deduction, n. 1. subtraction, removal, withdrawal abstraction, Archaic, subduction; diminution, lessening, abridgment, curtailment, retrenchment, reduction.
2. discount, U.S.
cut rate, markdown, cutback, rollback; rebate, refund; Math, subtrahend; allowance, exemption, (in reference to taxes) SI.
3. inference, conclusion, corollary, illation; induction, derivation, implication; consequence, result, demonstration, proof; presumption, assumption, understanding; reasoning, ratiocination.
deed, n. 1. act, turn, action; proceeding, performance, execution, doing; undertaking, project, enterprise; work, task, job, commission.
2. exploit, feat, Archaic, gest; achievement, step, stride, advancement, progress; accomplishment, attainment, acquirement, success.
3. maneuver, move, stroke, blow, coup, stunt, trick; stroke of genius, tour de force.
deem, v. think, judge, believe, imagine, presume; consider, estimate, calculate, hold, set down as; regard, view, look upon, see; suppose, surmise, fancy, take it, opine, Archaic, ween, count, reckon,
deep, adj. 1. immeasurable, bottomless, fathomless, depthless; extensive, broad, wia“, far-reaching, vast, massive; retreating, yawning, civernous, abysmal; submerged, sunk, sunken, on the bottom; buried, in the bowels of the earth, subterranean; deep-seated, deep-rooted, inmost, out of sight, Inf way down.
2. sagacious, sage, wise, learned, knowing; penetrating, discerning, perspicacious, shrewd, astute; artful, subtle, designing, scheming, devious, cunning.
3. profound, extreme, intense, great; grave, pressing, urgent, critical, vital, important, significant, Inf. heavy.
4. difficult, unclear, obscure, abstruse, esoteric, recondite; impenetrable, inexplicable, incomprehensible; secret, hidden, mysterious, unfathomable, concealed; enigmatic, mystical, sphinxlike, occult.
5. absorbed, engrossed, preoccupied, rapt, intent, involved, entangled; immersed, plunged into, lost in, swallowed up, occupied, engaged.
6. rich, full, big, strong, powerful, heavy, solid; full-toned, resonant, sonorous, bass, basso; rumbling, booming, resounding; guttural, growly; dark, intensified, vivid, vibrant, vigorous, full-bodied.
7. earnest, sincere, serious, sober, somber; philosophical, thoughtful, reflective; heartfelt, poignant, fervent, ardent, impassioned; intense, deep-felt.
-n. 8. bottom, depths, deepest reaches, bottommost point; depth, profundity, extent, vastness, abyss.
9. culmination, central point, midpoint, middle, midst; silence, still, stillness, fastness, recesses, remotest point.
the deep Chiefly Literary, the ocean, the sea, the seas, the high seas, the seven seas, main, the ocean blue, the waves; briny deep, Davy Jones's locker, Neptune's kingdom. -adv. 11. profoundly, intensely, deeply. See - deeply, deepen, v. 1. excavate, dredge, scoop out, dig out, dig; dig, burrow, sink, cut out, mine, sap.
2. intensify, strengthen, increase, enhance, add to, magnify, amplify, augment; reinforce, redouble, expand, broaden, darken; heighten, elevate, advance,
deeply, adv. 1. deep, far down, far below the surface, at a great depth, out of reach, Inf. way down, Inf. deep deep down.
2. profoundly, strongly, formidably, powerfully, urgently, intensely, acutely, keenly, vividly; extensively, greatly, immeasurably, vastly, abysmally; to a great extent, very much, in high degree.
3. passionately, with feeling, with depth, movingly, impressively, without reservation; penetratingly, piercingly, sharply.