all, adj. 1. entire, whole, total, integral, the sum of, complete, full; every, each, each and every; any, any whatever, any and every; only, nothing but, nothing except.
-n. 2. whole, total, aggregate, sum, sum total, entirety, integer; allness, comprehensiveness, universality; totality, everything, everyone, everybody.
3. (often cap.). universe, cosmos, macrocosm.
4. after all finally, at last, in the end, eventually, ultimately; nevertheless, notwithstanding, anyway.
5. once and for all finally, for the last time, at last, ultimately, at the last moment.
-adv. 6. wholly, entirely, completely, altogether, quite, very, exceedingly; only, exclusively, solely, alone; each, apiece, to a man.
all-around, adj. 1. versatile, many-faceted, adaptable, all-round; unspecialized, generalist.
2. inclusive, complete, out-and-out, thoroughgoing, thorough.
3. all-inclusive, comprehensive, blanket, umbrella, Inf. wall-to-wall.
allay, v. 1. calm, lull, put to rest; quiet, still, silence, hush; soften, assuage, mollify, smooth over; soothe, compose, tranquilize, pacify, appease, SI. simmer down; quell, lay, check, curb, suppress, repress. 2. lessen, relieve, moderate, temper, blunt, dull, slake, quench; lighten, ease, slacken, reduce, diminish; mitigate, alleviate, palliate,
allegation, n. 1. affirmation, assertion, asserva-tion, averment, avowal, avouchment, positive declaration, predication; testimony, attestation, certification; profession, imputation, insinuation, implication.
2. statement, sworn statement, deposition, affidavit, statement of facts.
3. accusation, charge, claim, complaint, bill of complaint; false claim, false witness, trumped-up charge, SI. put-up job, SI. frame up or frame.
allege, v. 1. affirm, assert, asservate, aver, avow, avouch; state, declare, predicate, lay down; insist, maintain, contend, hold.
2. attest, testify, certify, vouch; depose, bear witness, give evidence, give one's word, warrant.
3. (all without proof) profess, claim, purport, pretend; impute, insinuate, imply; cite, name, attribute, assign, ascribe, SI. finger or put the finger on.
4. adduce, advance, bring forward, produce, introduce, present, plead; offer, propose.
alleged, adj. 1. asserted, asservated, averred, affirmed; stated, declared, predicated, announced, enunciated.
2. doubtful, dubious, unlikely, suspect, suspicious; supposed, assumed, presumed, reputed, inferred; professed, claimed, purported, avowed, pretended, so-called, in name only,
allegiance, n. loyalty, fidelity, faithfulness, Archaic. troth, constancy; devotion, homage, fealty, adherence, duty, obligation; obedience, compliance, deference, subservience, submission, subjugation,
allegorical, adj. figurative, not literal, metaphorical, tropical; representative, typical, significative, symbolic, emblematic, symbolizing, standing for.
allegorize, v. represent, stand for, symbolize, typify; shadow forth, image forth.