5. preposterousness, unsensibleness, impracticality, unreasonableness; inappropriateness, impropriety, ineptitude, ineptness, incongruity, inconsistency; imprudence, indiscretion; irresponsibility, carelessness, unwariness, rashness, foolhardiness, recklessness. lunate, adj. lunated, crescent, crescent-shaped, sem-ilunar, semicircular; crescentlike, crescentoid, crescentic, moon-shaped. lunatic, n. 1. madman, SI. loony, maniac, bedlam ite, Inf. crackpot, SI. kook, SI. nut, SI. screwball; psychotic, SI. sickie, psychopath, schizophrenic, SI. schizo; paranoiac, Psychiatry, manic-depressive; Psychiatry. megalomaniac, pyromaniac, Psychol, kleptomaniac, dipsomaniac, automaniac.
2. eccentric, nonconformist, Bohemian; dreamer, Don Quixote, highflier, rhapsodist; enthusiast, fanatic, crank, zealot, phrenetic; energumen, demoniac.
3. imbecile, idiot, mooncalf, Inf. moron; dimwit, nitwit, half-wit, featherbrain, pinhead; fool, crack-brain, SI. lamebrain, saphead, Simple Simon, noodle, Inf. jay, SI. jerk, goose; simpleton, ninny, nincompoop, silly, silly billy, driveler, tomfool; sulker, Inf. grouch, Inf. crank. -adj. 4. insane, crazy, crazed, mad, lunatical, demented, deranged; of unsound mind, Latin, non compos mentis, mentally ill; daft, Inf. daffy, unbalanced, touched, Inf. unglued, Inf. half-baked, Brit. SI. bonkers, Brit. SI. barmy, unhinged, distracted; dazed, moon-struck, possessed, infatuated; odd, peculiar, queer, bizarre, Chiefly Brit. Inf. potty, Inf. dotty, Inf. crackpot; brainsick, SI. kooky, SI. meshuga; All SI. balmy, dippy, batty, bats, cuckoo, buggy, bughouse, bugs, screwy, wacky, wacko, goofy, loony, squirrelly, bananas, nuts, nutty, nutty as a fruitcake.
5. out of one's head or mind or senses or wits, Scot. redwood, SI. loco, mad as a hatter, mad as a March hare, far-gone, stark raving mad; not all there, not quite right, not right upstairs; Inf. out in left field, SI. in outer space, SI. in orbit, Inf. off the wall; Inf. cracked, Inf. mental, SI. off one's rocker, SI. out of one's tree, SI. out of one's kugel, SI. off one's trolley, Brit. SI. off one's chump; All SI. have bats in one's belfry, have a few buttons missing, have a few loose screws.
6. maniacal, hysterical, madding, Archaic, wood, delirious; frantic, frenzied, frenetic; ranting, raving, storming, foaming at the mouth, convulsing; overwrought, distraught, upset, worked-up, wrought-up, stirred-up; exasperated, provoked; beside oneself, at one's wit's end; out of control, uncontrollable, unre-strainable, corybantic, Inf. haywire, berserk, rabid, wild; violent, stormy, fierce, tempestuous, tumultuous, turbulent.
7. absurd, silly, inane, fatuous, crackbrained, foolish; irrational, wild-eyed, illogical, unreasonable; senseless, nonsensical, pointless; ridiculous, laughable, risible, derisible, ludicrous; asinine, anserine, idiotic, Inf. moronic, imbecilic; childish, puerile, immature.
8. stupid, simple-minded, bird-brained, feeble-minded, dull-witted; harebrained, light-minded, light-headed, giddy; rambling, driveling, wandering, incoherent; scatterbrained, absent-minded; confused, muddled, muddlepated, bemused.
9. featherheaded, light-hearted, giddy, carefree, Inf.