proportionate, commensurable, similar, connatural, analogous, cognate; alike, like, near, akin, kindred, close, affinitive, relative, correlative; approximate, approaching, resembling, quasi; commensurate, equivalent, synonymous, same, identical, matching; balanced, parallel, symmetrical; uniform, consistent, accordant, harmonious, concordant, synchronous, in agreement.
2. equal to, coordinate, tantamount, on even ground with, on even terms with, on a par with, as good as, on a level with, in a class with, a match for.
comparative, adj. relative, comparable, near, close, approximate, proximate; limited, restricted, qualified, modified.
compare, v. 1. collate, contrast, set side by side, juxtapose, oppose, set against, SI. stack up; measure, weigh, balance; divide, separate, differentiate, discriminate; correlate, relate.
2. liken, equate, match, analogize, associate, identify with.
3. resemble, look like, be similar, have the earmarks of, take after, follow; correspond, parallel, approximate, approach; be a match for, hold a candle to, be as good as, be in a class with, be on par with, be on equal footing.
comparison, n. 1. contrast, contrasting, setting side by side, collation, collating, apposition, juxtaposition, juxtaposing, setting against, Si stacking up; opposing, opposition, confrontation, confronting; measurement, measuring, Sighing, balance, balancing; observation, close scrutiny, study; division, dividing, separation, separating, distinction, discrimination.
2. likening, equating, equation, match; analogy, parallel, association, identification; illustration, exemplification.
3. relation, correlation, ratio, proportion, commen-surability, comparability; resemblance, likeness, similarity, affinity, filiation, kinship, propinquity, closeness, nearness, proximity, approximation; relationship, connection, cognation, alliance, comparativeness; consistency, agreement, concurrence, correspondence, homology; assonance, consonance, accord, unison; synonymy, equivalence, equipollence.
compartment, n. 1. partition, section, part, division, department; area, sphere, space, place.
2. pigeonhole, cubbyhole, cubby, niche, nook; drawer, tray, well, till, box, bin, hold, receptacle, bunker.
3. booth, stall, bay, cubicle, carrel, carol, cell, cage, pew, alcove, corner; closet, locker, chamber, room, roomette, cabin, berth, apartment, enclosure.
compass, n. 1. needle, magnetic needle, direction finder, radio direction finder, RDF, guide, loran, shoran, Aeronaut, earth inductor.
2. perimeter, periphery, border, edge, rim, fringe; circumference, ambit, margin, frame, outline, confine, confines; bound, limit, bourn, pale, extremity; limits, city limits, outer limits.
3. area, extent, range, scope; reach, stretch, spread, sweep, span, measure, width, breadth; section, region, zone, quarter; territory, realm, domain, province; premises, demesne.
4. scale, register, gamut, Music, diapason, range.
5. circuit, cycle, orbit, revolution; round, lap, turn, loop.
-adj. 6. curved, rounded, bowed, crooked, hooked; arched, vaulted, cambered, embowed, forniciform. -v. 7. lap, go or move around or round, go the round, make the round of; circuit, circle, circumambulate.