lessness, cold-bloodedness, hard-heartedness, iron-handedness, peremptoriness, tyrannicalness, abusiveness, punitiveness.
2. seriousness, soberness, sobriety, sedateness, solemnity, staidness, somberness, gravity; formality, aloofness, coldness, stiffness, tightness, stiltedness; sternness, grimness, austerity, hardness, forbiddingness; strait-lacedness, puritanicalness, rigidity, rigidness.
3. simplicity, plainness, modesty, bareness, spareness, blankness, starkness, asceticism; unadornment, undecorousness, unornamentation, unembellishment.
4. inclemency, storminess, temmpestuousness, turbulence; fierceness, furiousness, ferociousness, ferocity, ferity, vehemence, fury, rage; violence, force, might, intensity, sharpness.
5. grievousness, burdensomeness, opressiveness, onerousness, heaviness; toughness, exigency, difficulty, arduousness, laboriousness, toilsomeness, operose-ness.
6. exactness, exactitude, accuracy, precision; scrupulousness, meticulousness, fastidiousness. sew, v. stitch, machine stitch, seam, baste, hem; embroider, smock, gather, tuck, pleat; take in, alter, fit; make, Inf. whip up, run up; secure, fasten, attach, join, close; repair, fix.
sex, n. 1. gender; kind, sort, persuasion.
2. instinct, drive, appetite; attraction, pull, magnetism, animal magnetism, SI. chemistry, allurement, allure, fascination.
3. facts of life, Inf. birds and the bees; coitus, sexual intercourse, coition, copulation, fornication, congress, consummation, commerce, union, conjugation, conjunction; coupling, mating, making love, SI. getting it on, SI. doing it, SI. going to bed. sexton, n. church official, Archaic, sacristan, warden, caretaker, janitor, bell-ringer. sexuality, n. 1. sexual character, femininity, womanhood, masculinity, manhood; sex, gender; heterosexuality, homosexuality, lesbianism, bisexuality, androgyny, hermaphrodism.
2. earthy nature, physical nature, bodily appetite, drive, instinct, animal magnetism; carnality, fleshliness, voluptuousness, physicalness, sensuality, Inf. sexiness; lustfulness, concupiscence, lasciviousness, libidinousness, lecherousness, lewdness, prurience, salaciousness, SI. horniness; animality, bestiality, brutishness, coarseness, grossness. sexy, adj. Informal. 1. suggestive, exciting, arousing, sensual, sensuous, sexual, erotic; risqud, ribald, bawdy, bedroom, off-color, indecent, lewd; shameless, immodest, indecorous, unseemly, improper, indelicate, rude; obscene, pornographic, vulgar, foul, filthy, dirty, smutty, SI. raunchy, scata-logical; gross, crude, coarse.
2. attractive, appealing, fascinating, captivating; enticing, alluring, inviting, tempting, seductive, (of a woman) foxy; beautiful, lovely, pretty, stunning, Inf eye-filling, striking, zingy; shapely, curvy, Inf. curvaceous, voluptuous, SI. built, SI. stacked, SI. busty, beddable; good-looking, handsome, virile. shabby, adj. 1. worn, shopworn, threadbare, faded; ragged, raggedy, in rags, tattered, frayed; mangy, ratty, scrubby, scruffy.
2. grungy, dingy, dirty, Inf. grubby, Scot. ourie; impoverished, sorry, down-and-out, down-at-the-heels, out-at-the-heels or elbows, the worse for wear.
3. slovenly, disheveled, slipshod, untidy, unkempt, unsightly, frowzy, blowzy, Inf messy, frumpish, draggled, bedraggled, scraggly; ill-dressed, unfashionable,