sagacity, caution, forethought; sound or mature judgment, good sense, thoughtfulness, deliberation, discrimination, Inf. good eye, discernment, tact; moderation, sophrosyne, Brit. Dial, mense.
2. freedom of choice, liberty, volition, option, will; preference, pleasure, election, inclination; mind, disposition, liking, wish, desire, purpose, intent.
discretionary, adj. optional, elective, open, unrestricted, unqualified, unconditioned; voluntary, volitional, volitionary, unrestrained.
discriminate, v. distinguish, discern, differentiate; split hairs, mince matters; divide, separate, segregate, isolate, set apart, set off, separate the sheep from the goats, separate the wheat from the chaff; prejudge, presuppose, presume.
discrimination, n. 1. discernment, astuteness, penetration, acumen, perspicacity, keenness, sharpness, acuteness, shrewdness; sagacity, judgment, wisdom, insight; discretion, prudence, caution, carefulness, forethought, longheadedness.
2. racism, sexism, chauvinism; bias, prejudice, bigotry, intolerance, narrow-mindedness.
3. taste, good taste, finesse, grace, polish, refinement, culture; fastidiousness, finicality, meticulosity, hypercriticism.
discriminative, adj. 1. distinctive, diacritical, characteristic, particular, peculiar, special, typical.
2. distinguishing, disjunctive, differentiating, differential, discriminating, analytical, critical; discerning, perceptive, perspicacious, percipient, clear-eyed, keen; aesthetic, artistic, tasteful, cultivated, cultured, refined, polished.
3. preferential, prejudicial; racist, sexist, chauvinistic.
discursive, adj. digressive, excursive, desultory, episodic, rhapsodic; circumlocutory, circumlocutional, circumlocutionary, circuitous, roundabout; rambling, roving, wandering, meandering, drifting, straggling, veering; diffuse, wordy, long-winded, prolix, verbose.
discuss, v. 1. talk over, debate, moot, bandy words, Inf. kick around, SI. hash over; argue the pros and cons, argue for and against, argue, dispute, contend, contest, question; disagree, dissent, differ, controvert, oppose; spar, cross swords, lock horns, altercate, wrangle, bicker; haggle, dicker, SI. hassle out, fight out, thresh or thresh over, Inf hash out, Inf. iron out, come to a decision.
2. confer, parley, Inf. compare notes, get together on; go over, review, look at; talk about, exchange views, Inf talk turkey, talk seriously; talk, converse, SI. rap, chat, SI. chew the rag or fat, SI. shoot the bull, SI. bat or shoot the breeze, pass the time of day, Inf gab, gossip. See - chat. (def 1).
3. discourse, converse on, speak on, talk on or about, treat, deal with, handle; present, bring up, air, ventilate, open up for discussion; study, examine a question, deliberate, consider, weigh.
discussion, n. 1. debate, dispute, disagreement, contention, dissension, variance, difference of opinion; disputation, argumentation, polemic, logomachy, war of words; verbal controversy, altercation, wrangle, heated argument, SI. hassle.
2. conference, meeting, parley, Inf. powwow; tete-&-tfite, private talk or conference, review; conversation, discourse, palaver, talk, chat; coze, causerie, confabulation, Inf. confab; Inf. chin session, buzz session, gossip session; exchange of ideas, SI. rap, SI. rap session, SI. bull session, airing, ventilation.
3. study, examination, deliberation, consideration, careful thought; ratiocination, reasoning; inquiry, investigation, examination, close inspection, canvass; review, survey, check, search, probe, exploration;