screw up; encourage, embolden, hearten, enhearten, cheer, reassure, buoy, buoy up; arouse, rouse, stimulate, animate, inspirit, inspire, galvanize, electrify, vivify, rally, revive, awaken, shake up, jolt, jog.
-n. 9. tug, pull, hike, hitch; tweak, twinge, twitch; yank, jerk, snatch, grasp, wrest, clutch, catch, quick or sudden pull.
10. (all of animals; used for food) heart, liver, lungs.
11. mettle, mettlesomeness, spirit, pluckiness, gameness, nerve, chutzpah, backbone, gumption, heart, stout heart, blood, marrow, Archaic, pith, stamina, Inf. toughness, grit, true grit, U.S. Inf. sand, Inf. starch, Inf. spunk, Inf. spunkiness, SI. guts, SI. gutsiness, SI. moxie; courage, bravery, valor, valorousness, valiancy, valiance, heroism, prowess, stout-heartedness, lionheartedness, iron-heartedness, great-heartedness, high-heartedness; intrepidity, intrepidness, fearlessness, dauntlessness, awelessness, dreadlessness; boldness, bold-spiritedness, high-spiritedness, daring, derring-do, bravado, dan, dash, panache; audacity, audaciousness, rashness, recklessness, foolhardiness.
12. fortitude, endurance, tenacity, determination, will, will power; firmness, resolution, resoluteness, indomitableness, indomitability, invincibleness, invincibility, unconquerableness; staunchness, stalwartness, steadfastness, doughtiness, sturdiness, hardiness, hardihood, bulldog courage.
plucky, adj. 1. mettlesome, gritty, game, spirited, red-blooded, Inf. spunky; brave, courageous, valiant, valorous, heroic, hero-like, stout-hearted, lionhearted, iron-hearted, great-hearted, high-hearted; intrepid, fearless, dauntless, unafraid, dreadless, aweless, nervy, SI. gutsy, unblenching, unblenched, undaunted, undismayed, unappalled, unalarmed; bold, bold-spirited, high-spirited, daring, dashing, adventurous, audacious.
2. firm, resolute, determined, staunch, stanch, steadfast, stalwart, Archaic, stalworth, doughty, sturdy, hardy; indomitable, invincible, unconquerable, unyielding, unshrinking, unbending, unfaltering, unhesitating, unwavering, unswerving, undeviating.
3. vigorous, full of vigor, energetic, full of energy, active, spirited, animated, vivacious, gay, cheerful, lively, full of life, brisk, zesty, zestful, full of zest, robust, lusty, Inf. zippy, Inf. peppy, Inf. snappy, Inf. bouncing. plug, n. 1. wedge, peg, pin, spike; stopper, stop, cork, stopple, bung; spill, spile, Dentistry, dowel; pledget, wadding, stuffing, packing, tampon, tampion; tap, spigot, cock, stopcock, petcock, faucet, valve; obstruction, block, occlusion, clog.
2. chew, cake, twist, quid, cud; pigtail, Dial, chaw, cavendish.
3. Informal, publicity, promotion, mention, SI. boost, puff, SI. buildup; commendation, recognition, good word, honorable mention; SI. hype, SI. blurb, word, PR, SI. promo; exposure, report, SI. ballyhoo, advertising.
-v. 4. stop, stop up, stuff, block, occlude, bar, clog, obstruct; choke, fill, jam, pack; close, shut up, stay, cover; bung, cork, stopple, spile, stanch, caulk, seal; dam, dam up, constipate, bind.
5. Informal, promote, advertise, mention, publicize, sell; SI. boost, build up, Inf. puff up, SI. ballyhoo; commend, put in a good word about, make a pitch for, beat the drum for; write up, put on the map, make a household word.
6. Informal, plod, stuggle, toil, drudge, labor, peg away, grind, hammer away; persist, persevere, see it through, hold on, keep on or at; Inf. stick to it, never say die, SI. hang in there, give it all one's got, SI. give it