structure, lower part, bottom, downside.
3. fundamental, principle, radical, rudiment, basal portion; starting place or point, point of departure, takeoff, takeoff point, conception, inception, commencement, start; premise, proposition, presupposition, hypothesis, thesis; reason, rationale, motive, cause, occasion, ground, causation, mainspring, causality, leaven; basic element or part, essential part, egg, ovum, germ, nucleus, seed, embryo, bud; grass roots, stem, stock; source, origin, beginning, derivation, rise, fountainhead, font, Latin, fons et origo; wellspring, spring, head.
4. roots heritage, country, land, nationality, fatherland, motherland, mother country, native land, native soil, homeland; birthplace, breeding place, cradle, nursery, womb, origin, place of birth, genesis, origination; antecedents, ancestors, predecessors, forefathers, forebears, family, ancestry, lineage, line, extraction, bloodline, descent, strain, stock, race; genealogy, pedigree, family tree; house, ancestral home.
-v. 5. become fixed or established, send out roots, get a footing, strike, settle.
6. take root begin to grow, sprout, develop, germinate, flourish, thrive, mushroom, spread, spring up.
7. implant, plant, embed, fix, fasten, graft, insert, establish or sink deeply; place, set, put, situate, lay, station, deposit.
8. pull or tear or dig up, uproot, eradicate, tear out, tear up by the roots, dig out, weed out; extirpate, exterminate, remove, destroy, do away with, abolish. root*, v. 1. poke, pry, search or poke around, dig, delve, nose around, scrabble, ransack, rummage, rake, rifle; look everywhere, look into every nook and cranny, search every corner, look high and low, Inf. beat the bushes.
2. unearth, discover, reveal, uncover, expose, bring to light; search or hunt out, pry or dig out, ferret or hound out, grub up, nose or smell or sniff out, run to ground or earth. root3, v. 1. cheftr, give a cheer, applaud, hail, give a hand or a big hand, cry or shout or yell for, yell oneself hoarse; huzzah, hurrah, hurray, Australian, Brit, barrack.
2. support, lend moral support, cheer on, bolster, boost, encourage; urge on, Inf. egg on, goad or spur on, pat or clap on the back. rooted, adj. 1. fixed, firm, set, fast, rigid; implanted, embedded, ingrained, deep-rooted, deep-seated, firmly established, firmly planted; inbred, inborn, congenital, ingrafted; fundamental, radical, inherent; established, confirmed, absolute, definite.
2. immovable, stationary, glued, cemented, riveted, locked in place, frozen, immobilized, motionless, stock-still, statuelike.
3. durable, perennial, traditional, long-standing; permanent, chronic, continuous, inveterate; settled, stable, steady, habituated, accustomed, wonted. rooter, n. partisan, Inf. fan, Inf. loyal fan, Inf. booster; supporter, follower, Inf. buff, devotee, votary, adherent, enthusiast, admirer, fancier, SI. freak, SI. nut, SI. bug, SI. groupie; promoter, Inf. plugger, Inf. tout, Inf. touter; applauder, clapper, claqueur. rope, n. 1. cord, line, cable, wire rope, twist; cordage, roping, rigging, sennit, tackle; hawser, halyard, guy, painter, bowline; leader, lead, rein, longe; clothesline.
2. lasso, lariat, riata, bola.
3. noose, hangman's rope, hemp, hempen collar, Inf. necktie; halter, cord, garrote.
4. string, chain, thread, belt, band, strip.