2. otherwise, else, more, on the side. -prep. 3. over and above, above and beyond, in addition to; apart from, U.S. Inf. aside from, other than, except, excepting, Inf. outside of, with the exception of; excluding, barring, saving; exclusive of, without, sans. besiege, v. 1. siege, lay siege to, invest, contain, confine, cordon off, blockade; surround, encircle, encompass, hedge in, pen in, shut in.
2. importune, press, pressure, push, ply; pester, plague, bother, trouble, nag, hound, buttonhole; beset, beleaguer, hector, harass, harry, besmear, v. smear, smirch, smudge, begrime, sully, soil, stain, smutch, draggle; daub all over, bedaub, blot, spot, blemish, splatter, spatter, bespatter; defile, blotch, mar, deface, besmirch, v. soil, begrime, muddy, draggle, bedraggle, smutch, smear, besmear; blot, spot, blemish, stain, blotch; mar, defame, defile, sully, taint; tarnish, dull, discolor, oxidate. besot, v. intoxicate, inebriate, stupefy. See befuddle. bespatter, v. 1. spatter, splatter, spot, blot, bedaub, stain, soil, sully, begrime, smudge, smirch, splash.
2. slander, defame, defile, blemish, blotch, mar; smear, besmear, muddy, tarnish, taint, blacken; mark, brand, stigmatize. bespeak, v. 1. ask for, ask for in advance, speak for, speak up for, solicit; prearrange for, order, engage, bid for, sue for; stipulate, requisition, reserve, secure, assure.
2. show, demonstrate, display, evince, exhibit, manifest, reveal, disclose, betray; indicate, imply, intimate; signify, import, point to, affirm, give a token or sign of, betoken; reflect, represent, savor of; tell of, proclaim, declare, express, testify, bear witness to, attest to; mean, denote, connote, suggest, purport, besprinkle, v. 1. sprinkle, scatter, strew, shower, dispense; dash, dust, powder, dredge, season, spice, flour, salt, sugar; dampen, moisten, spray, wet, water, bedew, spatter.
2. dot, spot, bespeckle, stipple, dapple, mottle; spread, disperse, broadcast, bestrew, best, adj. 1. excellent, unexcelled, unsurpassed, fine, Inf. super, Inf. superfine; first-class, first-rate, Inf. crack; superior, choice, select; top, paramount, capital; outstanding, foremost, preeminent; venerable, highest, peerless; perfect, superlative, consummate; pure, genuine, sterling, gilt-edged, sound, wholesome, Inf. tip-top.
2. auspicious, propitious, golden, advantageous; best-suited, right, correct, fitting, apt; most desirable, enviable, covetable.
3. largest, most, greatest, biggest, longest, most sizeable, substantial, preponderant, goodly. -adv. 4. excellently, most suitably, most advantageously, most fortunately, most happily.
5. greatly, extremely, most deeply, most highly, most fully.
6. as best one can try and try again, Inf. do one's darndest, fight the good fight, muddle through.
7. had best ought to, should, no doubt should.
-n. 8. finest, first, leading, top, foremost; strongest, most powerful, most vigorous, healthiest.
9. finery, fine things, finest clothing, Inf. best bib and tucker, Sunday best. See finery.
10. peak, prime, zenith, apex, height, Inf. top of one's form.