annulment, n.1. nullification, annulling, disannul-ment, abolishment, abolition, voidance, Law.avoidance, Law.defeasance; quashing, invalidation, Obs. vacatur, disenactment, disestablishment, cancellation, discharge, setting aside; repeal, revocation, rescinding, rescission, abrogation, reversal; Law.nolle prosequi, cessation, discontinuance, suspension.
2. recantation, retraction, withdrawal, recall, undoing; renouncement, abjuration, repudiation, disclaimer, disavowal; countermand, counterorder, overruling, overriding; termination, dissolution, putting an end to, bringing to an end.
anodyne, n.1. painkiller, narcotic, opiate; laudanum, morphine, opium, poppy, mandrake, mandrag-ora, nepenthe; sedative, tranquilizer, stupefacient; alleviative, palliative, lenitive; salve, ointment, balm, Med.
2. assuagement, relief, easing, easement, letup, respite, remission; abatement, mitigation, alleviation, palliation; softening, mollification, soothing, comfort.
-adj.3. pain-relieving, pain-killing, febrifuge, anesthetic; palliative, alleviative, relieving, soothing, assuasive; sedative, Med.
calmative, lenitive, abirritant; emollient, demulcent, softening,
anoint, n.1. oil, embrocate, Archaic, salve; grease, lubricate, lard; smear, spread over, moisten, daub, slick on.
2. consecrate, sanctify, bless, hallow; dedicate, devote, Archaic, anele; ordain, crown, enthrone,
anomalous, adj.1. deviate, deviant, aberrant, divergent, heterodox, heretical, errant, wayward, devious; abnormal, irregular, variable, anomalistic; deviating, diverging, departing, digressing, lapsing, wandering, rambling, straying, roving.
2. strange, odd, peculiar, curious, queer, eccentric, offbeat, Inf.quirky; unconventional, uncommon, unusual, unique, extraordinary, exceptional, singular, individual; monstrous, heteroclite, heteroclitical, unnatural, freakish, Inf.freaky.
3. incongruous, incongruent, different, disparate, mismatched, ill-fitting, inharmonious, discordant, dissonant; inappropriate, inapplicable, inapropos, inapt, unsuited, unsuitable, inapposite, out of place; unfit, unacceptable, out of line, out of hand; contradictory, conflicting, contrary, inconsistent, discrepant.
anomaly, n.1. deviation, aberration, aberrance, aberrancy, divergence, digression, departure, divagation, divarication, Rare,
anomalism; abnormality, abnormity, irregularity, variation.
2. nonconformist, deviate, deviant, deviator, radical, heretic, Chiefly Brit,
punk; misfit, maverick, drop out, loner, lone wolf, solitary, solitary man, fish out of water, square peg in a round hole; character, card, original, pip, sport, exception, individual, nonesuch, nondescript, bohemian; crank, fanatic; crazy, flake, freak, three-dollar bill, crackpot, rare bird, queer fellow, queer duck, queer potato, Inf.fruitcake, Inf. dingbat, Inf.ding-a-ling; All SI.
weirdo, weirdy, weirdie, creep, oddball, screwball, nut, loony, looner, case, geezer, kook, odd duck, squirrel; monster, monstrosity, miscreation, malformation, abortion, deformity, mutant, freak, freak of nature, heteroclite, teratogeny.
3. oddity, peculiarity, curiosity, eccentricity, idiosyncrasy, idiocrasy, hobby horse, quirk; strangeness, oddness, queerness, curiousness, freakishness, bizarreness; uncommonness, uncommonality, unconventionality, unusualness, nonconformity, exception, singularity, singularness, individuality, individualness.