5. psychosis, neurosis, psychoneurosis; schizophrenia, Psychiatry, dementia praecox, monomania, automania, dipsomania, pyromania, delusion of grandeur; senility, anility, dotage. Psychiatry, amentia; Psychol, kleptomania, Psychol, split personality; All Psychiatry, melancholia, hypochondria, paranoia, mania, lyssophobia, fugue, alienation, delusion.
6. frenzy, franticness, furor, delirium, phrenitis, anoesis, hysteria; Pathol, delirium tremens, blue devils, SI. the horrors, SI. jimjams; ranting, raving, storming, foaming at the mouth; wildness, fierceness, violence. derelict, adj. 1. abandoned, forsaken, deserted, neglected; relinquished, given up, left behind, Naut. (<of a ship) a hull; discarded, rejected, cast off or away or aside; shunned, scorned, outcast, forlorn; bereft, adrift, alone, solitary, lonely, desolate; destitute, desperate, helpless, hopeless, wretched, mournful, unfortunate, friendless.
2. negligent, neglectful, remiss, delinquent, Inf. asleep at the wheel or at the switch or on the job; indolent, lazy, slothful, laggard, shiftless, do-nothing, fain 'eant; slack, loose, lax, sloppy, slipshod; dilatory, delaying, procrastinative, cunctatious, cunctatory.
-n. 3. vagrant, beachcomber, tramp, hobo; beggar, scavenger, parasite, leech, scrounge, scrounger; outcast, pariah; degenerate, deviate, SI. lowlife; down-and-outer, Inf bum, SI. stumblebum, SI. stewbum.
4. delinquent, do-nothing, shirker, slacker, loafer, malingerer; dawdler, dallier, time-killer; idler, ne'er-do-well, SI. goof-off, SI. goldbrick, Both Chiefly Brit. good-for-nothing, wastrel. dereliction, n. 1. negligence, negligency, neglect, delinquency, remissness, Obs. indiligence; laxity, slackness, looseness, Fr. laissez-aller; slovenliness, sloppiness, shoddiness; carelessness, inaccuracy, inexactitude, inexactness.
2. disregard, omission, oversight, inattention, default, Law. laches; disregardfulness, inattentiveness, forgetfulness, neglectfulness; incaution, incautiousness, heedlessness, inadvertence, inadvertency.
3. languor, languidness, inexertion, indolence, otiosity, otioseness, laziness, idleness, sloth; dilatoriness, procrastination, delay, cunctation; nonchalance, insouciance, improvidence, imprudence, imprudency, indiscretion.
4. noninterference, laissez-faire, passiveness, passivity, faineance; nonobservance, nonperformance, noncooperation.
5. fault, wrongdoing, shortcoming; infraction, violation, transgression.
6. abandonment, desertion, forsaking; rejection, renunciation, abdication, disavowal, relinquishment; defection, heresy, apostasy, recreance, recreancy. deride, v. 1. scoff at, mock, jeer, ridicule, knock, gird at; fleer, laugh at, guy, Australian, chiack; taunt, gibe, twit, rag; tease, rally, Inf roast, banter, chaff, rib, kid, SI. razz; flout, scorn, sneer at, disdain, pooh-pooh; scout, contemn, curl one's lip at; hiss, boo, hoot at, heckle, catcall, whistle at, rail at, cry down; Inf. thumb one's nose at, U.S. give [s.o.] the raspberry or Bronx cheer.
2. make fun of, lampoon, satirize, parody, pasquinade; make sport of, poke fun at, make a fool out of, make the butt of, SI. make an ass of; insult, detract, belittle, run down, disparage; slur, slander, abuse, vilify, harass.
More Synonyms ...