independence, n. 1. self-government, self-direction, self-rule, self-legislation, self-determination; freedom, liberty, autonomy, sovereignty.
2. liberation, emancipation, manumission, disen-thrallment, decolonization; release, relief from, riddance from; deregulation, decontrol.
3. privilege, prerogative, right, authority; exemption, exception, immunity; license, franchise, authorization.
4. self-reliance, confidence, self-confidence, self-assurance, aplomb, boldness, Inf. spunk; unrestraint, unreservedness, unconstraint; naturalness, artlessness, ingenuousness, outspokenness, downrightness, directness, bluntness.
5. self-sufficiency, affluence, wealth, prosperity, competence, competency.
independent, adj. 1. self-governing, self-legislating, self-ruling, self-directing, inner-directed; free, sovereign, autonomous, autonomic, allodial, unsubject, uncolonial, noncolonial; enfranchised, freeborn.
2. unfettered, untrammeled, unrestrained, unconstrained; unregulated, ungoverned, unrestricted, laissez-faire; separate, unattached, disjoined, unconnected, unrelated, distinct.
3. free-thinking, individualistic, different, unconventional, bohemian; uninhibited, unceremonious, casual, familiar, free and easy; natural, artless, ingenuous; unreserved, outspoken, free-spoken, frank, open, direct, blunt; confident, self-confident, self-assured, self-willed, headstrong, bold, Inf. spunky; self-reliant, on one's own, standing on one's own two feet; free-wheeling, foot-loose, unconfined, at liberty, at large.
4. nonpartisan, disinterested, neutral, Politics, unaffiliated; uninfluenced, unswayed, unbiased, unprejudiced, unbigoted.
5. voluntary, unforced, uncoerced, uncompelled, spontaneous, unprompted, unbidden, unasked for, unsolicited.
6. self-sufficient, affluent, moneyed, well-to-do, well-off, wealthy, rich, flush, SI. on easy street.
-n. 7. do-it-yourselfer; Both Politics, nonpartisan, unaffiliated,
indescribable, adj. 1. ineffable, inexpressible, beyond words, incommunicable, undescribable; undefin-able, indefinite, nondescript, unnamable, nameless, unutterable, unspeakable.
2. inconceivable, incredible, unheard of, unusual, signal; strange, marvelous, wonderful, wondrous, SI. something else; singular, extraordinary, remarkable, amazing, prodigious, astonishing, stupendous, miraculous; striking, stunning, dazzling, foudroyant.
indestructible, adj. 1. deathless, undying; imperishable, inextinguishable, indissoluble, infrangible, unbreakable; indelible, ineradicable; immutable, unalterable, incommutable, changeless, unchangeable; unfading, incorruptible, undecaying, amaranthine, perennial, (of leaves) Bot. indeciduous, (of trees) evergreen.
2. enduring, abiding, lasting; constant, firm, fixed, fast, stable, durable, steady, permanent; endless, unceasing, immortal, eternal, Archaic, eterne, everlasting,
indeterminate, adj. 1. undetermined, unmeasured, uncounted, uncalculated, indefinite, unknown; uncertain, unsure, unsettled, undecided; unestablished, undefined, unset, unfixed; uncategorized, borderline, neither fish nor fowl.
2. undeterminable, undistinguishable, unclear, vague, nebulous, obscure; ambiguous, equivocal, imprecise, inexact, inexplicit; ill-defined, dim, hazy, clouded, cloudy, misty; fogged, foggy, blurred, blurry, confused, muddy, clear as mud. index, n. 1. catalog, directory, guide, key, Obs. table of contents.