wad, n. 1. lump, mass, ball, plug, Dial, chaw; hunk, chunk, block, Sl. gob, mouthful.
2. bankroll, roll of money, roll, Sl. pile; thousands, millions, mint, Sl. load of money, Sl. lots of bucks or dough.
3. wads scads, oodles, lots, piles, heaps; a good deal, slew, Sl. load, raft, Sl. mess, Sl. gobs, pack, batch.
waddle, v. toddle, paddle, wag, duckwalk, shuffle; wobble, waggle, stagger, swing, sway, bob, wiggle, Scot. wamble.
wade, v. 1. walk through water, ford, traverse, cross; paddle, play in water, bathe, dip, splash about.
2. wade into start in, enter in, set to, go to it, Sl. get with it; set to work, buckle down, knuckle down, Inf. tackle, attack; plunge into, pitch into, dive into, Inf tear into, Sl. get cracking, Inf jump into.
3. wade through study, read, peruse, pore over, lucubrate; plug away, hammer away, pound away; drudge, grind, toil, plod, peg, fag.
wafer, n. disk, cracker, biscuit, tablet, snap; host, Eucharist.
waffle, v. equivocate, tergiversate, shuffle, beat around the bush, straddle the fence; dodge, hedge, evade the truth, evade the issue, not come to the point, mince the truth, fudge; side-step, hem and haw, Inf. weasel, duck; euphemize, subtilize, prevaricate.
waft, v. float, drift, ride high, whisk, glide, be buoyed up; whiff, blow, puff, huff, whiffle.
wag, v. 1. pendulate, sway, swing, waggle, wiggle, Inf. diddle; wobble, bobble, bob, nod, wave, flutter; fluctuate, oscillate, wigwag; flap, flit, flicker, flip, beat; shake, rock, jerk, twitch, vellicate; jiggle, sputter, waver, dance, undulate; swish, switch, vacillate, quiver; wriggle, squirm, turn, writhe.
-n. 2. shake, wobble, wiggle, waggle; switch, swish, flick, flutter, wave, swing, sway; vellication, jerk, oscillation, jiggle, flicker; waver, quiver, bob, bobble, beat, flap.
3. wit, humorist, jester, joker, comic, comedian; joke-ster, banterer, wisecracker, droll, life of the party; farcer, buffoon, scaramouche, Inf cutup, harlequin, merry-andrew; punner, epigrammatist, caricaturist, Fr. bel esprit.
wage, n. 1. Usu.
wages salary, pay, emolument, remuneration, compensation, earnings, Brit. Sl. get; payment, hire, stipend, fee, honorarium; perquisites, Inf. perks, fringe benefits, Inf. benefits, Inf. fringes, Inf. extras.
wages recompense, requital, quittance; reward, Archaic, meed, Literary, guerdon, deserts; returns, interest, yield, gain.