5. fix, prepare, concoct, Inf. whip up, Inf. throw together, cook up, cook.
6. convert, transform, metamorphose, transfigure, transmute, transubstantiate, transmogrify; change, alter, modify, permute, modulate, inflect, mutate.
7. compel, coerce, force, press, drive, constrain, pressure, oblige, hustle, railroad; impel, urge, impress, provoke, exhort, cause, require, exact, necessitate; draft, conscript, commandeer; persuade, induce, prevail upon, insist upon; apply pressure, Si. lean on or against, armtwist, twist [s.o.'s] arm, put the screws on or to, Inf strong-arm, put the heat on, squeeze.
8. gain, acquire, obtain, secure, get; procure, gather, garner, glean, reap; (all usu. of wages) earn, clear, SI. pull down, pocket, bag; gross, net, Inf. take home.
make of account for, explain, interpret, understand, construe; consider, deem, think, adjudge; look upon, view, regard, contemplate; spell out, decipher, unravel, decode, elucidate.
10. estimate, reckon, judge, gage, gauge, compute, calculate.
11. serve as, do the part of, answer for.
12. deliver, utter, pronounce, declare, put forth, recite.
13. reach, arrive at, get to, land at or on, attain.
14. Informal, go, leave, move, proceed, travel, journey.
make as if or
as though Informal, pretend, act as if, feign, affect, seem, pass off as.
make away with a. steal, filch, rob, pilfer, purloin, finger, pick, Inf. snitch, cabbage, abstract, Chiefly Brit, prig, Euph. borrow; shoplift, palm, SI. boost, walk off or away with, Euph. remove; All SI. heist, pinch, hook, swipe, hustle, rip off, frisk, crook, cop, lift.
b. destroy, kill, slay, slaughter, end, put an end to; murder, dispose of, SI. do in, SI. tap; assassinate, get rid of, mow down, do away with, Inf wipe out, remove, c. consume, devour, eat up, swallow up, gulp down; finish, finish off, SI. polish off, Inf. pack away or in, Inf. put away or down.
make believe pretend, act as if, imagine, fancy, dream, envision, picture, Inf. feature; fabricate, invent, concoct, romance; conjure up, conceive, idealize, visualize, envisage; simulate, personate, affect, assume, suppose.
18. make bold or
so bold presume, take the liberty, dare, venture, be so rash.
make do get along or by, scrape along or by, manage, Inf make out, survive, eke out.
20. make for a. go toward, head for, aim for, steer for, be bound for, steer a course for; approach, near, move closer to, draw nigh to, edge closer to.
b. attack, lunge at, charge, rush, storm, raid, assault; set upon, pounce upon, descend upon, fall on. c. facilitate, favor, promote, subserve, forward, advance, contribute to, conduce to.
make good a. make up for, compensate for, offset, make restitution for, make amends, recompense, repay, requite, remunerate, recoup; square, settle, set right, rectify, remedy, correct; restore, reintegrate, make whole, repair, mend, renew, rejuvenate, reconstruct, recondition,
b. succeed, do well, prosper, flourish, win, triumph, c. fulfill, realize, accomplish, carry out, be as good as one's word, deliver the goods.
make known reveal, disclose, divulge, let out; tell, relate, impart, mention, let fall, let on, communicate; inform, Inf tip off, bring to the ears of, acquaint with; announce, proclaim, declare, publish, report, send word.
make like Slang, pretend to be, try to be, imitate, simulate, personate, impersonate, act like.