigh spirits; buoyant, cheerful, cheery, sprightly, pert, jaunty; airy, breezy, light-hearted, jolly, jovial, convivial; mirthful, playful, jocose, frolicsome, jocund, sportive, zestful; spirited, enthusiastic, enthused, exhilarated, rhapsodic, rhapsodistic; ecstatic, jubilant, over-joyed, elated, exultant, in seventh heaven; rapturous, enrapt, enraptured, enchanted, entranced, transported.
3. lifelike, animal-like, puppetlike; mechanical, automated, automatic, wind-up; moving, propelled.
animating, adj.1. vivifying, quickening, vitalizing; life-giving, heart-stirring, enlivening, invigorating, energizing, fortifying, strengthening; encouraging, inspiring, buoying, heartening, enheartening, emboldening.