locker, n. 1. trunk, footlocker, chest, storage chest, case, casket, crate, coffret, Brit. Inf. lockup; closet, cabinet, carrel, carol, cage, cell, booth, stall, bay, cubicle, compartment; lockbox, strongbox, safe, vault, coffer, money box, treasure chest, treasury, repository.
2. freezer, cooler, refrigerator, ice box, Inf. fridge, Trademark. Frigidaire; storeroom, storage room, cellar, cellerage, buttery, larder,
lockup, n. jail, jailhouse, station house, police station, Inf. clink, Inf. calaboose, Scot. tollbooth, Brit. Inf. bridewell, All SI. can, cooler, coop, jug, hoosegow, drunk tank, booby hatch, poky, Brit. choky, Brit, quod; guardhouse, guardroom, brig; prison, penitentiary, penal institution, house of correction, house of detention, reformatory, SI. big house, SI. slammer, SI. stir; patrol wagon, police wagon, SI. paddy wagon,
locomotion, n. movement, motion, action, progression; traveling, moving, stepping, striding, walking, jogging, running, run.
locution, n. expression, phrase, idiom, metaphor, simile, Rhet. trope; word, term, saying, turn of speech; wording, phrasing, phraseology, choice of words; language, dialect, Linguistics, idiolect, accent, patois, brogue; diction, style,
lodestar, n. 1. polestar, North Star, Astron. Polaris.
2. guide, beacon, signal, sign; direction, directory, mark, landmark, indicator, pointer,
lodge, n. 1. shelter, habitation; cabin, hut; hunting house; summer cottage; resort hotel.
2. (all of American Indians) wigwam, tent, tepee, wickiup, Navaho. hogan, Eskimo, igloo.
3. (all of animals) den, lair, cave, excavation, dug-out, hole, furrow; nest, aerie, nidus, rookery; haunt, retreat, refuge, mew, shelter.
-v.4. reside, live, abide, Archaic, bide, dwell; sojourn, stay, tarry, remain; room, bunk, tenant; quarter, take up quarters, settle, be settled, keep house, establish oneself, plant oneself, put down stakes, anchor; pitch tent, encamp, bivouac; nestle, roost, perch, burrow, tabernacle, put up at, SI. hole up.
5. quarter, house, furnish with lodgings, board, put up, billet, bed down, roof, take in; shelter, harbor, shield, protect, guard.
6. deposit, place, put, reposit, bank; file, set, lay, cache, park, station, stow; transmit, entrust, vest, consign, transfer, deliver over.
7. house, contain, encase, enclose; shield, sheathe,
lodger, n. roomer, tenant, occupant, renter, lessee; guest, paying guest, boarder; inmate, incumbent,
lodgment, n. 1. boarding, lodging, quartering, housing, sheltering.
2. accumulation, collection, aggregation, compilation, assemblage, accretion, profusion, conglomeration; amassing, gathering, hoarding; pile, stock, stockpile, heap, bulk, fund; harvest, garner, store, reserve, supply, quantity, accruement.
3. lodgings, lodging place, diggings, Inf. digs, rooms, quarters, chambers, Inf. pad; abode, home, domicile, address, apartment, dwelling, residence.
loft, n. upper level, attic, garret, mansard, cockloft; gallery, balcony; hayloft.