-v. 11. authorize, command, bid, order, dictate, adjure, enjoin; ordain, decree, enact, institute, prescribe; set, appoint, assign, nominate, Mil. detail, name, station; sanction, charter, grant, warrant, privilege, enfranchise, license; ratify, approve, allow, permit, let; credit, accredit, qualify, legalize.
12. entrust, invest, endow, charge, vest, endue; entitle, brevet, promote; delegate, depute, deputize, empower, enable; consign, trust, place in charge of, deliver, make over, give over, hand over, turn over, relegate; commit, obligate, covenant, pledge, promise.
13. order, engage, contract for, indent, enlist; secure, hire, employ, book, retain; request, demand, requisition, impose, call for, ask for.
commissioner, n. 1. official, agent, commissary, deputy, proxy, factor; attorney, solicitor, attorney general, solicitor general; representative, delegate, consul, envoy, emissary, ambassador, legate, nuncio; minister, dignitary, diplomat, plenipotentiary; negotiator, intermediary, middleman, broker.
2. magistrate, officer, public servant; governor, mayor, sheriff, marshal; regent, provost, warden, chancellor, vicar; exarch, (all three Rom. Cath. Ch.) vicar-apostolic, vicar-capitular, vicar-general; bey, dey, viceroy, pasha, tetrarch; burgrave, margrave, palatine, khedive; vice-chairman, vice-chancellor, viceconsul, vice-regent, vice-gerent.
3. authority, ruler, commander, director, head, chief, chairman.
commit, v. 1. entrust, commend, confide, vest in, charge with; assign, relegate, appoint, commission, authorize, depute, delegate, invest, empower; send, dispatch, consign, hand over, give over, sign over, deliver, render, surrender, submit, yield; transfer, transmit, convey, forward; place, put, lay, deposit, reposit, store, save, bank, cache, Inf. salt down.
2. do, perform, practice, execute, Inf. pull; produce, effect, make, enact; perpetrate, pursue, continue, carry on; be a party to, participate in, have a hand in.
3. institutionalize, put away; hospitalize, confine, imprison, jail, incarcerate, put in custody; impound, intern, immure.
4. pledge, covenant, promise, swear, plight, vow, give one's word, assure; mortgage, hypothecate, im-pignorate; bind, obligate, engage, undertake; pawn, risk, stake; certify, guarantee, warrant, attest, vouch, answer for; compel, oblige, constrain.
5. (usu. of oneself) decide, make up one's mind, take a stand, fix upon, determine, choose; resolve, settle, conclude.
commitment, n. 1. entrustment, entrusting, commending, confiding; assignment, assigning, relegation, relegating, placing in charge, appointing, appointment; commission, authorization, deputation, delegation, investment, empowering; sending, dispatching, consignment, committal; handing over, delivering, delivery, deliverance, rendering, surrendering, surrender, submission, submitting, yielding; transfer, transference, transmission, conveyance, forwarding; placement, placing, putting, laying away, depositing, deposit, repositing, storing, saving.
2. institutionalization, confinement, restraint, constraint, duress; detention, custody, imprisonment, incarceration, durance, internment, impoundment, immuring.
3. perpetration, pursuance, pursuing; doing, enacting, performing, performance, practice, practicing, executing, execution.
4. pledge, pledging, covenant, promise, vow, vowing, plighting, giving one's word, assurance, assuring; obligation, responsibility, undertaking; certification, guarantee, warrant, vouching, attesting.