dummy, n. 1. copy, sample, representation, reproduction, reprint; substitute, imitation, counterfeit, sham.
2. mannequin, model, lay figure, dressmaker's dummy.
3. Informal, dolt, blockhead, numskull, dullard. See dullard.
4. scapegoat, Inf. goat, straw man; agent, representative, alternative, double.
5. Slang, mute, deaf-mute, dumb person. dump, v. 1. drop, fling down, let fall, deposit; throw away, dispose, discharge, cast off.
2. empty out, pour out, unload, rid, unburden, disburden, Naut. break bulk.
3. fire, dismiss, expel, oust, Inf. give [s.o.] his walking papers; All Sl. sack, can, give [s.o.] the boot, bag, bump, bounce.
-n. 4. junkyard, wasteyard, trash pile or dump, rubbish heap, refuse heap, Brit. Dial, midden. dun1, v. (usu. for payment of debts) importune, press, urge, tax, solicit, beset, buttonhole; ply, push, besiege, Inf. work on; plague, pester, nag, Sl. bug. dun1, adj. 1. greyish-brown, swarthy, dusky, umber, drab; khaki, sallow, tawny, muddy.
2. dark, gloomy, somber, dim, tenebrous, shadowy; murky, pitchy, coaly, dirty, sooty; cloudy, overcast, leaden, fuliginous, crepuscular, dunce, n. dolt, numskull, simpleton, dullard. See dullard. dune, n. sand hill, sand ridge, mound, moor, barrow, Scot. brae; knoll, swell, hillock, hummock, monticule, molehill, anthill, dung, n. manure, excrement, muck, fertilizer, ordure, guano; dressing, night soil, droppings, cow or buffalo chips, U.S. West cow pies, coprolites, coproliths, Sl. flops; feces, stools, waste, feculence, dungeon, n. 1. oubliette, black hole, Sl. the hole, Inf. solitary; cell, cage, enclosure, lockup, place of confinement, Sl. coop.
2. (all in a castle) donjon, keep, hold, stronghold, safehold. dupe, n. 1. gull, gudgeon, Brit. Dial, cull, Archaic. cully, Inf. chump, Sl. sap, Sl. schnook, Sl. schlemiel, Sl. boob; greenhorn, sitting duck, easy or soft mark or target, Inf. sucker, Inf. cinch, Sl. patsy, Sl. pigeon, U.S. Sl. fall guy, Sl. softie or soft touch, Sl. pushover; laughing-stock, butt, fair game, fool, everybody's fool, Inf. goat, Brit. Sl. mug.
2. pawn, puppet, tool, instrument, flunky, lackey, cat's paw, creature, minion, dummy, Sl. stooge.
-v. 3. delude, deceive, fool, take in, throw dust in the eyes of, pull the wool over the eyes of, Inf. slip or pass one over on; gull, cozen, defraud, cheat; rook, victimize, defraud, bilk, swindle, cog, Archaic, chouse, Sl. take, SL snooker; pass off, palm off, impose upon, pull a fast one on, Inf. throw a curve; hoodwink, trick, outwit, bamboozle, overreach; lead on, take for a ride, Inf. fake [s.o.] out, Inf rope [s.o.] in, Inf. string along; All Inf. jive, fast-talk, flam, hype, buffalo, bulldoze; All Sl. con, snow, suck or sucker in, murphy, duplicate, v. 1. copy, replicate, clone; reproduce, repeat, double, make twofold, perform again; copy, run off, Trademark. Mimeograph, mimeo, Trademark. Xerox.
-n. 2. copy, facsimile, replica, reproduction, replication, clone; twin, double, likeness, match, mate, fellow, counterpart, look-alike, ringer, dead ringer; carbon, carbon copy, transcript.
-adj. 3. corresponding, matching, twin, exactly alike; similar, alike, the same, Tweedledum and Twee-dledee, Inf. like two peas in a pod, Inf. spitting image, Inf. spit and image; duplex, bifold; double, twofold, doubled.