2. duty, bounden duty, obligation, onus, burden; office, charge, care, custody, trust; jurisdiction, bailiwick, beat; part, role, bit, task.
3. reliability, dependability; responsibleness, trustworthiness, creditability.
4. fault, guilt, blame, blameworthiness, culpability, culpableness, Scot. wite; censurability, reprehensibil-ity, reprehensibleness.
responsible, adj. 1. answerable, accountable, liable, amenable, chargeable; in one's hands, on one's shoulders, Inf in one's lap; beholden, obligated, obliged, bound, duty-bound, subject.
2. sane, rational, competent, Latin, compos mentis; sensible, sound, stable, reasonable.
3. reliable, dependable, conscientious, hardworking; solvent.
4. moral, ethical, upright, trustworthy, trusty; creditable, honest, faithful.
5. culpable, guilty, blamable, blameworthy; censurable, reprehensible.
6. authoritative, executive, decision-making, administrative.
rest1, n. 1. sleep, repose, slumber. Inf. beauty sleep; nap, catnap, nod, snooze, doze, siesta, Inf. forty winks; coma, Pathol, sopor, trance, stupor; lethargy, sluggishness, torpor, torpescence; dormancy, hibernation, estivation.
2. pause, halt, stand, hold, stay, stop; recess, break, time-out, breather, breathing time, breathing spell, time to catch one's breath; respite, inaction, inactivity; slackening, abatement, letup, lull; holiday, vacation, time off.
3. interim, interval, interlude, intermission, interstice, intermittence, intermittency; disconnection, disconnectedness, gap, hiatus, interruption, remission, lacuna.
4. cessation, ceasing, suspense, suspension, abeyance, discontinuance; status quo, waiting period, waiting game, holding pattern; impasse, stand-off, deadlock, stalemate.
5. ease, idleness, leisure, relaxation, otiosity, otioseness; loafing, laziness, indolence, vegetation, unemployment; It. dolce far niente.
6. still, stillness, silence, hush; quiet, quiescence, quietude, quietness; calmness, calm, tranquillity, peacefulness, peaceableness, peace, placidity, serenity, imperturbation; inertness, inertia, stability; motionless, immobility, fixity.
7. death, demise, decease, final rest, end, quietus; departure, crossing over, release.
8. refuge, shelter, retreat, haven; inn, hotel, motel, lodging place, resting place; camp, encampment, bivouac; home, abode, domain, domicile.
9. support, brace, bracket, prop, shore, stay; buttress, strut, splint, truss; mainstay, cornerstone, Archit., Civ. Eng. abutment; pillar, column, pier, Archit. pilaster; underpinning, Archit. rib, framework, grillage, grid, trellis, lattice; foundation, base, seat; substructure, substruction, substratum, understructure, understratum, All Archit. stereobate, socle, plinth; footing, flooring, floor, Building Trades, bedding; platform, scaffold, stand; trivet, trestle, sawhorse; sill, shelf, ledge; tie, tie beam, Brit, sleeper; footrest, armrest, headrest.
-v. 10. sleep, slumber, repose; All Sl. flake out, hit the sack, sack in, sack out, conk off, crash, log Z's, catch some Z's, count sheep, Brit. Sl. doss; nap, catnap, take a siesta, Inf. catch forty winks; doze, snooze, drowse.