occurrence, n. happening, event, episode, incident, occasion; incidence, circumstance, fact, phenomenon; affair, case, matter; action, proceeding, doing, deed; accident, Archaic, hap, chance, happenstance; casualty, mishap; adventure, venture, experience.
ocean, n. 1. sea, Neptune, Poseidon, deep blue sea, brine, Inf. briny, Inf. the drink, Archaic, flood, Chiefly Literary, the deep; hydrospace, Davy Jones's locker; open ocean, high sea, Literary, the bounding main.
2. multitude, abundance, profusion, flood, Inf. a lot, Inf. raft; ton, mountain, pile, heap, stack, load, slew, mint, million, trillion, Inf. zillion; Inf. lots, Inf. oodles, Sl. scads, Inf. gobs.
oceanic, adj. 1. pelagic, thalassic, marine, maritime, aquatic, saltwater, sea, Neptunian; bathyal, bathypelagic.
2. large, huge, big, vast, enormous, extensive, expansive; unlimited, limitless, unbounded, boundless, infinite, interminable, unending, endless.
ocular, adj. visual, optical, ophthalmic.
oculist, n. ophthalmologist, eye doctor, eye specialist; (loosely) optometrist.
odd, adj. 1. unconventional, uncommon, unusual, unique, unorthodox, uncustomary, unwonted, rare, out of the ordinary; atypical, singular, original, exceptional, individual, lone, sole, solitary; unexampled, unparalleled, unprecedented, unfamiliar, uncomfortable; extraordinary, egregious, astonishing; deviant, deviate, aberrant, anomalous, anomalistic, abnormal, irregular.
2. peculiar, curious, queer, offbeat, oddish, quizzical, cranky, Inf. funny, Inf. kinky, Inf. off-center, incongruous; quaint, eccentric, idiosyncratic, droll, comical, laughable, Inf. quirky, flaky, Sl. wacky, Sl. squirrely, Sl. buggy, Sl. balmy Sl. off the wall, Chiefly Brit, barmy; strange, weird, bizarre, erratic, freakish, grotesque, Sl. rum, Sl. far out; fanciful, whimsical, notional, crotchety, maggoty, capricious, fickle, waggish.
3. fantastic, incredible, inconceivable; exotic, fey, supernatural, preternatural, out of this world; ridiculous, ludicrous, absurd, preposterous, outlandish, extravagant; nondescript, amorphous, indescribable, un-classifiable.
4. remote, removed, secluded, withdrawn, reclusive, private, sequestered, out-of-the-way, hidden, covert, closed, way out, shut away; isolated, solitary, solitudi-nous, lonely, lonesome, unfrequented; backwoods, Sl. out in the sticks, Sl. out in the boondocks or boonies.
5. (all of a pair) lone, single, sole, solitary, remaining one, without a mate, mateless; (all of a pair) unlike, unalike, disparate, different, divergent, diverse, irregular, unequal, unmatched, ill-matched, not matching, Obs. disquiparant.
6. remaining, remanent, surplus, superfluous, spare, left, leftover, left-behind, unused, unemployed; unneeded, unrequired; (all of food) uneaten, unconsumed.
7. casual, occasional, temporary, part-time; substitute, auxiliary, additional, supplementary, supplemental, subsidiary, fill-in, stand-in.
8. random, offhand, haphazard, indeterminate, indiscriminate, chance, fortuitous, orderless, sporadic; stray, straggling, irregular.
oddball, n. Slang. 1. character, eccentric, card, original, pip, sport, exception, individual. See - oddity (def. 1).