2. mature, ripened, seasoned, salted; weathered, hardened, toughened, battle-scarred, Inf. through the mill, Inf through the wringer; sophisticated, knowing, SI. in the know, worldly, worldly-wise, SI. wise, Inf. been around, initiated.
3. undergone, lived through, gone through, endured, suffered through; contacted, met, faced, observed, perceived; tasted, sampled, tested, tried; sensed, felt.
experiment, n. 1. trial, test, demonstration, examination, investigation, inquiry, questioning, research, experimentation; venture, endeavor, effort, attempt, essay, go; tryout, feeler, trial balloon, speculation; trial and error, process of elimination, tentative procedure, shot in the dark, random shot.
2. test procedure, Inf. pilot, operation; observation, analysis, touchstone, assay.
3. evidence, verification, confirmation, corroboration, substantiation, authentication, proof.
-v. 4. try, test, demonstrate, examine, probe, investigate, inquire, question, speculate; try out, sample, try and try again, make trial of, conduct an experiment; put to the test, analyze, assay; verify, prove, demonstrate.
5. venture, endeavor, attempt, essay, have a go at; approach, look at, take a fresh look at, begin work on, take preliminary steps, set about, break with tradition, explore new avenues, enter virgin territory, Inf. give something a whirl, Inf. fool around with; feel one's way, put out feelers, send up a trial balloon, feel the pulse; grope for, fish for, grasp at straws.
experimental, adj. 1. tentative, hypothetical, speculative, probationary, on approval, pending; conjectural, theoretical, questionable, indefinite; assumptive, empirical, experiential.
2. exploratory, pilot, under examination or consideration, on trial, theoretic, provisional, untried; in the trial stages, full of kinks, not perfected, probative, probatory; under observation, in the spotlight, under the microscope.
expert, n. 1. specialist, authority, pundit, scholar; one of the cognoscenti, connoisseur, critic; (both of martial arts) black belt, dan.
2. master, proficient, adept, mavin, master hand, Chiefly Brit. Inf. dab hand, Brit. Dial, dabster; maestro, virtuoso, talent, genius, prodigy, standout, Inf. wizard, Inf. whiz, U.S. SI. crackerjack, SI. sharp, SI. shark; professional, Inf. pro, journeyman, veteran, past mistress, past master, old hand, old stager.
-adj. 3. masterful, masterly, standout, topflight, top-drawer, first-rate, ace, Inf. topnotch, Inf. crack, U.S. SI. crackerjack, Inf. whiz-bang, Brit. SI. whizzo.
4. proficient, adept, finished, polished, accomplished, practiced, experienced, Fr. au fait, Inf. knowing the ropes; skillful, skilled, dexterous, adroit, deft, facile; knowledgeable, learned, well-versed, well-informed.
-v. 5. counsel, advise, consult with, confer, recommend, suggest; enlighten, educate, acquaint, apprise, inform, notify.
expiate, v. atone, make amends, make up for, offset, redeem; do penance, shrive, pay, pay the penalty, pay the piper; recompense, make reparation; redress, right, remedy; go to confession, wash away one's sins; put on sackcloth and ashes, beat one's breast, cry mea culpa.
expiation, n. amends, compensation, indemnity, reparation, restitution, redress, repayment, requital, quittance; redemption, satisfaction, remedy, righting;