17. keep one's head remain calm, keep one's wits about oneself, keep cool, Inf keep one's cool, Inf. roll with the punches.
lose one's head lose control, explode, blow up, Inf. lose one's cool, become excited; SI. flip out, SI. blow one's lid, SI. flip one's lid, SI. freak out.
-adj. 19. first, chief, leading, premier, main, principal, cardinal; supreme, paramount, capital; crowning, culminating, capping, consummating; zenithal, apical, meridian, acmic; maximal, extreme, ultimate.
20. frontal, fore, anterior, front, forward; topmost, headmost, top, uppermost, overmost, foremost; cephalic, cranial, occipital, sincipital.
21. opposing, counter, contrary, impeditive; oncoming, head-on, fronting.
-v. 22. lead, precede, lead the way, go first, forerun, forego, antecede; crown, top, surmount, top off, cap; lead off, Inf kick off; herald, introduce, usher in.
23. outdo, excel, take the lead, beat, best, better; surpass, pass, get ahead of, come to the front; outrank, overbear, outweigh, overbalance; outrun, outride, outstrip, outpace; outdistance, distance, leave behind, leave in the lurch.
24. direct, command, rule, control, regulate, sway; govern, lead, boss, administer; supervise, superintend, oversee; guide, conduct, run, pull the strings; preside, captain, pilot.
25. turn, steer, direct, aim, point; warp, bias, jibe; head for, make for, bear for; move towards, gravitate, tend, induce, lean; verge, bend to, go, point, lead, dispose.
26. head off intercept, catch, cut off, stop on the way, step in, interpose; stay, restrain, inhibit.
headache, n. 1. pain in the head, splitting or throbbing headache, sick headache, migraine, Obs. megrim, Med. cephalalgia, Pathol, hemicrania, Pathol. hemialgia.
2. Informal, bother, trouble, inconvenience, nuisance, annoyance, bane,
headdress, n. 1. head covering, coiffure, headpiece, headgear; cap, hat, bonnet, capote, turban; hood, cowl, capuche. See - hat.
2. hairdo, hairstyle, haircut, cut, coiffure, Inf. coif. See - hairdo.
headfirst, adv. 1. headlong, headforemost, head-on; diving, in a nose dive, Inf. in a header, in a dive; plunging, pitching, head over heels, ducking, on one's head.
2. rashly, hastily, hurriedly, impetuously, impulsively, on the spur of the moment, abruptly; recklessly, heedlessly, carelessly, incautiously, foolishly; helter-skelter, pell-mell, in confusion,
heading, n. 1. headpiece, cap, crown, crest.
2. title, caption, rubric; headline, head, banner, banner head or line, superscription, streamer.
3. section, division, category, class, division.
4. course, bearing, direction, aim, way.
headland, n. cape, point, hook, spur, promontory, foreland, head, Scot. mull; peninsula, Chersonese; spit, sandspit, sandbar.
headless, adj. 1. acephalous, acephalic, topless, crownless; decapitated, decollated, beheaded, guillotined.
2. leaderless, undirected, unguided, ungoverned, reinless, rudderless; aimless, directionless, wayward, rambling, roving.
3. unintelligent, stupid, brainless, mindless, witless, senseless, idiotic, moronic; empty-headed, peabrained, Inf harebrained, dim-witted; foolish, Inf fool, silly, fatuous.