4. common people, masses, hoi polloi; the vulgus, Archaic, the vulgar, commonalty, Inf. common run, commonage, demos; proletariat, plebeians, Inf. plebs; bourgeoisie, third estate, the multitude, the many, the millions, Derogatory, booboisie, Chiefly Brit, admass, rank and file, Contemptuous, ragtag and bobtail; grass roots, Inf. the silent majority, the man in the street, Archie Bunker; U.S. Middle America, Main Street USA; the vulgar herd, the great unwashed, the rabble, the mob, King Mob, the crowd, the huddled masses; general public.
-v. 5. populate, settle, colonize, inhabit, live in, habitate, fill; supply, stock, sow. pep, n. Informal. 1. spirit, animation, liveliness, vivacity, dash, 61an, zest, verve, SI. moxie, zing; fire, sprightliness, breeziness, buoyancy, cheer, vitality, life; ebullience, Inf. zip, sparkle, effervescence; vigor, vim, It. brio, energy; exuberance, enthusiasm, passion, fervor, intensity.
2. stamina, force, power, might, potency, virility; drive, push, Inf. get up and go, initiative, ambition, enterprise.
-v. 3. pep up animate, vivify, quicken, vitalize, enliven, breathe life into, invigorate, energize, fortify, strengthen; encourage, hearten, enhearten, give heart to, embolden; elate, gladden, cheer, Inf. buck up, cheer up; actuate, activate, Inf. get going, rouse, waken; incite, stimulate, arouse, fire, Inf. fire up, Inf. light a fire under; prompt, Inf. spark, excite, work up, Inf. wind up. pepper, n. 1. condiment, spice, black pepper, white pepper; red pepper, cayenne; green or bell pepper; hot pepper, sweet pepper.
-v. 2. season, spice, spice up, flavor, Inf. give some zip.
3. sprinkle, speckle, mottle, stipple, dapple; dot, stud, daub, fleck, speck, maculate.
4. pelt, shower, bombard, fire upon or at, shoot at, blitz; stone, lapidate, hurl things at, shell, barrage, strafe; riddle, Brit. SI. prang. peppery, adj. 1. hot, burning, SI. burny, spicy; racy, nippy, keen, sharp, pungent, highly seasoned, piquant, stimulating.
2. (all of speech) sharp, stinging, sarcastic, biting, incisive, cutting; piercing, acid, astringent, caustic, acrimonious, acerbic; trenchant, harsh, severe, morda-cious, mean.
3. hot-tempered, hot-headed, testy, choleric; irritable, touchy, snappish, petulant; irascible, excitable, fiery, inflammable; hasty, quick, trigger-happy; high-strung, quick-tempered; huffish, waspish, raspy, huffy, edgy.
4. grumpy, cranky, grouchy, crotchety, churlish, gruff; cantankerous, impatient, crabby; splenetic, dyspeptic, temperamental; crusty, crabby, ill-tempered; sharp, tart, acerbic; fractious, quarrelsome, querulous, contentious, resentful, captious; mean-tempered, shrewish, vixenish, hard-to-handle. peppy, adj. Informal. 1. energetic, energetical, vigorous, dynamic, electric; active, alive, full of energy, Inf. full of pep, full of vim and vigor, Inf. snappy, Inf. zippy, Inf. full of oomph; eager, ready to go, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed; lively, spirited, SI. go-go, full of life, animated, vibrant, vital; sprightly, spry, Chiefly U.S. Inf. chipper; brisk, exertive, physically fit and active.
2. ebullient, irrepressible, bubbling over, Inf. bubbly, effervescent; demonstrative, emotive, expressive, effusive.
3. jumping, hopping, cracking, busy, on the go or
More Synonyms ...