2. facade, front, camouflage, mask, disguise; pretense, masquerade, deceptive show, show, surface, semblance, false appearance; speciousness, tinsel, sham.
3. explanation, apology, annotation; contrivance, concoction, cover-up, white lie, whitewashing, Inf. song and dance.
-v. 4. shellac, lacquer, enamel, glaze; polish,
shine, give a shine to, stain, veneer.
5. embellish, adorn, decorate, ornament; elaborate, array, deck, deck out, trap, trap out; emblazon, blazon, bedaub, gild.
6. mask, veil, disguise; smooth over, cover up, slick over; color, falsify, alter, doctor up; explain away, excuse, gloss over, gloze, whitewash, extenuate, palliate; apologize, play down, downplay, soft-pedal.
vary, v. 1. alter, modify, change, diversify; per mute, modulate, mutate, inflect; convert, transform, metamorphose, transfigure, transmute, transmorgify; revolutionize, transshape, remodel, remold, recast, reconstruct, restyle; shift, reorganize, reorder, permu-tate.
2. deviate, veer, shift; diverge, depart, deflect; swerve, bend; differ, disagree, contrast, be unlike.
3. alternate, adjust, correlate, change in succession; fluctuate, vacillate.
vase, n. vessel, urn, lachrymatory, lachrymal, Gk.
and Rom. Antiq. amphora, jar; container, receptacle, cruse, canister; jug, pitcher, ewer; carafe, bottle, decanter.
vast, adj. 1. immense, extensive, broad, wide, expansive, Archaic, vasty, Archaic, immane; voluminous, bulky, capacious, massive; huge, enormous, Archaic. enorm, large, big, prodigious; stupendous, great, towering, staggering, tremendous, SI. humongous, SI. hulking; titanic, cyclopean, Atlantean, Brobdingnag-ian; colossal, mammoth, gigantic, monstrous, monumental, jumbo; elephantine, hippopotamic, leviathan, behemoth, dinosaurian, megatherian.
2. immeasurable, boundless, illimitable, unlimited, uncircumscribed, unbounded, limitless, shoreless; endless, interminable, infinite, inexhaustible, never-ending; incalculable, measureless, fathomless, unfathomable, undeterminable, indeterminate,
vat, n. container, tank, caldron, cask, barrel, hogshead, puncheon, tun, butt, rundlet, keg; bucket, tub. pail, receptacle, vessel, firkin; basin, bowl.
vault1, n. 1. arch, span; bow, bend, curve, arc, camber, Archit. cove.
2. underground chamber, cellar, basement; hold, keep; storeroom, strong room, depository, repository, repertory; bank vault; safe, strongbox, safety-deposit box, cashbox; money chest, coffer.
3. crypt, tomb, sepulcher, mausoleum, burial chamber.
-v. 4. arch, bow, bend, curve, camber; overarch, arch over, span, bridge.
vault2, v. leap, spring, jump, bound, hop, curvet; hurdle, clear, leap or jump or vault over; pole-vault,
vaulted, adj. arched, curved, bowed, embowed, cambered, fornicated,
vaulting, adj. exaggerated, overblown, puffed-up, inflated; overambitious, high-flown, high-flying, Inf. highfalutin.