insulting, adj. 1. offensive, slighting, Archaic, af-frontive, disobliging, outrageous; disparaging, denouncing, derogatory, denunciable, discreditable, depreciating; disdainful, contemptuous, contemning, contemni-ble, supercilious, contumelious, scouting, flouting; scornful, derisive, jeering, ridiculing, mocking, scoffing; twitting, gibing, taunting, fleering; hissing, booing, catcalling.
2. abusive, vilifying, vituperative, impugnable, traducing, slurring, calumnious; blasphemous, scurrilous, irreverent, sarcastic; profane, ribald, foulmouthed, obscene, vulgar; maligning, defamatory, denigrating, slanderous, libelous; injurious, harmful, damaging, invidious; vexatious, provoking, aggravating, incensed, inflammatory, exasperating, teasing, distressing; irritating, chafing, disturbing, annoying, displeasing.
3. rude, impolite, disrespectful, discourteous, uncour-teous, uncivil, incivil, dishonorable; impertinent, insolent, flippant, impudent, fresh, saucy, bold, Archaic. malapert; ill-mannered, ill-bred, ill-behaved, ungentlemanly, unladylike, unrefined; unmannerly, ungracious, ungallant, rustic, boorish, churlish; surly, bad-tempered, ill-tempered; obnoxious, objectionable, odious.
4. snobby, cold, cool, icy, arrogant, haughty, exclusive; indifferent, aloof, neglectful; humiliating, belittling; shameful, disgraceful, opprobrious, degrading, ignominious; blunt, gruff, brusque, harsh, acrimonious; caustic, cutting, trenchant; overbearing, obtrusive.
insuperable, adj. 1. insurmountable, overwhelming, overpowering, overcoming, overmastering, overmatching; oppressive, burdensome, backbreaking, crushing, demoralizing, defeating.
2. invincible, unconquerable, inviolable, inexpugnable; impenetrable, inaccessible, unaccessible, impassable; impregnable, invulnerable, indestructible, unde-stroyable, imperishable, nonperishable, Obs., Rare. imperdible; unassailable, unattackable, formidable, powerful, mighty; indomitable, redoubtable, unyielding, undefeatable, unbeatable; tenable, secure, safe, safe and sound; stout, sturdy, strong, solid, stable, staunch, stanch.
insupportable, adj. 1. unbearable, intolerable. See
2. indefensible, untenable, unmaintainable, unarguable, undefendable; implausible, weak, flawed, specious, disputable, doubtful.
insuppressible, adj. indomitable, irrepressible, un stoppable; inextinguishable, unquenchable; uncontrollable, ungovernable, unmanageable, intractable, incorrigible, refractory, recalcitrant, contumacious; obstreperous, unruly, restive, wild, fractious, out of hand, out of control.
insurance, n. 1. surety, security, indemnity, guar anty, guarantee, warranty, warrant, bond, Brit. assurance; contract, covenant, promise, pledge, word.
2. precaution, foresight, forethought, providence, provision; safeguard, preventive measure or step.
insure, v. guarantee, guaranty, warrant, bond, underwrite; protect, guard, safeguard, secure; ensure, assure, make sure, make certain.
insurgency, n. insurrection, uprising, rebellion. See - insurrection.
insurgent, n. 1. rebel, revolutionary, revolter, in surrectionist, insurrectionary, seditionist; anarchist, U.S. Weatherman; malcontent, rioter, brawler.
-adj. 2. rebellious, revolutionary, insurrectionary, seditious, factious; mutinous, insubordinate, disobedient; traitorous, treasonable, subversive; lawless, riotous, ungovernable, uncontrollable, out of control, unmanageable.