11. bite, nip, champ, chomp; grab, seizure.
12. spell, wave, period, interval, time.
snappish, adj. 1. irritable, testy, touchy, petulant, irascible, prickly; high strung, hot-tempered, hot-blooded, thin-skinned, quick-tempered, quick, hasty, trigger-happy; peevish, huffish, waspish, raspy, peppery, fretful; huffy, edgy, on edge.
2. grumpy, cranky, grouchy, crotchety, churlish, bearish; gruff, cantankerous, impatient, crabby; splenetic, choleric, dyspeptic, moody, temperamental, out of sorts; cross, crusty, crabbed, ill-tempered, ill-humored, sharp, tart, acerbic; curt, abrupt, brusque, short, snappy,
snare, n. 1. trap, gin, springe, Archaic, trepan,
deadfall, pitfall; noose; net, seine, meshes.
-v. 2. trap, entangle, enmesh, Archaic, trepan; in veigle, take in, hoodwink, ensnare. See - ensnare. snarl1, v. 1. growl, gnarl, gnar, bark; menace,
2. snap at, lash out at, loose one's temper, Inf. fly off the handle, Inf. flare up, bite [s.o.'s] head off. -n. 3. growl, bark.
snarl2, n. 1. tangle, knot, snag, jam; kink, twist, coil; network, web, webwork; wilderness, jungle, labyrinth, maze.
2. entanglement, complication, problem, perplexity, puzzle, Gordian knot; hitch, snag, catch; complexity, intricacy, difficulty, involvement, imbroglio; predicament, fix, Inf. pickle, tight spot, plight, quandary, dilemma; trouble, muddle, mix up, Si. snafu, Si. foul-up, Inf. mess, Inf. a heap of trouble; obstruction, obstacle, quagmire, quicksand.
-v. 3. tangle, entangle, ravel, knot, jam; kink,
twist, coil, interweave, interlace.
snarl up confuse, scramble, mix up, disorder, dishevel, tousle, jumble, muddle, fuddle, SI. muzz, SI. ball up; complicate, make difficult, make obscure; perplex, bewilder, baffle, nonplus, puzzle, mystify.
snatch, v. 1. Usu.
snatch at grab at or for, make a grab at, grasp at or for, grope for, clutch at, catch at, claw at, reach for, pursue; grapple for, scramble for, wrestle for, fight over; handle, feel, pick at, play with.
2. grab, pluck, pull, whisk, jerk, yank, Inf. snap up, Inf. nip; grip, gripe, grasp, clasp, clutch, clench; seize, catch, catch hold of, lay hold of, lay hands on, latch onto, fasten upon, get, Inf. get one's fingers or hands on; hook, snag, make off with, walk away with, carry off; apprehend, capture, arrest, take into custody, take prisoner, bag, Inf. pick up, Inf. collar, Inf. nab, U.S. Inf. corral, SI. bust, SI. pinch; clinch, secure, lock up, tie up, wrap up, Inf. cinch, Si. sew up, Si. have in the bag, Si. put on ice; imprison, incarcerate, jail.
3. take, take over, take for oneself, assume, appropriate, expropriate, confiscate, impound, usurp, misappropriate, arrogate, Law. sequester, Law. sequestrate, Law. levy, Law. disseize, Law. distrain; commandeer, hijack, skyjack, pirate, take by force; steal, rob, purloin, fleece, pocket, Si. swipe, Si. pinch; abstract, plagiarize, borrow, Inf. crib, Si. lift.
snatch from rescue, save, ransom, liberate, deliver, redeem; pull [s.t.] out, turn [s.t.] around, salvage, wrest, extract.
5. Slang, kidnap, petnap, dognap, abduct, rape, hold as hostage or for ransom.