2. careful, cautious, practical, shrewd, discerning, discriminating, selective, calculating, canny, politic, considerate.
3. provident, prudential, forehanded, foreseeing, farsighted, precautious, precautionary, looking or planning ahead, saving for a rainy day; prepared, safe, forearmed, well-advised, worldly-wise, wide-awake, seeing beyond the end of one's nose; economical, saving, sparing, thrifty, chary, frugal, parsimonious.
prudery, n. coyness, overmodesty; priggishness, puritanicalness. See - priggishness (def. 1).
prudish, adj. coy, demure, reserved, modest, over-modest; squeamish, queasy; priggish, old-maidish, Inf., Derog. nunny. See - priggish (def. 1).
prune, v. 1. lop off, crop, top, cut, cut down, cut short; poll, pollard, truncate, detruncate; dock, nip, snip; pare, shave, mow; chop, sever, dissever.
2. thin, thin out, weed, weed out; clear of, rid, remove, detach, amputate; relieve of, disburden, disencumber, unload.
3. curtail, shorten, abbreviate, condense, contract, compact; retrench, cut back on, reduce, diminish.
prurient, adj. 1. lascivious, lewd, lecherous, lubricous, Archaic, lickerish, satyric, satyrical, satyrlike, hircine, goatish, ruttish, SI. horny; lustful, randy, SI. hot or hot for; concupiscent, libidinous, salacious; fleshly, carnal, sensual, voluptuous, erotic; licentious, loose, Cyprian, wanton, abandoned, incontinent; debauched, rakish, rakehell, dissolute, dissipated, profligate; promiscuous, whorish, of easy virtue, SI. cheap, shameless; depraved, degenerate, perverted, incestuous, masochistic, sadistic, pederastic, coprophilic; immodest, impure, unchaste, unvirtuous.
2. obscene, lurid, blue, pornographic, Inf. porno, porn, smutty, SI. raunchy; indecent, offensive, suggestive, vulgar, coarse, gross, crude; dirty, unclean, foul, filthy, vile; foulmouthed, dirty-minded; ribald, scurrilous, irreverent; bawdy, Fescennine.
3. desirous, covetous, avaricious, grasping, rapacious; Open-mouthed, hoggish, piggish, swinish; insatiable, insatiate, unquenchable; anxious, breathless, impatient, restless, longing, burning; hungry, craving, esurient.
pry1, v. 1. inquire, question, query, quiz, ask; examine, interrogate, Inf grill, cross-examine; meddle, interfere, intermeddle, Brit. Dial, mell, interlope; intrude, butt in, U.S. SI. horn in, obtrude; impose, interpose, intervene; mind other people's business, Inf. nose into, Inf. nose around, Inf nose about, Inf stick one's nose in, poke one's nose in, poke or stick one's nose where it doesn't belong, Inf. kibitz, put one's two cents in, put in one's oar; busybody, have one's finger in every pie, have one's nose in every door.
2. peek, peep, peer, squint at, sneak a look or peek; look curiously, look closely or narrowly, look hard or intently at; inspect, survey, scan; watch, follow with the eye, view, witness; ogle, gape, gawk, crane, gaze at, stare at, goggle, Inf. rubber, Inf. rubberneck; study, scrutinize, examine.
3. search, seek out, investigate, probe, prowl around, dig, dig into, delve, smell or sniff out; explore, look into, Inf. snoop, Inf. snoop around, spy.
-n. 4. meddler, intermeddler, quidnunc, busybody, Inf. busy, Paul Pry; Inf. snoop, Inf. snooper, Inf. kibitzer, Australian SI. stickybeak; inquisitive, inquirer, questioner, Inf. question box, Inf. nosy, SI. nosy Parker, Inf. nosybody, Inf. rubberneck, Inf rubber-necker, Peeping Tom.
pry1, v. 1. force open, pull open, pull apart, detach; raise, lift, hoist; lever, move, work up, yank.
2. get, obtain, procure; ferret out, worm out, smoke out; fish for, angle for.