tenet, n. belief, position, conviction, persuasion; assumption, presumpton, supposition; view, opinion, judgment; theory, thesis, hypothesis, postulation; faith, article of faith, creed, credo, ideology; principle, maxim, precept, canon, axiom, basic, fundamental, rule; doctrine, dogma.
tenor, n. 1. purport, intent, meaning, tone, vein; implication, connotation, significance, signification; sense, import, spirit, gist, essence, core, pith; idea, point, burden, argument, sum and substance; intention, purpose, object, design, aim.
2. drift, tendency, direction, bias, trend; course, gravitation, bearing; inclination, bent, leaning, proclivity, propensity, penchant; impulse, drive, impetus, driving force; pressure, push, current, flow, run, movement, motion.
tense, adj. 1. taut, tight, drawn tight; rigid, stiff, inelastic, uplastic, inflexible, unbending, unyielding.
2. nervous, high-strung, strained, under a strain, SI. uptight, keyed up, wound up, choked up; worked-up, wrought-up, agitated, flustered, upset, bothered, perturbed; distressed, troubled, worried, concerned, disquieted; anxious, unquiet, fretful, restless, impatient, fidgety, itchy, itching, SI. antsy; jumpy, jittery, edgy, on edge, Inf on pins and needles, on tenterhooks; on a tightrope, on a cliff edge, waiting for the other shoe to drop, waiting for the ax to fall, waiting for the bomb to go off; uneasy, apprehensive, alarmed, with one's heart in one's mouth, fearful; frightened, scared, afraid; skittish, shy, timid, timorous; trembling, shaky, shaking.
-v. 3. tighten, strain, draw tight, pull taut; stretch, extend, elongate, distend.
4. frighten, scare, affright, panic; choke, choke [s.o.] up, make nervous, key up, put on edge; disturb, distres, agitate, upset, dismay.
tension, n. 1. tautness, tightness; extension, distension, elongation; pull, tug, yank, strain; stretch, draw, traction, tensity.
2. anxiety, uneasiness, disquiet, disquietude, inquietude, fretfulness; worry, trouble, concern, vexation: pressure, stress, heat, burden, cross, encumbrance, cumbrance; nervousness, ants, Inf butterflies, SI. heebie-jeebies, SI. habdabs; excitement, agitation, perturbation; suspense, anticipation, expectation, apprehension, fear.
tent, n. wigwam, tepee, yurt, canvas, circus tent, (in the circus) Inf big top, (in the circus) Inf menagerie tent, pavilion, Chiefly Brit, marquee, pup tent, camping tent; baldachin, canopy, awning; booth, Hebrew. sukkah, lean-to.
tentative, adj. 1. experimental, probative, probatory, exploratory; probationary, on probation, temporary, on trial, under examination or consideration: trial, test, pilot; untried, unproven, in the trial stages, unperfected; questionable, doubtful; hypothetical, speculative, theoretical.
2. unsure, uncertain, doubtful, hesitant; indecisive, wavering, faltering, wobbling, shilly-shallying, hedgy, undecided; provisional, contingent, dependent, Inf iffy-
tenterhook, n. 1. bent nail, hook, hanger.
2. on tenterhooks apprehensive, uneasy, anxious, qualmish, worried, alarmed, concerned; nervous, SI. uptight, queasy, jittery, skittish, jumpy; on edge, edgy, on a cliff edge, on a tightrope, waiting for the ax to fall or for the other shoe to drop or for the bomb to go off.