provided, conj. on condition that, in case that, in case, if, if and only if, if it should happen that; in the event that, just in case, in any or either case; providing, with the proviso that, on condition, on condition that, with the stipulation or understanding, subject to, contingent upon.
providence, n. 1. divine intervention, God's will, predetermination; destiny, fate, fortune, lot, cup, portion, doom; karma, kismit; Fortune's wheel, wheel of fortune, stars, planets, astral influence; chance, mere chance, happenstance, fortuity, serendipity, happy chance; accident, uncertainty, luck, fortune; vicissitudes, ups and downs, fickle finger of fate.
2. foresight, prudence, care, judgment, discretion, discrimination, sagacity, perspicacity, judiciousness, presence of mind; caution, readiness, preparation, precaution, heed, watchfulness, farsightedness, longsightedness, circumspection.
3. economy, husbandry, careful or thrifty management, conservation; conserving, saving, economizing; thrift, thriftiness, frugality, frugalness, sparingness, cutting corners, making ends meet; keeping, safekeeping, care.
provident, adj. providential, farsighted, long-sighted, sagacious, judicious, thoughtful; prepared, ready, anticipating, equipped, with one's lamps trimmed; precautionary, wary, discreet, precautious, at the ready, in practice or shape, ready for anything, Inf. all set.
providential, adj. 1. auspicious, propitious, favorable, advantageous, ripe; opportune, seasonable, timely, well-timed, just in time, convenient; encouraging, promising, full of promise; rosy, bright, fair, sunny, golden, benign, benignant.
2. lucky, fortuitous, happy, felicitous, Scot. and North Eng., Irish Eng. sonsy, fortunate; favored, blessed, blessed with luck, with God's blessing; granted, bestowed, God-given, given, allowed, accorded, vouchsafed, gratuitous.
provider, n. 1. supporter, sole support, head of the household, breadwinner, Inf. one who brings home the bacon, Inf. one who puts food on the table.
2. patron, giver, donor, contributor, backer, financ-er, funder, angel; bestower, Law. grantor, imparter, fairy godmother, Lady Bountiful, Santa Claus, Inf. sugar daddy, Inf. soft touch; philanthropist, do-gooder.
3. supplier, furnisher, procurer, purveyor, provi-sioner, caterer.
province, n. 1. state, territory, region, area, district, division, zone, section, quarter, estate, pale, lands, demesne; dependency, dominion, realm, domain; ar-rondissement, canton, department; precinct, constituency, parish, borough, county; city, township, town, village, community; ward, neighborhood.
2. bailiwick, jurisdiction, beat, circuit, round, post, billet, station, berth; assignment, part, job, situation, place; sphere, compass, orbit, locale, locality, Inf. neck of the woods; authority, charge, function, capacity, role.
3. discipline, field, specialty, forte, specialization, branch, school, art, science; employment, line, occupation, business, trade, profession, Inf. racket, Inf.