squawk, caw, croak, bray; jar, clash, set one's teeth on edge.
3. shred, rasp, file, whet, sand, sandpaper, pumice; grind, mortar, levigate, triturate, comminute, pulverize, granulate, disintegrate.
grate2, n. 1. fireholder, coal holder, fireplace, Brit. Dial, ingle; grill, gridiron, barbecue.
2. grille, perforated screen, lattice, latticing, latticework, trellis, trelliswork; guard, cover, barrier, partition, grating.
grateful, adj. 1. thankful, appreciative, mindful of, obliged, obligated, under obligation, indebted, beholden, filled with gratitude.
2. agreeable, pleasing, pleasant, satisfying, gratifying, cheering, pleasurable, refreshing; enticing, inviting, welcome, acceptable, happy, felicitous, restful, relaxing.
gratification, n. satisfaction, self-satisifaction, fulfillment, self-fulfillment, contentment, self-contentment, content; happiness, felicity, pleasure, joy, enjoyment, delight, fun; self-gratification, self-indulgence, hedonism,
gratify, v. 1. satisfy, fulfill, content, make content, make one feel good, do one's heart good; please, give pleasure to, delight, make happy, warm the cockles of one's heart.
2. indulge, give in to, comply with; humor, pacify, appease, mollify, soothe; favor, pamper, baby, coddle, Obs. fondle; spoil, overindulge,
gratifying, adj. satisfying, fulfilling, heartwarming, rewarding; pleasing, pleasant, agreeable, delightful, fun, pleasurable, enjoyable; lovely, nice, good, great, SI. swell, fine.
grating1, adj. 1. irritating, aggravating, exasperating, exacerbating; annoying, vexatious, irksome, galling, peeving, nettling; disturbing, bothersome, distressing; wearing, fatiguing, tiring, tiresome; offensive, unpleasant, unpleasing, displeasing, disagreeable.
2. harsh, jangling, jarring, strident, raucous; rasping, stertorous, gritting, grinding, scraping, scratchy, scratching, clanking; screeching, creaky, creaking, screaky, screaking, rusty; sharp, piercing, shrill, shrilling, stridulatory, stridulous, stridulant, twangy, twanging; hoarse, gravelly, croaky, croaking, squawky, squawking; discordant, dissonant, absonant, cacophonous, disharmonious, unmelodic, unmusical.
grating2, n. perforated screen, latticework. See - grate2 (def. 2).
gratis, adv. 1. free of charge, Inf for free, without charge, gratuitously, Inf. on the house, for nothing, at no cost; freely, voluntarily, of one's own volition, of one's own accord, on one's own, without being asked. -adj. 2. gratuitous, free, complimentary; costless, expenseless, chargeless.
gratitude, n. gratefulness, thankfulness, appreciation, sense of obligation; recognition, acknowledgment, thanks, thanksgiving.
gratuitous, adj. 1. free, gratis, complimentary. See - gratis (defs. 1, 2).
2. groundless, ungrounded, unfounded, baseless; unjustified, unreasonable, irrational, silly; unprovoked, unnecessary, uncalled-for, needless, superfluous, without reason or cause,
gratuity, n. tip, douceur, fee, lagniappe, Fr. pour-boire, Ger. Trinkgeld, Archaic, vail, (in Chinese ports) cumshaw, (in India, Turkey, etc.) baksheesh; present, gift, Inf. a little something; reward, honorarium, award, prize; perquisite, Inf. perk, bonus, extra, plus, dividend, fringe benefit,
grave', n. 1. crypt, tomb, vault, sepulcher, burial