swine, n. 1. hog, pig, sow, barrow; razorback, boar, wart hog, peccary, babirusa; porker, grunter, tusker, oinker; piggy, piglet, pigling, hogling, shoat.
2. brute, animal, wolf, monster, savage; masher, lecher, libertine, pervert, dirty old man; worm, cur, hound, louse, vermin; cad, Brit, blighter, Chiefly Brit. Sl. bounder, scab, fink, skunk, Sl. bastard; pimp, pander.
3. sensualist, sybarite, voluptuary, hedonist, pleas-ure-seeker; gourmand, epicure.
4. slob, pig, sloppy Joe, sloven, mudlark, wallower; lout, litterer, litterbug; frump, schlep, drab, draggle-tail; slattern, trollop, slut.
swing, v. 1. sway, oscillate, pendulate, librate; vacillate, rock, move back and forth or backward and forward, lurch, yaw; wag, wave, waver, waggle, Naut. jibe; wobble, bob, dangle, hang; seesaw, teeter-totter, ebb and flow, come and go, wibble-wabble; hitch and hike, zigzag, wigwag, pass and repass.
2. curve, veer, turn, lead, steer; lean, go, warp, head, point; wind, crook, arch, hook; circle, encircle, bow, twist.
swing around whirl, spin, swivel, turn about, turn around; make a U-turn, Sl. pop or hang a U, Sl. bang a U-ie, turn on a dime; put about, heel, turn on one's heel, pivot; wheel, pirouette, gyrate, round, rotate, wamble.
4. shuffle, flounder, vary, alternate, equivocate; shift, blow hot and cold, straddle the fence; tergiversate, quibble, dodge, evade; beat around the bush, hem and haw, beg the question.
5. direct, incline, drive, guide, bias, bend; influence, prevail upon, sway, work upon, move; persuade, win over, talk over; change, alter, vary, transform, convert, modify; engineer, manage, put through, Sl. put over, carry, Inf. negotiate.
-n. 6. oscillation, vibration, vacillation; fluctuation, libration, vibratility, nutation; pendulation, wag, waggle, wave; rock, lurch, reel, roll; to and fro, flux and reflux, coming and going, Fr. va-et-vient, ebb and flow, ups and downs, teeter-totter.
7. sweep, scope, range, play, carry; compass, reach, stretch, extent, radius; way, room, latitude, leeway, el-bowroom, headroom; margin, space, clearance; freedom of action, free scope, no holds barred, free hand; carte blanche, blank check, free play.
8. rhythm, movement, beat, pulse; regularity, periodicity, meter, cadence, lilt; measure, number or numbers, metrics, pattern.
9. progression, course, curve, drift, current, stream, tide; trend, the way things go, the way the wind blows, the way it is; set, line, run, tack, track.
in full swing Informal, in operation, in business, going, moving, open, Inf. cooking, hopping, underway, under sail; at full steam, in high or fourth gear, on the go, on the run, on the move, on the fly.
swinish, adj. 1. hoggish, piggish, porcine, Jocular. porky.
2. gross, coarse, churlish, beastly, animalistic, animal, brute; raffish, low, smutty, base, broad; licentious, lascivious, lewd, lecherous.
3. sensual, voluptuous, pleasure-seeking, selfseeking, hedonist; sybaritic, luxurious, epicurean; carnal, fleshly, physical, earthy.