dish out, Inf. spoon out; supply, equip, bestow, furnish, grant.
2. administer, discharge, apply, minister; implement, prosecute, carry out, effectuate, bring to bear; execute, regulate, operate, engineer; direct, prescribe.
3. grant a dispensation, exempt, except, release, free, reprieve, let off; relax, loosen, lessen, bend the rules; remit, absolve, acquit, pardon, excuse, exonerate, clear.
4. dispense with a. forgo, do without, not touch, abstain, forswear, forbear, refrain from; waive, relinquish, give up; cede, yield, renounce, disclaim, reject, b. rid of, do away with, abolish, repeal, revoke, rescind; abrogate, nullify, annul, cancel; dispose of, shake off, clear.
dispenser, n. 1. distributor, giver, dealer, allotter, apportioner; vendor, peddler, seller, salesman, trader, wholesaler, merchant; donor, presenter, contributor, bestower, grantor; druggist, pharmacist, apothecary, Brit, chemist.
2. container, holder, box, package, canister, carton; vending machine, candy machine, cigarette machine, soda machine,
disperse, v. 1. scatter, broadcast, scatter to the winds, sow, bestrew, sprinkle, spatter; spread, circulate, disseminate, dissipate, diffuse.
2. disband, dissolve, dismiss; dispel, drive away or off, rout, separate, break up, eject, banish.
3. disappear, vanish, clear out, melt away, run off, evanesce.
dispersion, n. scattering, broadcast, distribution; spread, circulation, dissemination; divergence, separate, disjunction; dissipation, diffusion; apportionment, allocation, allotment,
dispirit, v. dishearten, throw cold water on, damp, dash, wither one's hopes; discourage, deter, disincline; deject, cast down, sadden, depress; knock down, prostrate, unman; tire, weary.
dispirited, adj. discouraged, disheartened, dejected, downcast, down-hearted, crestfallen; in the doldrums, mopish, weary, out of sorts, Inf down in the dumps; glum, forlorn, cheerless, sad, Inf. down in the mouth, heartsick, unhappy; depressed, despondent, unconsol-able, disconsolate, Scot. sackless,
displace, v. 1. disturb, disarrange, disorder, derange, unsettle, confuse; move, relocate, shift, transfer, transpose; misplace, mislay, put in the wrong place.
2. replace, supplant, supersede, succeed, take the place of, crowd out, Inf. bump.
3. remove, depose, dislodge, unseat, disestablish; oust, eject, expel, dispossess, uproot, evict, export, exile, banish; discharge, dismiss, cashier, fire, Inf bounce, Inf sack.
display, v. 1. exhibit, present, set forth, expose, air, uncover, disclose, demonstrate; show, evince, manifest, betray; advertise, publicize, post, placard, blazon; array, arrange, place, dispose.
2. unfold, unfurl, extend, open out, spread out, stretch out.
3. flaunt, SI. put on the ritz, flourish, parade, vaunt, show off, boast.
-n. 4. exhibition, exhibit, show, presentation, airing, exposition; advertisement, publication, posting; array, arrangement, staging, window dressing.
5. evincement, manifestation, revelation, disclosure, uncovering, exposure, divulgence.
6. ostentation, pretension, ritz, splash; blazon, spectacle, parade, pageant, pageantry, ceremony; pomp, magnificence, grandeur, splendor, glitter, flourish.
displease, v. 1. anger, incense, raise [s.o.'s] ire, SI.