grapple, v. 1. seize, take hold of, snatch, grab; grip, clinch, hold, squeeze, press; fasten, secure, make fast, hook, catch, pin.
grapple with a. struggle, fight, wrestle, tussle, scuffle; encounter, clash, combat, battle, brawl,
b. tackle, contend with, deal with, try to overcome,
grasp, v. 1. grip, gripe, clutch, clench; clasp, hold, grapple, clinch; take, lay hold of, nab, seize, grab, snatch, catch at, catch.
2. comprehend, understand, apprehend, realize, Chiefly Scot. ken; perceive, apperceive, cognize, know, SI. savvy, get, get the picture, follow, Inf. latch on or onto, SI. dig, Brit. SI. suss out; Inf. make head or tail of.
-n. 3. grip, gripe, clutch, clench; grapple, clinch; clasp, handclasp, embrace.
4. scope, extent, measure, range, breadth; compass, reach, sweep, limits, bound.
5. comprehension, understanding, apprehension, realization; awareness, sense, perception, apperception, cognition; knowledge, SI. savvy, Inf. fix, Brit. SI. suss.
6. hold, holding, possession; power, mastery, clutches,
grasping, adj. 1. greedy, avaricious, acquisitive, grabbing, SI. grabby, rapacious; selfish, hoarding, possessive; miserly, penurious, parsimonious, grudging; chary, sparing, Rare, illiberal, niggardly; stingy, mean, shabby, closefisted, tight-fisted, close, Inf. tight, griping, penny-pinching; sordid, exacting, extortionate, mercenary, venal, usurious.
2. eager, avid, desirous, cupidinous, anxious, breathless, impatient, longing, thirsting, athirst, ardent; agog, zealous, fervent, burning; ambitious, aspiring, hungry, craving, esurient.
3. ravenous, ravening, voracious, devouring, wolfish, gluttonous; hoggish, piggish, swinish; insatiable, insatiate, unquenchable, omnivorous.
grass, n. 1. herbage, vegetation, pasturage, verdure, Trademark. Astroturf; fodder, hay; pasture, lawn, green; sward, greensward, turf, sod.
2. Slang, marijuana. See - dope (def. 2).
grassland, n. pasture, prairie, campo, veld, veldt; savanna, steppe, the Steppes, pampas, llano; meadow, Archaic, mead, meadowiand, lea, downs; heath, moor, moorland, wold, plains, tundra,
grass roots, n. 1. countryside, rural districts, farm country, Inf sticks, SI. boondocks, SI. boonies; provinces, hinterlands, backwoods, back country, wilds, middle of nowhere; heartland, U.S. Peoria, U.S. Main Street, U.S. River City, down on the farm.
2. countrypeople, countryfolk, farmers, tillers of the soil; country cousins, hicks, rubes, yokels, rustics, hayseeds; common folk or people, democracy, commoners, we the people, average man; little guys, hometown folks, U.S. Middle America; hoi polloi, general public, U.S. John Q. Public, SI. Joe Blow, SI. Joe Doakes, the great unwashed, the masses; rank and file, workingmen, middle class, taxpayers, SI. peons, ones who work for a living,
grassy, adj. grasslike, gramineous, turfy; green, verdant, verdurous, emerald, aquamarine.
grate1, v. 1. irritate, aggravate, exasperate, exacerbate, rub the wrong way; annoy, vex, irk, peeve, gall, nettle; wear on, weary, fatigue, fatigate, tire; tax, strain, burden.
2. rasp, grit, gride, scrape, clank, jangle; screech, creak, screak, shrill, stridulate, sound off key;