certify, guarantee, warrant; assure, pledge, promise, vow, give one's word or one's word of honor; bind, obligate, engage; ensure, insure, make sure or certain, confirm, corroborate, make firm, stabilize, settle, decide; secure, clinch, clench, SI. cinch, complete, consummate.
5. close, fasten shut, secure, bind, lock, bolt, bar; clasp, snap, zip; stop, cork, plug, bung; seal up, board up, fasten or batten down.
seal1, n. fur seal, harbor seal, sea dog, sea lion, sea
seam, n. 1. suture, commissure, joint, juncture, junction.
2. wrinkle, crow's-foot, line, furrow, ridge; scar, mark, Med. cicatrix.
-v. 3. furrow, wrinkle, line, ridge; scar, mark,
seaman, n. sailor, mariner, seafarer, bluejacket, marine, jack-tar. See - sailor (defs. 1-3).
seamstress, n. semptress, dressmaker, couturidre, tailor, sewer, stitcher; needlewoman, needleworker, needlepointer, embroiderer, crewelworker, lace maker, tatter; knitter, crocheter.
seamy, adj. 1. disagreeable, unpleasant, unpleas-ing, distasteful, unpalatable, unsavory; disgusting, nauseating, nauseous, sickening, Sl. gross, Sl. yukky; obnoxious, offensive, objectionable, noisome, nasty, repugnant, repulsive, repelling, repellent, revolting.
2. sordid, low, low-down, dirty, mean, ignoble, base; dishonorable, disreputable, discreditable, disgraceful, shabby, shameful, scandalous, opprobrious; corrupt, depraved, perverted, debased, vitiated, degenerate, miscreant, villainous; vile, bad, foul, rotten, scurvy, contemptible; detestable, despicable, execrable, odious, abominable, abhorrent,
stance, n. 1. divination, mediumistic communication; contact with the spirits, contact with the afterworld, contact with the spirits of the departed.
2. session, sitting, meet, meeting; convocation, congregation, assemblage, congress, get-together, gathering; conclave, audience, consultation, palaver, caucus, Inf. powwow, huddle, strategy meeting,
sear, v. 1. burn, singe, toast, brown, broil; overcook, burn to a crisp, scorch, char, cauterize, oxidize.
2. brand, stamp, mark, put one's mark on.
3. harden, steel, toughen, brutalize, make callous, caseharden, inure; dull, blunt, obtund, hebetate; desensitize, stupefy, make insensible.
4. wither, parch, dry, dry up, dry out; dehydrate, exsiccate, desiccate; wilt, shrivel, shrink.
search, v. 1. go through, look through, investigate, hunt through, rummage or plow through, scrounge around; explore, examine, frisk; scrutinize, peruse, inspect; sift, sift through, winnow, comb, go through with a finetooth comb; fish for, cast about for; inspect, Inf. give the once-over, peer into, probe into, scour; seek, look for, look up, scout out, dig up or out; track down, follow the trail, seek clues, leave no stone unturned.
2. search me Slang.
I don't know, it's hard to tell, that's a mystery, who knows, don't ask me, how should
I know, beats me.
-n. 3. examination, perusal, inspection; scrutiny, scrutinization; analysis, research, sifting, close look, Inf. once-over, observation, exploration, reconnaissance, reconnoitering, patrol, scouting; hunt, quest, pursuit, chase; tracking, tracking down, looking for, investigation; inquest, inquisition, inquiry, probe, query, questioning,
searching, adj. 1. thorough, thoroughgoing, total, exhaustive, in-depth, A to Z, absolute, complete.