canvas, n. coarse cloth, sailcloth, duck, ticking, drill, denim, burlap, tarpaulin.
canvass, v. 1. solicit votes, campaign, electioneer, poll, survey; request, ask for, bespeak, invite; apply for, appeal for, petition for, beg for, beseech, entreat, implore; press, urge, push.
2. investigate, inquire into, look into, U.S. check into or up on, inspect, go over; examine, scrutinize, explore, study, analyze, break down, take stock of; survey, scan, peruse, go or look through; consider, contemplate, think about, give thought to, evaluate, weigh; discuss, debate, discourse, talk about or over, air, ventilate; argue, dispute, reason, convince, persuade.
-n. 3. solicitation, campaign, poll, survey; request, invitation, appeal, petition, suit; entreaty, plea, supplication, beseeching; urging, pressing, pushing.
4. investigation, inquiry, inspection, check, examination, scrutiny, exploration; study, analysis, breakdown, evaluation, weighing; consideration, deliberation, careful thought; discussion, debate, discourse, argument.
canyon, n. ravine, gulch, valley, gully; gorge, chasm, fissure, cleft, gap, water gap; opening, break, crack, cut, notch, split, divide.
cap, n. 1. beanie, skullcap, zuchetto, calotte, beret, tam-o'-shanter, tam, calpac, toque, castor, montero, tuque, stocking cap, Inf. toboggan; nightcap, biggin; turban, tarboosh, fez, shako, barret, Rom. Cath. Ch. biretta; hat, bonnet, sombrero, ten-gallon hat; veil, net, snood, cover, covering, overlay; headscarf, mantilla, headcloth, wimple, hood; crown, crownpiece, mortarboard, headpiece, headgear, helmet, hard hat.
2. top, lid, capsule, plug, cork, stopper, stopple, bung, ferrule.
3. summit, apex, vertex, apogee, pinnacle, peak, tiptop, crest, heights, Latin, ne plus ultra; acme, zenith, meridian, crowning point, climax, culmination, maximum.
-v.4. top, crown, overlie, surmount, sit atop or on, pinnacle, tip, Brit. nib.
5. consummate, perfect, put the finishing touches on, round out or off, culminate, climax; complete, conclude, terminate, finish, end, top out.
6. surpass, transcend, excel, transcend, eclipse, overshadow, outdo, outstrip, outshine; best, better, beat, win over, prevail over; exceed, go beyond, rise above or over.
capability, n. 1. capableness, competence, competency; efficacy, effectiveness, adequacy, sufficiency, readiness, qualification; capacity, potential, potentiality, potency, power, amplitude, magnitude, scope, extent, range, compass.
2. ability, faculty, talent, facility, mind [for]; flair, bent, turn, knack, forte, strong point; proficiency, adeptness, skill, skillfulness, dexterity, adroitness, deftness; aptitude, intelligence, intellect, cleverness, smartness, aptness, wit, mother wit, sagacity, head, brain, mind; acumen, penetration, perspicacity; sense, reason, judgment, understanding.
3. withstandingness, resistance, tolerance; endurance, strength.
4. capabilities potential, possibilities; aptitudes, gifts, endowments; abilities, faculties, powers, talents, skills; attributes, qualities, characteristics, features.
capable, adj. 1. intelligent, apt, smart, clever, ingenious, brilliant; sagacious, learned, knowledgeable, versed, able, talented, gifted, adept, skillful, dexterous, adroit, deft; competent, proficient, efficient, adequate, equal to, Inf. up to; efficacious, effective, effectual; expert, masterful, masterly, accomplished;