2. cursed, accursed, Archaic, maledict, damned, plagued, anathematized, imprecated, excoriated, inveighed against, railed against, fulminated against; condemned, censured, denounced.
3. inferior, poor, bad, horrible, appalling, imperfect, defective, faulty, Inf. not up to snuff,
execrate, v. 1. abhor, abominate, loathe, despise, detest, hate; have an aversion to, feel hostility toward, be hostile to, not be able to bear or abide.
2. curse, Archaic, accurse, damn, swear at, anathematize, revile, imprecate, invoke evil upon, excoriate, plague, inveigh, rail against, fulminate; vituperate, condemn, proscribe, censure, denounce.
execration, n. 1. curse, imprecation, malediction, anathema, damnation, excoriation, fulmination, plague; vituperation, condemnation, censure, denunciation.
2. abhorrence, abomination, detestation, animosity, animus, hatred, hostility, abhorring, abominating, loathing, despising, detesting, hating; cursing, imprecating, anathematizing, damning, excoriating, fulminating; vituperating, condemning, proscribing, censuring, denouncing, denunciating.
3. the condemned, the damned, the cursed, the accursed; anathema, Fr. bete noire, bugbear, bogeyman.
execute, v. 1. carry out, accomplish, perform, do, discharge, fulfill, consummate; succeed in, manage, bring off, SI. pull off, Inf. put over, U.S. SI. swing, U.S. SI. cut, U.S. SI. hack; mastermind, engineer, negotiate, work out; bring about, make happen, cause, effect, effectuate; put through, produce, turn out, achieve, attain, realize; carry through, complete, finish; dispose of, SI. knock off, SI. polish off, expedite, dispatch.
2. put to death, behead, decapitate, guillotine, decollate; hang, gibbet, lynch, SI. string up, SI. stretch, crucify; stone, lapidate; burn at the stake, electrocute, send to the electric chair; gas, poison, drown; kill, murder, slay, shoot, strangle; put an end to, get rid of, put away, remove, silence, finish off, dispatch; All SI. rub out, bump off, knock off, snuff out. See - kill (defs. 1, 2).
execution, n. 1. accomplishment, fulfillment, realization, success, attainment, acquirement; achievement, performance, production; completion, consummation, finishing, conclusion.
2. capital punishment, judicial murder; hanging, lynching, Euph. necktie party; decapitation, decollation, guillotining; electrocution, gassing, poisoning; crucifixion, impalement, lapidation, stoning; burning, burning at the stake; killing, murder, slaying, shooting, strangling, strangulation. See - killing (defs. 1, 2).
3. (all of performance) mode, style, manner, touch, technique, technical skill; rendition, rendering, interpretation, representation, version.
executioner, n. executionist, SI. Jack Ketch, hangman, lyncher, garroter; decapitator, headsman, behead-er; gasser, exterminator, annihilator; firing squad; cru-cifier, killer, murderer, slayer; bloodspiller, bloodshed-der, bloodletter. See - killer (def 1). executive, n. 1. administrator, director, manager, leader, head, chief, principal; supervisor, superintendent, Inf. super, overseer, boss; master, commander, taskmaster, overlord; Inf. kingpin, Inf number one, Inf. Mr. Big, SI. top dog, SI. top banana, SI. big cheese.
2. president, premier, ruler, governor, intendant, mayor, Inf. (collectively) brass.
3. dignitary, personage, Inf. V.I.P., Inf. bigwig, SI. biggie, SI. big shot; celebrity, luminary, somebody, Inf. big name.
-adj. 4. administrative, managerial, directorial, supervisory, conductorial, regulatory; executory, authoritative, official, directive, legislative, front-office; jurisdictional, governmental, gubernatorial, mayoral, magisterial.
My Account / Test History
The difference is that poison gets into your body if you inhale it (breathe it in), ingest it (eat or drink), or touch it. Venom gets into your body if it is injected in, such as through a bite or a sting.
Certain snakes are venomous, because they bite you and inject their venom (although many native English speakers say "poisonous snake"). Scorpions and some spiders are also venomous, because they bite or sting you. There are plants and frogs that are poisonous - you will get sick if you touch them or eat them.
Sometimes people use poison to kill other people - by secretly putting it into their food or drink. When this happens, we say the victim was poisoned.