bulk, magnitude, dimension, bigness, largeness.
content1, adj. 1. satisfied, gratified, pleased; happy, glad, sunny, cheerful; delighted, charmed.
2. peaceful, tranquil, quiescent, placid; comfortable, snug, at ease, at peace; easygoing, relaxed, complacent, calm, carefree; unworried, untroubled, unconcerned. -v. 3. appease, gratify, satisfy; please, delight, gladden, charm, cheer; placate, humor, pacificate; soothe, pacify, mollify, dulcify; pamper, coddle, mollycoddle.
-n. 4. satisfaction, gratification, contentedness, contentment, complacency; happiness, pleasure, gladness, felicity, delight, cheer.
5. ease of mind, ease, comfort, well-being; quietude, respite, solace; serenity, peace, peacefulness, tranquillity.
contented, adj. satisfied, gratified, pleased. See - content1 (defs. 1, 2). contention, n. 1. struggle, conflict, strife, hostilities, combat, war; fight, clash, skirmish, battle, fray, affray, fracas, melee, brawl, barroom brawl, scuffle, tussle; set-to, scrap, fisticuffs, slugfest.
2. rivalry, competition; contest, game, meet. See - contest (def. 2).
3. dispute, debate, argument, disagreement, dissension; controversy, disputation, contest, logomachy; squabble, altercation, wrangle, broil, quarrel, feud; spat, tiff, jangle, velitation, bicker, row, miff.
4. assertion, claim; opinion, view, belief,
contentious, adj. 1. quarrelsome, argumentative, disputatious, litigious, controversial; dissentious, factious, at loggerheads, at odds, at variance, at issue; captious, fractious, bickering, peevish, querulous; cross, testy, snappish, petulant.
2. competitive, combative, agonistic, competitory, ready to fight; pugnacious, belligerent, bellicose, brawling; opposing, conflicting, antagonistic, hostile,
contentment, n. satisfaction, gratification, contentedness; happiness, gladness. See - content1 (defs. 4, 5). contest, n. 1. battle, struggle, conflict. See - contention (def. 1).
2. competition, contention, rivalry; match, tourney, game, regatta, meet, joust, duel, tug of war; tournament, bout, round, encounter, engagement, Fr. con-cours, athletic event; race, run, dash, sprint; trial, heat, scrimmage; run-off, sudden death, showdown; sweepstakes, derby, handicap, steeplechase; Olympics, (in ancient Greece) agon, decathlon, pentathlon, marathon, (in ancient Greece) agonistics.
3. dispute, controversy, argument. See - contention (def. 3).
-v.4. struggle, battle, contend, fight, combat, war, wage war; wrestle, grapple, tussle, scuffle; set to, join battle with, engage, encounter; clash, skirmish, conflict; joust, tilt at, duel, fence, cross swords with; spar, brawl, scrap, box, fall to blows, SI. duke.
5. dispute, argue, contend, litigate; oppose, controvert, challenge, impugn, counter; rebut, refute, deny, gainsay, confute; debate, call into question, question, Rare, discept.
6. compete, rival, strive against, vie; pit oneself against, play against, oppose, take on, face, challenge.
contestant, n. 1. competitor, contender, rival, opponent, adversary; agonist, protagonist, antagonist.
2. disputer, disputant, litigant,
context, n. 1. connection, contextual relation, relation, relationship, meaning; following words, next sentences; text, substance, subject, theme, topic, matter under discussion.