disburden, v. 1. disencumber, unburden, lighten one's load, relieve, alleviate, unload; free, extricate, disengage, disembarrass, disentangle, unsnarl, disembroil; set at ease, set one's mind at ease or rest, take a load off one's mind.
2. discharge, discard, dispose of, cast off; dump, fling away, jettison,
disburse, v. 1. spend, expend, pay out, outlay, Inf. lay out, Sl. fork out, Sl. shell out, Sl. dish out.
2. distribute, parcel out, portion out, dole out, deal out, mete out; dispense, administer, issue,
disbursement, n. expenditure, payment, outlay, spending; distribution, disposal, dispersion, dispensation, issuance, administration.
discard, v. 1. reject, throw away, throw out, (of cards) slough; eject, toss out, dismiss from use, thrust aside, lay aside, cast aside, have done with, Inf. junk, Inf trash, Sl. eighty-six, eliminate, Sl. scratch; abandon, relinquish, forsake; dispense with, get rid of, drop.
2. repudiate, rescind, recall, retract, revoke; abolish, nullify, declare null and void, cancel. -n. 3. castaway, Inf. throw-out, (of cards) slough; distress merchandise, factory reject, reject, second, irregular, Inf. markdown; (pi.) rejectamenta; hand-me-down; outcast, derelict,
discern, v. see, behold, perceive, cognize; observe, notice, espy, descry, detect, discover; make out, decipher, figure out, ascertain, determine; distinguish, pick out, recognize; differentiate, make a distinction, discriminate, judge.
discernible, adj. visible, seeable, apparent, perceivable, perceptible; open, in full view, revealed, unconcealed, exposed, showing, unhidden, uncovered, unveiled, naked, bare; conspicuous, observable, noticeable; distinguishable, recognizable, well-marked, detectable, discoverable; distinct, in focus, lucid, plain as day, plain as the nose on one's face; plain, clear, evident, obvious, manifest, patent, palpable,
discerning, adj. astute, perceptive, clear-eyed, penetrating, piercing; keen, sharp, acute, quick; eagle-eyed, hawk-eyed, lynx-eyed, sharp-eyed; perspicacious, percipient, appercipient, discriminating, critical; sagacious, judicious, wise, sapient, knowing, aware, sensitive; discreet, politic, prudent, cautious, watchful, Argus-eyed, mindful; clear-headed, thoughtful, sensible, intelligent, reasonable, sound; alert, quick-witted, bright, smart, clever, shrewd, subtle; long-sighted, farsighted, far-seeing, long-headed.
discernment, n. 1. acumen, perceptiveness, insight, perspicacity, perspicaciousness, penetration, awareness; discrimination, distinguishment, acuteness, keenness, sharpness; cleverness, astuteness, shrewdness, ingenuity, ingeniousness; perception, Psychol. apperception, percipience, notice, observance; ascertainment, determination, discrimination, Inf. good eye.
2. apprehension, understanding, Obs. skill, comprehension; intelligence, knowledge, profundity, depth; sagacity, sagaciousness, wisdom; intuition, divination, clairvoyance; foresightedness, farsightedness, longheadedness; mother wit, wit, esprit; sense, common sense, good sense, judgment, prudence, brains, smartness, brightness.
3. descrying, espial, beholding, detection, discovery, seeing, discerning.
discharge, v. 1. unload, unburden, disburden, free, relieve, remove.
2. fire off, shoot, detonate, explode, burst; let off, let fly, set off; deliver a charge, give vent to.
3. emit, pour forth, send forth, send out, eject; gush, disembogue, cast forth; void, teem, empty; excrete, exude, ooze, leak.