nimiety, n. excess, overabundance, superabundance, overplus, extra, spare, surplus, surplusage, superflux; flood, deluge, inundation, profusion, abundance, cornucopia, horn of plenty; surfeit, glut, plethora, overflow, overload, oversupply, more than enough, enough and to spare, enough and then some, too much; superfluity, superfluousness, redundancy, supererogation, oversufficiency, overkill, overdose, too much of a good thing, saturation, supersaturation; (all of words) verbiage, wordiness, verbosity, verboseness, prolixity, prolixness,
nincompoop, n. fool, ninny, ninnyhammer, silly, goose, silly billy, SI. yo-yo, tomfool; simpleton, Simple Simon, saphead, noodle, cuckoo, Inf. jay, idiot, imbecile, mooncalf, Inf. moron, SI. zombie; dimwit, nitwit, half-wit, scatterbrain, SI. birdbrain, SI. flake; rattlehead, rattlebrain, rattlepate, harebrain, SI. dingbat, SI. ding-a-ling, featherbrain, addle-brain, addle-head, addle-pate, pinhead; dolt, clod, oaf, dunce, Inf. chump, SI. jerk, Inf. coot, dullard, Inf. numskull; dope, booby, Inf. dummy, SI. dumbbell, SI. meatball, SI. meathead; blockhead, beetlehead, bonehead, dunderhead, dunderpate, chucklehead, SI. dumbhead, SI. lunkhead, Inf. knucklehead, SI. stupid-head; donkey, ass, lubber, lout; ignoramus, know-nothing, lowbrow, illiterate,
nip', v. 1. pinch, bite, bite in, tweak, vellicate, chomp, incise.
2. snip, cut, cut off, lop, sunder; crop, truncate, dock, take off, snap, crack off, shave off, shear, clip.
3. retard, check, shorten, cut short, abbreviate;
blight, supress, stunt, slow down, delay, drag down; impede, hinder, inhibit, obstruct, cramp, constrain, Hold back, discommode, inconvenience.
4. Informal, snatch, seize, clutch, snare; snag, snatch, grab, get one's fingers or hands on, finger, clasp, grip, grasp; bag, sack, pocket; steal, thieve, purloin, take, palm, make off with, Inf. borrow; annex, snitch, swipe, mooch, nick, Inf. cop; appropriate, usurp, help oneself to, make free with, pirate, Inf. lift, plagiarize.
5. nip in the bud See - bud (def. 3).
-n. 6. pinch, tweak, vellication, bite, chomp, incision.
7. nasty remark, sharp remark, Inf. dig, sharp rejoinder, caustic remark, Inf. zinger; gibe, scoff, jeer, taunt, Inf jab, Inf cut, SI. comeback, insult.
8. tang, tartness, zest, sharpness, piquance, piquan
cy; savor, high seasoning, strong seasoning, high flavor, high relish, strong taste; Inf. zip, Inf. punch,
Inf. snack, Inf. twang; poignancy, pungency,
9. morsel, nibble, taste, Inf. sniggie, Inf. sample.
nip1, n. 1. shot, SI. snort, sip, Inf. swig, jiggerful;
gulp, portion, draft, draught, swill; dram, peg, Brit. half pint.
-v. 2. tipple, drink constantly, drink on the job; Inf. closet-drink, drink on the sly, Inf. booze; Inf. bend the elbow, Inf. drink like a fish, Inf. lean on the stuff.
nippers, n. pinchers, tweezers, pliers, forceps; grip-pers, grip, vise, clincher, holder.
nipping, adj. 1. pinching, gripping, biting, vellica-tive.
2. sharp, keen, stinging, smarting, raw, nippy; bitter, severe, piercing, cutting, blasting; chilling, chilly, bone-chilling; numbing, freezing, cold, icy-cold, ice-cold, wintry, hibernal.
3. sarcastic, caustic, bitter, sour, crabby; astringent, acid, acetic, acerbic, tart, vinegary; nasty, digging, gibing, scoffing, jeering; taunting, jabbing, cutting, Inf.