museum, n. art gallery, gallery, exhibit or exhibition hall, salon, Fr. muske, It. museo repository, reliquary, Obs. conservatory.
mushroom, n. 1. toadstool, puffball, coral fungus; champignon, chanterelle, morel, truffle, meadow mushroom, field mushroom.
-adj. 2. mushroomlike, mushroomy.
3. provisional, temporary, occasional; short-lived, ephemeral, transitory, fugacious, transient, fleeting, fugitive, temporal, flitting, evanescent; brief, momentary, passing; quick, meteoric, cometary.
-v. 4. burgeon, spring up, burst forth, develop vigorously, sprout, shoot up, rise; boom, progress, prosper, thrive, flourish, luxuriate; grow, wax, increase, gain, add to.
music, n. 1. sounds, tones, rhythm; singing, instrumentation, orchestration; harmonization, harmony, euphony; cacophony, dissonance; counterpoint, polyphony.
2. melody, tune, cavatina, song, lay, descant, aria, arietta, strain; theme, passage, chorus, refrain, Music. burden; madrigal, round, glee, catch; lullaby, cradle song, berceuse; chanson, ballad, lied, ditty, canzonet; morning song, aubade; nocturne, serenade; carol, hymn, chorale, canticle, chant, antiphon, drone; dirge, (in Scotland and England) coronach; opera, operetta, oratorio, cantata, serenata.
3. opus, composition, concert piece, symphony, sonata, concerto, chamber music; prelude, overture, voluntary; adagio, andante, largo, pastorale; fugue, rondo, toccata, improvisation; capriccio, caprice, fantasia, scherzo; minuet, pavane, waltz; gavotte, galop, cotillion, mazurka, polka, bolero; hornpipe, jig, reel; foxtrot, two-step, tango; gagaku.
4. jazz, Dixieland, ragtime, swing, jive, bebop, bop, boogie-woogie; blues, rhythm and blues, R & B, country and western, C & W, bluegrass; soul, reggae, pop; salsa, bosa nova, rumba, samba; folk, folk-rock, rock, rock'n'roll, acid rock, punk rock.
5. tone, tonality, intonation, pitch, timbre, cadence; modulation, resonance; overtones, harmonics.
musical, adj. 1. tuneful, melodic, melodious, harmonious, concordant, accordant; lyrical, lyric, melic, choral, operatic, vocal; instrumental, orchestral, symphonic; ariose, Music, cantabile, songlike, songful, singable, catchy; pleasant, agreeable, appealing; singing, ringing, resonant, canorous, sonorous, clear, orotund.
2. euphonic, euphonious, flowing, rhythmical, rhythmic; mellisonant, sweet-sounding, mellifluous, silver-toned, golden-toned; dulcet, silvery, golden, tripping.
-n. 3. musical comedy; operetta.
musician, n. performer, player, instrumentalist, accompanist, virtuoso; singer, vocalist, bard, minstrel; composer, songwriter, contrapuntist, harmonist; conductor, concert master, maestro.
musing, adj. 1. meditative, thoughtful, pensive, Archaic, museful, in a brown study; reflective, pondering, ruminative, introspective, deliberative, cogitative; speculative, philosophical, metaphysical.
2. daydreaming, absent-minded, lost in thought, dreamy, wistful; preoccupied, absorbed, distracted, abstracted, engrossed, rapt.
-n. 3. contemplation, reflection, meditation, rumination; pensiveness, thought, deep thought, brown study; speculation, deliberation, cogitation; cerebration, pondering, thinking, study, lucubration.
4. reverie, daydreaming, woolgathering; preoccupation, engrossment, absorption; introspection, self-consultation, self-communing,
musket, n. breechloader, flintlock, firelock, blun-derbluss, matchlock, wheel lock, harquebus, muzzle-loader, petronel; rifle, Winchester rifle, carbine, shotgun.