3. vague, doubtful, confused, confusing, uncertain; unfixed, unspecific, inexplicit, loose, lax, unsettled, Inf. iffy; ambiguous, equivocal, Inf. neither fish nor fowl; questionable, inconclusive, evasive; puzzling, problematic, problematical, mysterious, abstruse, recondite, enigmatic; cryptic, abstract, oracular, mystic, transcendental, occult.
4. undecided, wishy-washy, hesitant, hesitating; vacillating, wavering, inconstant, fluctuating, shillyshallying, on the fence.
indelible, adj. inerasable, ineffaceable, ineradicable, unexpungeable, unobliterable, uncancelable; permanent, ingrained, indestructible, enduring, unfading; imperishable, inextinguishable, insoluble, indissoluble; firm; fresh, green, unforgotten, vivid; unforgettable, memorable, haunting, stamped on one's memory.
indelicacy, n. vulgarity, coarseness, roughness, loudness, rudeness, offensiveness; bad form, no manners, unmannerliness, boorishness, churlishness; inurbanity, inelegance, uncourtliness, incivility; impropriety, unseemliness, unbecomingness, indecorum, bad taste, tastelessness; unrefinement, barbarism, ungentlemanliness, loutishness; immodesty, indecency, impurity, impudicity, shamelessness; ribaldry, bawdiness, bawdry, obscenity, smuttiness, suggestiveness.
indemnification, n. compensation, recompense, quittance, indemnity; amends, atonement, reparation, redress, restitution, expiation; satisfaction, payment, reimbursement, restoration, return; tit for tat, measure for measure, Latin, quid pro quo; retribution, requital, retaliation, repayment, reckoning; revenge, reprisal, retribution, vengeance, an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, Inf. comeuppance, just deserts, due reward, punishment.
indemnify, v. 1. compensate, make good, satisfy; reimburse, remunerate, pay, repay, reward, return, pay back; expiate, requite, make restitution, make amends, atone, Inf. make it up to; retaliate, reckon with, take revenge on, take vengeance on, punish.
2. insure, underwrite, warrant, guarantee; countersign, set one's seal to, endorse, certify, answer for, stand behind; assure, make certain, secure, make secure, give security to, guard.
indemnity, n. 1. insurance, underwriting, warrant, guarantee, endorsement, certification, assurance; protection, safekeeping, preservation, conservation, protectorship, guardianship, custody, care, auspices, charge.
2. compensation, consideration, remuneration, reimbursement, return, reward; reparation, expiation, restitution, Latin, quid pro quo; indemnification, redress, restoration. See - indemnification.
3. legal exemption, diplomatic privilege, privilege, prerogative, impunity, untouchability, Inf. being above the law.
indent, v. 1. dent, dint, make a dent in, push in or down, depress, bruise, dimple, pit, stave in; notch, nick, groove, furrow, scallop, pink, serrate.
2. set in, set back, begin farther in, stagger.
indentation, n. cut, notch, nick, cleft, gash, score, serration, scallop, Archit. dentil; concavity, concave, indentation, incurvature, incurvation; cavity, depression, dip, hollow, impress; sinkhole, sink, swallow, swallow hole; cup, basin, bowl, crater, pit, excavation, deep recess.
indenture, n. 1. contract, compact, covenant, deal; written agreement, deed, lease, document, certificate; legal document, cartel, acknowledgment, written acknowledgment, written guarantee, written warranty, written pledge or promise, stipulation; bond, commitment, obligation.