fight, n. 1. battle, combat, duel, bout; contention, clash, conflict, struggle, Scot. sprattle, strife; war, warfare, fighting, hostilities; assault, attack, offensive, harassment, assailment; siege, besiegement, beset-ment, investment; collision, meeting, engagement, encounter, rencounter; brawl, feud, affray, wrangle, Inf. set-to; row, Scot. collieshangie, free-for-all, don-nybrook, rumble, broil; contest, show-down; melee, fisticuffs, boxing, SI. milling, match; outbreak, riot, Fr. emeute; scuffle, tussle, fray.
2. disagreement, squabble, difference of opinion, disaccord, discord, misunderstanding; parting of the ways, break up, divergence; altercation, argument, quarrel, SI. mix-up, dispute, disputation, contention; sparring, bickering, spatting, jangling; dissension, dissent, dissidence, discord, Inf. blow-up, falling-out.
-v. 3. battle, give or do battle, contend; clash, conflict with; encounter, engage, meet; duel, joust, tussle, skirmish, scuffle, jostle; war, make war, war against, go to war, go to battle, wage war, take the field, take up arms; brawl, feud, go at it tooth and nail, come to blows; pommel, beat, beat into the ground, batter; box, spar, exchange fisticuffs, slug it out, wrestle, grapple with; slaughter, massacre, butcher.
4. assault, attack, beset, assail, harass; raid, storm, charge, rush, tilt, blitz; set upon, pounce upon, bombard, open fire upon, engage in hostilities, SI. let [s.o.] have it, SI. lay into, Archaic, insult.
5. contest, confront, rise up against, Obs. militate against, rail against, ride against, struggle against, Archaic. reluct; oppose, defy, contradict, make something of, contravene, refute, confound; object to, protest, call in question, march against, make a stand against, dispute, oppugn; resist, repel, repulse, withstand, stand one's ground; frustrate, balk, foil, cross, play at cross purposes.
6. disagree, differ, fail to agree, disaccord, be at variance, be at odds; think differently, stand in opposition, diverge, deviate; part company, go separate ways, have a difference of opinion.
7. altercate, argue, quarrel, dispute, spar, have words, fall out; bicker, spat, tiff; quibble, squabble, wrangle; debate, dissent, contend, take issue with, contest, object, Scot. thraw.
8. conduct, carry on, wage, maneuver.
fighter, n. 1. warrior, brave, combatant, soldier, militarist, redcoat, janissary, Tommy Atkins, private, cavalryman, dragoon, man-at-arms, belligerent; attacker, assailant, assailer, assaulter, invader, aggressor, militant; rival, contestant, competitor, contender.
2. duelist, swordsman, fencer, jouster, gladiator; sharpshooter, rifleman, fusileer, musketeer, grenadier; archer, bowman; wrangler, brawler, affrayer; mercenary, soldier of fortune, free lance, adventurer; infantryman, foot soldier; artilleryman, gunner, cannoneer.
3. All Boxing, boxer, champion, prize fighter, Inf. slugger, pugilist; wrestler, grappler.
4. trouper, Inf. scrapper, die-hard, fanatic,
figment, n. fabrication, concoction, invention, illusion, delusion, product of the imagination; fiction, story, fable; falsehood, canard.
figurative, adj. metaphorical, tropical, not literal; allegorical, parabolic, anagogic, ironic, satirical; rep' resentative, descriptive, imagistic, illustrative, pictorial, graphic; significative, emblematic, symbolic, symbolizing, standing for.
figure, n. 1. number, numeral, cipher, digit.
2. sum, total, aggregate, amount, price, cost.
3. figures arithmetic, mathematics; statistics, Inf. stats., numerical data.
4. form, shape, outline, cast, cut; configuration, conformation, structure, frame, build, body.