fortable, discomfort, discountenance, discomfit, make self-conscious; abash, shame, humiliate, mortify, cause to lose face, put down, humble; discompose, disturb, upset, fluster, agitate, bother, distract, derange; confound, perplex, nonplus, confuse, pose.
2. complicate, make intricate, entangle, tangle, snarl, muddle, involve.
3. impede, hamper, hinder, obstruct, frustrate, thwart; encumber, burden, handicap, clog; plague, vex, annoy, harass, trouble, distress.
4. straiten, Rare, indebt; (all financially) beset, be-seige, beleaguer, burden.
embarrassed, adj. 1. abashed, chagrined, nonplused, humiliated, mortified, put down, humbled; disconcerted, discomforted, uncomfortable, ill-at-ease, discomfited, discomposed, upset, flustered; ashamed, shamefaced, blushing, flush, flushed, redfaced, red in the face, Inf red, [have] egg on one's face; self-conscious, awkward, clumsy, sheepish, shrinking, timid.
2. confused, at a loss, on the horns of a dilemma, between the devil and the deep blue sea, in a bind; Inf. between a rock and a hard place, Inf. in a fix, Inf. in a scrape, Inf. in a pickle, Inf. in hot water, squirming, wriggling, pinned to the wall, SI. in for it.
3. (all financially) straitened, in debt, in the red, insolvent, impecunious, Inf. hard-up, Inf. broke, Inf pinched, Inf. short.
embarrassment, n. 1. chagrin, shame, abashment, disconcertment, disconcertion, discomposure, discomfort, uncomfortableness, uneasiness, self-consciousness, awkwardness, bashfulness, clumsiness, perturbation, bewilderment.
2. predicament, dilemma, bind, no-win situation, quandary, plight, scrape, imbroglio, straits, pass, difficulty, rub, Archaic, hobble; trouble, mess, Inf. hot water, Inf. pickle, Inf. fix, Inf. stew; entanglement, confusion, perplexity, muddle.
3. blemish, stain, smudge, wart, skeleton in the closet, Inf dirty linen; blunder, SI. blooper, SI. boner, faux pas, gaucherie; sore spot, touchy subject.
4. hindrance, impediment, obstacle, stumbling block, rub, snag, hitch; encumbrance, burden, handicap.
5. overabundance, superabundance, superfluity, excess, surplusage, profusion; surfeit, glut, repletion; oversupply, deluge, flood, inundation, avalanche.
embassy, n. 1. consulate, legation, ministry, res
idence, Archaic, embassade.
2. delegation, legation, deputation, representation, staff; ambassadors, envoys, emissaries.
3. mission, commission, errand.
embattle, v. 1. arm, equip, prepare, outfit, fit out;
fortify, strengthen, brace, buttress, shore up.
2. crenellate, circumvallate.
embed, v. fix, bed, set, locate, base, root, establish, deposit; inlay, lay in, install, insert, plant, implant, press in, impact; pop in, thrust in, drive in, ram in, stuff in; graft, ingraft, dovetail.
embellish, v. 1. adorn, decorate, ornament, trim, furbish, Archaic, dight, Archaic, ouch; elaborate, festoon, rubricate; array, bedizen, deck, deck out, be
deck, trap, trap out, caparison; dress, dress up, attire, accouter; spangle, bespangle, stud, bestud, beset; emblazon, blazon, illuminate, bedaub; gild, varnish, trick out.
2. beautify, prettify, fix up, prink, Inf. titivate, Inf. spruce up, Inf. pretty up, Inf. trick up.
My Account / Test History
I put my watch with the radio news.
I set my watch by the radio news.