simmer, v. 1. bubble, boil gently, seethe, stew, poach, cook.
2. be excited, be agitated, be tense, be feverish, be angry, fume, chafe,
simper, v. smile, giggle, titter, snigger, snicker, Inf. tee-hee; grin, smirk, grimace, mouth, SI. mug, Archaic. mow, make a face.
simple, adj. 1. easy, facile, effortless, like falling off a log, Inf. hands down, SI. no sweat, Inf. soft, SI. cushy, Music, semplice, Scot. eath; Inf. a snap, Inf. a breeze, SI. cinchy, SI. a cinch; understandable, comprehensible, intelligible, clear, lucid; obvious, evident, unmistakable; uncomplicated, uninvolved, manageable, wieldly, controllable.
2. plain, homely, shirtsleeve, down-home, informal, casual, unceremonious; natural, unaffected, unpretentious, unpretending; modest, unassuming.
3. attic, classic, clean, neat, trim; unembellished, unadorned, unarrayed, untrimmed, undecorated.
4. fundamental, basic, basal, radical, root, underlying; rudimentary, rudimental, inchoate, imperfect, undeveloped; introductory, preparatory, proemial, preliminary, prefatory; embryonic, embryonal, germinal, genetic, genetical, nascent, incipient, beginning.
5. single, uncombined, uncompounded, uncomplex, simplex; pure, unalloyed, unmixed, unblended; sole, only, alone, mere; bare, scarce, deficient, insufficient.
6. guileless, artless, uncontrived, candid, open, aboveboard, true-dealing; undissembling, undissembled, uncorrupted, unbought; sincere, honest, true, decent, fair, equitable, righteous, upright; straightforward, Inf. square, direct, unevasive, frank, blunt; unconditional, unqualified, absolute; ingenuous, naive, credulous, credent, believing, trusting, trustful, gullible; innocent, childlike, wholesome, unsophisticated, green, rustic.
7. ordinary, common, commonplace, prosaic, plebian, household, everyday, of the garden variety; mediocre, middling, average; humble, subservient, subordinate, lowly, inferior, meek; mean, low, base; insignificant, unimportant, inconsequential, trivial, trifling, paltry.
8. ignorant, unknowing, unknowledgeable, unaware; unlearned, unversed, uneducated, untutored, untaught; stupid, witless, brainless, unintelligent, feebleminded, feeble, Inf. dumb, Inf. moronic, SI. dopey; duncish, duncical, doltish, cloddish, oafish, blockheaded, boneheaded, thickskulled, SI. lunkheaded; obtuse, dense, bovine, dull, dull-witted, SI. dim-witted; retarded, slow, purblind, limited.
9. simple-minded, senseless, nonsensical, foolish, idiotic, imbecilic, imbecile, absurd, asinine, fatuous, SI. loony; silly, inane, pointless, Inf nutty, SI. goofy; featherbrained, scatterbrained, rattlebrained, rattleheaded; irrational, insensate, illogical, unreasoning, unreasonable, SI. wacky. -n. 10. ignoramus, idiot, imbecile, halfwit; fool, simpleton. See - simpleton (defs. 1, 2).
simpleton, n. 1. ignoramus, idiot, imbecile, halfwit, loon, Inf. moron, Inf. dummy, SI. dope; dunce, dullard, dolt, clod, oaf; blockhead, bonehead, dunderhead, dunderpate, loggerhead, Inf. lightweight, numskull, SI. dim-wit, SI. lug, SI. lunkhead, SI. cot-tagehead, Inf. stupid, SI. stupe.