icy, adj. 1. frozen, frore, frosty, rimy, sleety, glacial, ice-bound; glazed, glassy, slippery, slick.
2. freezing, gelid, arctic, ice-cold. See ice-cold (def. 1).
3. passionless, unemotional, distant, ice-cold. See ice-cold (def. 2).
idea, n. 1. conception, concept, conceptualization, construct; thought, abstraction.
2. understanding, perception, apprehension, awareness, notion, inkling; observation, impression, inference, assumption, surmise, guess, suspicion.
3. opinion, view, viewpoint, position, sentiment, mind, feeling; belief, credence, conviction, persuasion; creed, doctrine, philosophy, outlook; tenets, principles, teachings.
4. plan, design, scheme, dream, vision; intention, objective, object, end, aim, goal.
5. theory, hypothesis, postulate, supposition, conjecture; conceit, concoction, fantasy, daydream, fancy, fiction, flight of fancy.
ideal, n. 1. model, standard of perfection, standard of excellence, beau ideal, Latin, ne plus ultra; acme, height, pinnacle, peak; pink, paragon, nonpareil, nonsuch, flower, phoenix.
2. prototype, archetype, model, exemplar, example, paradigm; original, pattern, type, precedent, design, copy, die, mold, matrix, mint, text.
3. aim, goal, objective; target, butt, mark; end, destination; purpose, design.
-adj. 4. perfect, consummate, complete; exemplary, model; supreme, absolute; faultless, excellent.
5. abstract, unreal, unsubstantial, imaginary, visionary, fancied, idealistic; intellectual, mental, psychological, spiritual, metaphysical.
6. imaginative, fanciful, illusory, shadowy, fictitious, notional, fabulous, fantastic, chimerical; mythical, mythological, legendary, romantic, Utopian; whimsical, figmental, dreamy, cloud-built, fairylike; extravagant, preposterous, high-flown, not practical, impracticable, ivory-towered.
7. advantageous, excellent, best.
idealism, n. 1. pursuit of noble ideals, perfectionism, ideality.
2. idealistic philosophy, transcendentalism, metaphysics; immateriality, spiritualism.
3. romanticism, utopianism, quixotism; castle-building, dreaming; rose-colored glasses.
idealist, n. 1. pursuer of ideals, perfectionist; metaphysicist, philosopher, transcendentalist, spiritualist, ideologist.