18. pressure, urgency, instance, insistence; provocation, instigation, stimulation, actuation, motivation; incitement, inducement, encouragement, prompting.
19. compulsion, pressure, stress, duress, coercion, force, constraint; enforcement, obligation, necessity; exigency, need, pinch, extremity, crisis.
20. crowd, throng, crush, multitude, mob, pack, Inf. heap; swarm, flock, herd, drove, troop; flood, deluge, sea; rabble, bunch, host, horde, army, legion.
21. hustle, bustle, hustle-bustle, hurry, great hurry; hum of business, flurry, fluster, ferment; ado, SI. rat race, Inf. much going on, plenty to do, storm.
22. draft, conscription, enrollment, enlistment, call, call-up, summons; impressment, induction, raising; recruitment, muster, mobilization, levy.
press agent, n. publicity agent, publicity person, public relations person, P.R. man, P.R. person, flak; publicist, publicizer, propagandist, ballyhooer, ballyhoo artist.
pressing, adj. urgent, crucial, exigent, emergent, importunate, imperative, high-priority; demanding, compelling, requiring immediate attention; important, all-important, significant, portentous, of great import; consequential, of great consequence, critical; decisive, determining, pivotal; momentous, climactic, eventful, major, profound; weighty, heavy, ponderous, pregnant, carrying great weight, of substance; grave, serious, severe, acute.
pressure, n. 1. gravity, Physics, gravitation; weight, heaviness, force; compression, density, denseness.
2. coercion, constraint, compulsion, force, coaction; duress, obligation; persuasion, inducement, insistence, armtwisting; urgency, provocation, requirement, ne-cessitation, necessity, necessitude, need.
3. stress, tension, strain, heat, drain, drag, charge, tax; burden, Archaic, burthen, cross, encumbrance, cumbrance, trouble, vexation; All Inf. squeeze, crunch, pinch, push; load, weight, millstone, albatross.
4. oppression, persecution, subjugation, enslavement; harassment, dogging, hounding, tormenting, bullying, intimidation, browbeating; cruelty, severity, harshness, hardness.
5. influence, power, potency, force, strength; control, sway, Inf jawboning, mastery, hold; guidance, leadership, direction.
-v. 6. coerce, constrain, compel, force, drive, press, oblige, hustle, railroad; impel, urge, impress, provoke, instigate, exhort; goad, prod, egg on; influence, act on, play on, work on, Inf jawbone; incite, rouse, arouse; cause, require, exact, necessitate, make; persuade, induce, prevail upon, insist upon; pin [s.o.] down, Inf. shove or ram down one's throat; apply pressure, SI. lean against or on, get on [s.o.'s] back, armtwist, twist [s.o.'s] arm, put the screws on or to, Inf. strong-arm, put the heat on, squeeze; bribe, blackmail, buy.
7. tyrannize, terrorize, threaten, bulldoze, dragoon; bully, hector, torment, harass, abuse, taunt, tease, bullyrag; intimidate, browbeat, cow, frighten, terrify, petrify.
pressured, adj. 1. tense, harried, full of stress, taxed, tired; burdened, troubled, put-upon, weighted down, dragged down, overworked.
2. oppressed, persecuted, subjugated, enslaved; harassed, tormented, intimidated, browbeaten; bribed, blackmailed, bought.
3. influenced, swayed, persuaded, instigated, provoked; driven, pressed, obliged, hustled, railroaded.
prestidigitation, n. 1. legerdemain, sleight of hand, jugglery, juggling, conjuring, hocus-pocus; magic, trickery, thaumaturgy.
My Account / Test History
The difference is that poison gets into your body if you inhale it (breathe it in), ingest it (eat or drink), or touch it. Venom gets into your body if it is injected in, such as through a bite or a sting.
Certain snakes are venomous, because they bite you and inject their venom (although many native English speakers say "poisonous snake"). Scorpions and some spiders are also venomous, because they bite or sting you. There are plants and frogs that are poisonous - you will get sick if you touch them or eat them.
Sometimes people use poison to kill other people - by secretly putting it into their food or drink. When this happens, we say the victim was poisoned.