2. All Nautical, on the masts, at the masthead, in the upper rigging, overhead,
alone, adj. 1. separate, single, lone, sole, individual, discrete; apart, cut off, isolated, solitary, by oneself, Scot. waff; unattended, unaccompanied, com-panionless, Inf. by one's lonesome.
2. lonely, lonesome, forlorn, bereft, forsaken; abandoned, deserted, derelict, desolate, out in the cold.
3. only, just, mere, simply, nothing but.
4. unique, unequaled, unparalleled, peerless, matchless, nonpareil; unexcelled, unsurpassed, incomparable; inimitable, unrepeated, freakish. -adv. 5. solitarily, solely, singly; separately, individually, distinctly, discretely.
6. unaided, unassisted, unhelped, by oneself, single-handedly; under one's own steam; independently, on one's own, Inf. on one's lonesome.
7. only, exclusively, merely, simply, just.
along, prep. 1. beside, by the side of, alongside, along the side of, Obs. or Dial, alongst, parallel with or to, close by; on the border of, on the boundary of, on the line of, on the edge of, on the fringe of; through, throughout, all through, throughout the course of, over, all over, roundabout; from one end to the other, throughout the length of; on.
2. during, in the course of, in the process of, in the middle of, in the midst of.
3. in accordance with, in conformity with, in keeping with, in harmony with, in line with, in step with, in agreement with, in compliance with, in uniformity with, in correspondence to; together with, right with, in there with; consistent with, congruent with, uniform with; comfortable to, according to. -adv. 4. lengthwise, lengthways, longwise, longways, by the length, in length, at length, in line with the length, longitudinally; parallel with or to the length, alongside, along the side, beside, by the side of, close to the side, next to, right next to; aside, on one side, to one side, to the side, off to one side, off to the side, on the side, sidelong; abreast, side by side, cheek by cheek, cheek by jowl, board by board.
5. onward, onwards, on, on ahead, ahead, forward, forwards, forth.
6. in company with, in agreement with, in association with, in conjunction with; together with, coupled with, paired with, partnered with, joined with, united with; with, plus, including, inclusive of, as well as, not to mention, to say nothing of, let alone; added to, linked to, with the addition of, in addition to, over and above; simultaneously, at the same time, in unison, together.
7. down the line, through the ranks, SI. through the grapevine, from one person or place to another, from person to person, from place to place.
8. all along, all the time, all the while, from the start, from the beginning, throughout, at all times.
alongside, adv. 1. along, along the side, beside, by the side of, parallel with or to the length, close to the side, next to, right next to; aside, at the side, on one side, to one side, to the side, off to one side, off to the side, on the side, sidelong; abreast, side by side, cheek by cheek, cheek by jowl, board by board.
-prep. 2. along, beside, by the side of, along the side of, Obs. or Dial, alongst, parallel with or to, close by; on the border of, on the boundary of, on the line of, on the edge of, on the fringe of.
aloof, adv. 1. apart, separately, by oneself; off, away, at a distance, at arm's length.