16. develop, progress, proceed, move along; evolve, mature, bloom, ripen; work out, unfold, unwind, unfurl.
17. pass, circulate, get abroad, go around, get out; become public, acquire currency, get afloat.
18. sound, say, translate, pronounce; be phrased, be said, be spoken, be formed; be pronounced, be voiced, be vocalized; be written, be composed, be spelled.
19. wear out, tire out, weaken, deteriorate, degenerate; decline, fade, flag, lose power; become weakened, become worn out, become ineffective, become useless.
20. break, fail, give way, collapse, burst, pop; snap, tear, crack, give; fall down, cave in, tumble; crumble, crumple, disintegrate, fall to pieces.
21. go down a. lose, suffer defeat, fall, be the loser; be beaten, be upset, SI. be licked, SI. be drubbed, b. be remembered, be recalled, be memorialized, be commemorated.
22. go off explode, fire, detonate, fulminate; blow up, pop, burst, erupt, blow, SI. go boom.
23. go on a. happen, take place, occur, come about, arise, ensue, b. endure, last, continue, stay; abide, remain, run.
go out expire, fade out, die out; be extinguished, be doused, be quenched, be turned off, be unplugged.
go over review, examine, inspect, study, look over; read, scan, peruse, run over, skim, give a quick once over.
go through bear, experience, suffer, withstand, undergo; put up with, stand, take, tolerate, submit to; weather, brook, brave.
go together date, keep company, court, go with, go out with; go steady with, Brit, walk out with, see, woo, Inf. be honeys.
let go release one's hold, unarm, unhand, disengage; free, release, set free, liberate, loose, open the door to.
-n. 29. energy, spirit, animation, vigor, dynamism; life, elan, dash, zest, verve, vim; get up and go, Inf. pep, Inf. zip, vim, vigor and vitality; drive, enterprise. initiative, push.
30. attempt, try, trial, essay, Archaic, assay; Inf. shot, Inf. fling, SI. whirl, Si. stab, SI. crack, SI. whack; venture, endeavor, effort, bid, gambit.
31. success, triumph, victory; prosperity, good fortune, run of luck, luck; winner, SI. smash, Inf. hit.
32. from the word “go” since the beginning, from the very start, from the first, Inf. since way back when, Latin, ab initio, Latin, ab ovo.
all the go fashionable, chic, stylish, modish, smart, Si. hip; in vogue, in fashion, d la mode. -interj. 34. start, get going, move, run, hop to it, take off; step lively, get a move on, SI. get the lead out. 35. begone, be off, Archaic, avaunt, away, away with; get out, go away, get along, get or be on your way, get out of here; get out of my sight, Inf. make yourself scarce, SI. beat it, SI. vamoose, SI. scram, SI. get lost, SI. hit the road.
goad, n. 1. prod, rowel, stick, shaft, staff, shepherd's staff, quarterstaff, stave, pole, rod, crook, shepherd's crook; lance, spear, point.
2. stimulus, stimulant, incentive, fillip, provocative, motive; spur, prick, jog, jolt, poke; incitement, inducement, instigation, encouragement, abetment, provocation, egging on, putting up to; dare, taunt, gibe.