subsidize, v. 1. support, finance, maintain, back; fund, sponsor, pay the bill, foot the bill, Inf. pick up the tab; aid, help, assist; stake, sink into, invest, SI. angel, set up, bankroll, underwrite.
2. buy over, bribe, purchase, suborn, secure, tip; oil, SI. grease, SI. grease [s.o.'s] palm, throw a sop to; facilitate, speed, expedite, help along.
subsidy, n. aid, grant, provision, subvention; allotment, allowance, expense account, viaticum, honorarium, stipend; backing, contribution, gift, award, sponsorship; fellowship, scholarship, assistant-ship, financial aid, grant-in-aid, state aid, federal aid; pension, annuity, Law. alimony, bounty; subsistence, maintenance, support, help; price support, subsidization, write-off, tax exemption, tax break; welfare, dole, public assistance, relief, poor relief; pecuniary assistance, economic aid, foreign aid.
subsist, v. 1. exist, be, live, breathe, draw breath, respire.
2. remain, stay alive, endure; last, continue, stay, survive, persist, hold; abide, bide, fare, run, wear; per-dure, keep on, go on, maintain, SI. hang in there; scrape by, eke out, keep body and soul together, SI. get along, SI. get by, make out; cope, keep one's head above water, keep afloat, make ends meet.
3. maintain, support, sustain, keep; feed, nourish, nurture, provide, supply; keep alive, preserve, keep going.
subsist in reside, dwell, lie in, inhabit; inform, consist in, inhere in; stand, obtain, hold, prevail, be present.
subsistence, n. 1. existence, being, Latin, esse, living; actuality, reality, factuality, substantiality, materiality.
2. endurance, duration, continuance, persistence; abidingness, lastingness, preservation, survival, maintenance.
3. support, keep, maintenance, board, room and board, bed and board; upkeep, accommodation, sustenance, sustainment, provision; nourishment, nutriment, nurture, food; daily bread, bread, manna, rations, aliment, bread and water; means, living, livelihood.
substance, n. 1. matter, material, stuff, medium, fabric; building blocks, sum and substance, stock; body, something, element, mass; meat, marrow, flesh and blood.
2. reality, actuality, realness, factuality, hypostatiza-tion; materiality, substantiality, substantialness, corporeality, corporeity, ponderability; concreteness, palpability, tangibility, physicality.
3. essence, essentiality, being, essential part, quiddity, haecceity, quintessence, Metaphys. hypostasis; principle, entity, suchness, essentialness; essential, fundamental, gravamen, main point, Latin, sine qua non, vital element, necessary condition; gist, meat, sum total, soul, core; crux, heart, Inf. nub, kernel; keystone, cornerstone, quoin, mainstay.
4. subject, subject matter, theme, thesis, motif; focus, topic, content, purport, text; point, issue, question, case, concern, interest.
5. solidity, density, firmness, stoutness, strength; steadiness, soundness, stability, durability.
6. consistency, body, thickness, stiffness, density, denseness, compactness; cohesion, viscosity, viscidity.