development, n. 1. growth, evolution, increase, increment, expansion, aggrandizement, enlargement, dilatation, swell; maturity, maturation, ripeness, unfolding, opening, blooming, blossoming, flowering.
2. improvement, build-up, strengthening; amplification, magnification, extension, augmentation, elaboration; progress, advancement, furtherance, promotion.
3. event, occurrence, happening, circumstance, item, issue.
deviant, adj. 1. aberrant, deviate, divergent. See - deviate (defs. 5-7).
-n. 2. noncomformist, deviator, radical. See - deviate (defs. 8-10).
deviate, v. 1. veer, straggle, turn aside; wander, ramble, meander, stray, drift, rove, divagate, Scot. and North Eng. sklent; err, miss, go astray, lose one's way.
2. depart, diverge, deflect, vary, differ, change, step aside, steer clear of; curve, turn, bend, swerve, tack, slue, slew, yaw, bear off, wheel, wheel about, swing about; shy, back off, Chiefly Brit, jib; sidle, edge.
3. digress, maunder, descant, be diffuse, rhapsodize, wax longwinded, go off on or at a tangent, beat around the bush.
4. divert, sidetrack, shift, switch, shunt.
-adj. 5. aberrant, deviant, divergent, errant, heretical, heterodox, wayward, devious; unacceptable, out of line, out of hand; erroneous, mistaken; deviating, diverging, divagating, departing, digressing, lapsing, wandering, rambling, drifting, straying, roving.
6. anomalous, anomalistic, abnormal, irregular, variable; odd, peculiar, curious, queer, strange, bizarre, weird, freakish; eccentric, idiosyncratic, Inf. quirky; unconventional, uncommon, unusual, offbeat, out of the ordinary, singular, exceptional, individual, individualistic, unorthodox; monstrous, unnatural, hetero-clite, heteromorphic, heteromorphous, malformed, deformed, misshapen, misshaped, miscreated; epicene, androgynous, hermaphroditic, hermaphroditical, transsexual.
7. perverse, perverted, corrupt, corrupted, twisted, Inf. kinky; wanton, depraved, degenerate, degenerated, deteriorated, vitiated, debased, abased; licentious, lascivious, lewd, suggestive; sadistic, masochistic; homosexual, homoerotic, homophile, Inf. gay, Inf. bent, Derog. queer, lesbian, sapphic, tribadistic, Derog. butch; bisexual, bisexed, SI. switch-hitting, SI. hitting or swinging from both sides, SI. ac/dc, am-phierotic; autoerotic.
-n. 8. anomaly, deviant, Rare, anomalism, abnormality, abnormity, irregularity, variation.