-adv. 4. direct, directly, right, straight, straightforward, straightforwards, straightly, straight ahead, dead ahead; unswervingly, unveeringly, undeviatingly; in a direct or straight line, in a line for, in line with, Inf. in a bee line, Inf. as the crow flies, Inf. straight as an arrow.
5. outspokenly, freely, boldly, unreservedly, unrestrainedly, unconstrainedly, uninhibitedly, unshrinkingly.
6. candidly, frankly, forthrightly, directly, straightforwardly; explicitly, unequivocally, undisguisedly, plainly, in plain words or English, with no nonsense, all joking aside.
7. immediately, instantly, instanter, in a moment, at once, straightaway, then and there, right away, right off, Inf. right off the bat; in a glance, at a moment's notice.
forthwith, adv. immediately, at once, without delay, Jocular, immediately if not sooner, right away, instantly, instanter; at once, this very minute or moment, this instant, right off the bat, pronto, now; directly, straightway, presently, Archaic, anon; promptly, speedily, summarily, posthaste; instantaneously, in the wink of an eye, in the same breath, Inf in a jiffy, in a tick, in a moment, at the drop of a hat, on the spot.
fortification, n. 1. strengthening, reinforcement, buttressing, bracing, backing, redoubling; augmentation, addition, magnification, aggrandizement, intensification.
2. battlement, rampart, protection, bastion, Fort. vallation; parapet, blockhouse, Fort, machicolation, gallery, vault, Fort, casemate; barricade, buttress, buffer, palisade, abatis, stockade, enceinte; embankment, wall, parados, bank, mound; fence, defense, outwork, Rare, muniment, Fort, circumvallation; entrenchment, trench, moat, ditch, foxhole, dugout; bunker, nest, pill box, abri, Mil. hedgehog; All Fort, work, earthwork, breastwork, fieldwork, hornwork, lines; redan, redoubt, ravelin, lunette, demilune, tenaille; scarp, escarp, vallum, counterscarp, glacis.
fortify, v. 1. defend, protect, Fort, circumvallate; garrison, shelter, safeguard, cover, guard.
2. brace, shore up, buttress, reinforce; back, line, underline; harden, stiffen, stuff; temper, steel, indurate.
3. strengthen, embolden, empower; quicken, energize, invigorate, vivify, revive; encourage, cheer, hearten, buoy; assure, reassure, make confident.
4. augment, increase, heighten, redouble, enhance, Inf spike; amplify, intensify, aggrandize, magnify; supplement, add, superadd, enlarge, Literary, greaten; build up, bump up, boost.
5. confirm, prove, validate, authenticate, verify; establish, substantiate, circumstantiate; corroborate, back up, uphold, bear out, make good; endorse, attest, certify, warrant.
fortitude, n. patience, endurance, sufferance; tolerance, forbearance, long-suffering, longanimity; strength, moral strength, trepidity, courage, backbone; heart, grit, mettle, nerve, SI. guts, Inf: intestinal fortitude; tenacity, pertinacity, perseverance, resoluteness.
fortress, n. 1. fort, citadel. See - fort (def. 1).
2. haven, refuge, shelter, asylum, sanctum, sanctuary, safeguard, palladium; retreat, covert, hiding place, abri, port in a storm; hermitage, cloister, resort, home.
fortuitous, adj. 1. chance, serendipitous, Inf. fluky or flukey; unexpected, unanticipated, unforeseen, unlooked-for; casual, random, haphazard, hit-or-miss, arbitrary.
2. accidental, unintentional, unpremeditated, unplanned, undesigned; indeliberate, inadvertent, involuntary; incidental, occasional, contingent, adventitious.