debonair, dapper, charming; polite, courteous, genteel, gracious, correct; minion, delicate, fastidious, recherche; lovely, comely, well-coiffed, dressed to the nines, dainty; beautiful, shapely, handsome.
3. discriminating, refined, intelligent, Attic, classical; well-proportioned, appropriate, balanced, harmonious, concinnous; aesthetic, artistic,
elegiac, adj. elegiacal, sorrowful, plaintive, mournful; sad, Fr. triste, melancholy; lugubrious, maudlin, emotional; epicedial, dirge-like, threnodic, funereal, somber.
elegy, n. dirge, threnody, (in Scotland and Ireland) coronach, requiem, monody; song of lamentation, lament, plaint, keen, Kaddish.
element, n. 1. component, constituent, ingredient, part, unit, module; member, integrant, part and parcel; portion, section, fragment, complement, piece, parcel, segment; item, detail, feature, particular.
2. habitat, medium, native state, domain; lair, ground, locus, resort, haunt; sphere, field, circle, realm, quarter, zone.
3. elements a. weather, climate, clime, atmospheric forces or conditions, environment,
b. principles, rudiments, fundamentals, foundations; outline, synopsis.
elementary, adj. 1. primary, rudimentary, rudi-mental, abecedarian; inchoate, imperfect; embryonic, embryonal, germinal, genetic, genetical, nascent, undeveloped; incipient, beginning, original; introductory, preparatory, proemial, preliminary, prefatory; fundamental, basic, basal, radical, root, underlying; primitive, primordial, primigenial.
2. simple, simplex, uncompounded, uncomplex, uncomplicated, easy, facile, Inf. soft, understandable, clear, plain.
3. elemental, component, constituent, factorial, essential; natural, naturelike.
elephantine, adj. 1. huge, big, mammoth, jumbo, gargantuan, massive, enormous; monumental, immense, large, massy, Brobdingnagian, Cyclopean; towering, monstrous, titanic; mighty, stupendous, Inf. whopping, Inf. thumping.
2. ponderous, pachydermal, hippopotamic, bulky, weighty, gross, heavy.
3. clumsy, ungraceful, awkward, ungainly, oafish; hulking, lubberly, lumbering.
elevate, v. 1. lift up, raise, move up, thrust up, heave, hoist; rear, raise aloft, erect, uprear, escalate; boost, uplift, upthrust, upheave, upthrow, upcast; jerk up, hike up, pull up.
2. exalt, magnify, heighten, aggrandize; dignify, ennoble, enthrone, crown; extol, glorify, esteem, great-en; enshrine, immortalize, lionize, deify.
3. promote, advance, prefer, SI. kick upstairs; upgrade, improve, ameliorate, meliorate, enhance, enrich, better.
4. cheer, cheer up, elate, gladden, brighten, put in a good mood; hearten, buoy, revive, vitalize; inspirit, inspire, animate, raise the spirits, Inf give a lift; regale, refresh, exhilarate, enliven.
elevated, adj. 1. raised, upturned, lifted, upraised, upcast, upright; high, up, high up, aloft, above; conspicuous, salient, distinct, articulate, marked, in bold relief.
2. noble, lofty, sublime, magnificent, majestic, splendid, imposing, impressive; exalted, grand, glorious, august, stately; dignified, distinguished, magnified; prominent, eminent, illustrious, notable, preeminent; high-minded, honorable, admirable, estimable; principled, righteous, sterling, meritorious.
3. grandiloquent, high-flown, stilted, pretentious; pompous, affected, magniloquent, orotund; high-sounding, Inf. high-falutin, overdone, showy.