unversed, adj. unfamiliar, unacquainted, unconver-sant, unused to, a stranger to; unpracticed, unskilled, untrained; ignorant, unenlightened, untaught, untutored; uninformed, uninitiated; inexperienced, raw, green, unseasoned, wet behind the ears; uneducated, unschooled, uninstructed, unlettered,
unwanted, adj. unwelcome, uninvited, undesired, undesirable; unsolicited, unasked, undemanded, unrequested, unsought, unbesought, uncalled-for; rejected, outcast, ostracized, estranged, excluded, blacklisted, blackballed; unpleasant, distasteful, unenjoyable. thankless; unmourned, unlamented,
unwarranted, adj. uncalled-for. See - uncalled-for (defs. 1, 3, 4).
unwary, adj. incautious, rash, reckless, precipitate, headlong; heedless, unheeding, careless, disregardful, regardless, thoughtless, unthinking, unmindful, mindless, witless, unreflecting; indiscreet, imprudent, unwise, improvident; impulsive, unguarded, unwatchful, unobservant, uncircumspect; unsophisticated, unwordly, not wise to the world, innocent, naiVe, childlike, like or innocent as a newborn babe; gullible, credulous, easily taken in.
unwavering, adj. unfaltering. See - unfaltering, unwell, adj. ill, ailing, indisposed, afflicted, sick, Inf. sick as a dog, Inf. under the weather, Inf. out of sorts, Inf. not feeling oneself, SI. off one's feed; in poor health, poorly, unhealthy; sickly, pale, pallid, wan, sallow; anemic, washed-out, seedy, run-down; invalid, valetudinarian, valetudinary; laid up, prostrate, flat on one's back, hospitalized, Brit, in hospital,
unwholesome, adj. 1. unhealthful, insalubrious, insalutary; pernicious, injurious, deleterious, harmful, hurtful, destructive; noxious, noisome, toxic, septic, poisonous; unhygienic, unsanitary, germ-ridden, dirty, filthy, foul.
2. demoralizing, depraving, degrading, corrupting, perverting; unscrupulous, unprincipled, conscienceless, immoral, amoral, evil, wicked, sinful, bad.
3. unhealthy, sickly, pale, pallid, pasty, anemic, Inf. white as a ghost or sheet.
unwieldy, adj. unmanageable, unhandy, hard to handle, awkward, clumsy, ungainly; bulky, substantial, large, massive, huge; heavy, hefty, ponderous, cumbrous, cumbersome, weighty,
unwilling, adj. 1. reluctant, averse, loath, disinclined, indisposed, not in the mood, SI. not psyched, SI. not into it; opposed, against, disagreeing, un-consenting, at odds; involuntary, forced, against one's will.
2. obstinate, stubborn, uncooperative, indocile, uncompliant, inacquiescent; recalcitrant, refractory, contumacious, obstreperous; contrary, perverse, crossgrained, wrong-headed, backward,
unwind, v. 1. undo, loosen, loose, release; unravel, uncoil, unfurl, unroll, uncurl, unreel; disen-twine, untwine, untwist, disentangle, unwrap, disengage, separate.
2. relax, wind down, calm down, quiet down, be quiet; loosen up, let up, hang loose, Inf. let oneself go, Inf. let one's hair down; lay back, sit back, SI. take it easy; slow down, take a break, take time out, Inf. take a breather.
unwise, adj. 1. imprudent, incautious, indiscreet, irresponsible, injudicious; ill-considered, ill-suited, ill-advised, impolitic; impetuous, impulsive, shortsighted, heedless, unheeding; foolhardy, headlong, rash, unwary; irresponsible, thoughtless, careless, reckless.
2. unreasonable, irrational, illogical; haphazard, aimless, unconnected, groundless; inappropriate, inapplicable, inept; incongruous, inconsistent.
3. foolish, absurd, inane, pointless, fatuous; senseless, nonsensical; ridiculous, derisible, ludicrous, SI. for the birds; asinine, anserine, idiotic, Inf. moronic, imbecilic; harebrained, giddy, mercurial, reckless, unstable, harum-scarum; stupid, unintelligent, mindless, fatuitous, brainless, slow; blockheaded, boneheaded, empty-headed.