observation, n. 1. observing, noticing, seeing, looking, watching, viewing, witnessing, eyeing; notice, note, consideration, heed, cognition, attentiveness, attention; inspection, regard, Sl. once-over; perceiving, perception, advertence, cognizance, awareness; espial, reconnaissance, espionage, spying, surveillance, Inf stake-out; examination, visual examination, study, scrutiny, perusal, review, survey, overview, exploration; absorption, intentness, interest, concentration; staring, ogling.
2. observance, keeping, adherence, compliance, conformance.
3. comment, assertion, declaration, affirmation; commentary, description, account, illustration, depiction, sketch, report, statement; concept, sentiment, feeling, impression, reaction; expression of opinion or point of view, judgment, mind, opinion, say, thought, view, averment, position; consideration, reflection, idea, notion, conception; speculation, explanation, light, revelation, discovery, finding; detail, particular, note, mention; pronouncement, announcement, thinking, way of thinking, profession, declaration, Inf. one's two cents' worth; criticism, hint, animadversion, aspersion, derogation, Inf crack, Inf wisecrack; saying, word, utterance, expression, phrase, witticism, bright remark, sage comment, happy thought.
observatory, n. 1. astronomical observatory, Orbiting Astronomical Observatory, OAO.
2. tower, watchtower, observation post, lookout Naut. crow's nest.
observe, v. 1. see, look, eye, have in sight, set or lay eyes on, look on or upon, view, behold; witness, be a spectator, see with one's own eyes; sight, catch sight of, descry, get or catch a glimpse of, glimpse, pick out, spy, espy, Inf. spot, Inf. get a load of, Inf clap eyes on; glance at, peek at, take a sidelong look; perceive, discover, detect, discern, find, cognize, take in, make out, distinguish; notice, note, mark, be aware of, be conscious of, take notice of, remark, pay attention to, heed, attend, mind.
2. regard, contemplate, consider, review, study, examine, investigate, inspect; scrutinize, pore over, peruse, explore, take a close or careful look; make or take an observation of, take note or cognizance of, Inf. take the measure of, Inf. take a long, hard look at, Inf. check, Inf. check out; take a look at, glance or look over, scan, cast an eye over, size up, take stock of, survey, see at a glance; stare at, gaze at, peer at, ogle, Inf. get an eyeful of, Inf. eyeball, Inf give the once-over, Brit. Sl. deak, Brit. Sl. twig.
3. watch, keep an eye on, keep in sight or view, reconnoiter, keep under observation, spy upon, follow, monitor, Inf. keep tabs on; keep watch, be vigilant, see to, look sharp, be alert, pay attention, be watchful, be observant, keep one's eyes open, Inf. keep one's eyes peeled.
4. remark, utter, voice, state, say, put into words, comment, speak to, address, make mention of, refer to, make reference to, allude to; verbalize, articulate, enunciate, phrase, breathe; give tongue or voice to, vocalize, give utterance to; offer, suggest, present, come out with, exclaim, let fall or drop, break in with, interrupt, speak up, chime in with, interject; make known, announce, pronounce, aver, allege, assert, declare, proclaim; tell, impart, convey, put or set forth, express, give expression to, couch in terms, recite; muse, reflect, Dial, opine, express one's opinion, make a remark, fling off, Inf. get off a shot, Sl. get in a good one.
5. maintain, hold, hold with, respect, acknowledge, bow before or to, defer to, be resigned or submissive to; obey, follow, live up to, cling to, hold on to, be faithful to, adhere to, submit to, be guided or regu-